Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Kunena causes trouble with Website-Layout

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 1 week ago #1 by riona
Hello everyone!

I have a problem with my Kunena (1.6.2) Forum: When I'm at any page of the forum it adds a big space above my website header. I already tried to use another template and different browsers, but it was always the same problem. I added a picture to show how it looks at a normal page and a forum page.

I hope this is the right section to post my problem in. :kiss:
Thanks in advance!
Last edit: 13 years 1 week ago by riona.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #2 by riona
*Bring Up My Post*

I still hope someone has an idea how to fix this. ;)

More
13 years 1 month ago #3 by riona
Hi again. Still hoping for some advice here. *BUMP*

More
13 years 1 month ago #4 by sozzled
Cannot access your website. You have blocked access with a password barrier.

There may be an issue with your Kunena template. You need to discuss your problem with the developer of the Kunena template that you are using. Do you have these problems if you use the Blue Eagle (default) template?

More
13 years 1 month ago #5 by riona
Hi. Thanks for your answer. :)

The website is not ready yet, im still adding content. Thats why i blocked it. :pinch: Would you need access to be able to help?

Im having the same problem with both standard templates, and a random one i downloaded. So i thought its not the template that causes the problem. But i can be wrong. xD

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #6 by sozzled
If you are having problems with the Blue Eagle (default) template then I believe we can say without fear of contradiction that the problem is is not a Kunena problem. I can say that because we do not have this issue here at www.kunena.org .

The problem is caused by your website template. I don't know anything about your website template (because we cannot see your website).

What would you suggest we do in these circumstances?
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 1 month ago #7 by Feemac
Hi Riona,
I'm having the same problems and have noticed that it has everything to do with the modules (Latest News etc) that sit within my right column, when I hide these modules the forum looks as it should. Obviously the solution of hiding these modules isn't practical and I hope to be able to re-instate them. I am posting this reply in hope that others may help to resolve this problem we are having.

More
13 years 1 month ago #8 by JohnHart
For what it is worth, I would expect this to happen with most joomla templates that incorporate a left or right column of module positions and you are actually using them. I noticed that having a "Big Space" is inherent in the Kunena history as noted in documentation such as this:

docs.kunena.org/index.php/Big_Space_betw...der_and_Kunena_Forum

Now...This is a wonderful document to find...but...the directory names are not applicable, and the text in the css file doesn't exist in my default template(Blue Eagle)...so the document doesn't help me. But..no biggie, you can't expect there to be a document for every little problem. But what it does tell me is that this is a known and historical problem.

Forums are best, so there's some interaction and you can take guesses where the information comes up short...then re-share with others.

But anyway...back to the problem. The Big Empty Space

I also noticed that....let's say you have a bunch of menus in the left module position, so they go vertically down the left side. Your Kunena forum will have a giant empty space that corresponds to the vertical distance of all those menus. As you deactivate those menus, one-at-a-time, you will see your Big Empty Space shorten up with the reduction of vertical items in the left position.

I thought that was interesting because the Kunena forum doesn't reside in the left or right position, but it seems to be impacted by them.

My work-around was to create duplicate modules of menus and stuff that were in the left position. These duplicates are specifically for the Kunena page and I stick them up in the top of the page, in my case...positions user1, user2 and user3. The rest of the website has them in the left position, as normal.

Anyway...this seems to work. And I ain't complaining about the Kunena Forum. In fact...considering it's phenomenal integration with a Joomla site...I give it 5 stars.

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #9 by sozzled

JohnHart wrote: I noticed that having a "Big Space" is inherent in the Kunena history as noted in documentation such as this:

docs.kunena.org/index.php/Big_Space_betw...der_and_Kunena_Forum

Now...This is a wonderful document to find...but...the directory names are not applicable, and the text in the css file doesn't exist in my default template(Blue Eagle)...

I understand your frustration and I agree with your assessment. The document that you referred to was written for K 1.5 and the whole templating system has changed since that time. It is very hard to give prescriptive answers to this kind of problem because there are a million possible different Joomla site templates that people can use.

Therefore, if you approach the article you referred to in a specific sense, the actual solution is incorrect (and retaining that article in the Wiki does not serve any useful purpose today). The general approach to dealing with these "conflicts" between Kunena and the millions of Joomla site templates is to analyse the underlying CSS. This means that you either need to doctor the site template (using design tools like Firebug, for example), pay someone to fix them for you (or seek help from the template designer who wrote the template that you're using) or shop around for a template that works.

Thank you for your fair and objective rating of Kunena. It would be really good if you put your feedback on the Joomla Extensions Directory , too. ;)
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 1 month ago #10 by JohnHart
Thanks Sozzled....I submitted my review on the joomla site as you requested.

I do not see this "Big Space" problem as a limitation of the Kunena application. There should be no expectation on the part of the website owner, that every extension should integrate perfectly with every little nuance of their site installation. To expect that, is to disregard the impossibility of programming every extension for every scenario. That's just crazy-talk.:woohoo:

Nope...this "Big Space" problem is simply a little bump in the road...especially when considering the tremendous mountains that Kunena has scaled in the many problems associated with joomla/forum integration. (I've struggled with all of them)

I'm perfectly happy to re-arrange my module positions for the forum pages so that Kunena has the full width of the screen. When you get right down to it, all that's really necessary is to have a "Home" menu item to get the user back over to the left and right navigation features of their website.

I suppose if someone absolutely needed stuff in the left or right columns (like advertising or whatever), then they should take your advice and seek some css help. But then, a little imagination can go a long way with this particular characteristic.

Time to create page: 0.522 seconds