Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question How to override Kunena Controller, Models and Templates

More
12 years 1 week ago #1 by vikasgoswami
Hi,

Can any one know about how to override the Kunena functionality with our own customization?

Thanks,
Vikas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 week ago - 12 years 1 week ago #2 by sozzled
G'day, vikasgoswami, and welcome to Kunena.

I'm puzzled by your question: "how to override Kunena functionality"? What functionality, exactly, do you mean? Kunena is functional as a web-based discussion forum. What do you want to do with it? Turn Kunena into a sewing machine? (Well, of course not, but you may now realise how easily your request could be misinterpreted.)

The subject "How to override Kunena Controller, Models and Template" is a very broad topic. If you want to develop your own MCV for Kunena there's nothing stopping you from doing that. Kunena is open source software and you can do whatever you like with it. But can we start with saying something that everyone understands, please.

K 1.7.2 does not exhibit true MCV-framework compliance in the sense that's understood in the Joomla world.

It is possible to customise the templates, to some extent. It's very easy to change the Blue Eagle template, for example, so that the user view of the forum is different from the view as you see it here but, beyond these things, a question as "how to override the Kunena functionality with our own customisation" is way beyond the scope of a community-driven, self-help discussion forum like the one here at www.kunena.org .

Your question is like "how long is a piece of string?" I think we need more information about what intentions you specifically have in mind that involve overriding the model, controller and view aspects of the component.
Last edit: 12 years 1 week ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 1 week ago #3 by vikasgoswami
Hi,

I want to make customization in kunena component, but i don't want to do change in core files. Because if i will change any core files, then in future it will create the problem to upgrade the Kunena.

In Joomla, if we want to do customization then we have to make the html/components folder in templates folder. Same like i have to do override my own customization to kunena core functionality without hacking any core files.

Thanks,
Vikas.

More
12 years 1 week ago #4 by sozzled
Well, until I know what it is, specifically, that you want to change I will answer your question with:

(1) You can change anything you like.
(2) If you don't know how to make the changes, you can pay someone to make the changes for you.
(3) What specific information are you looking for? Have you, for example, looked at the FAQs (see the menu above this forum) or searched the documentation Wiki ?

Your question, "how can I customise Kunena" is like asking "how can I change Kunena". OK ... change it how? "Customise" it how?

(4) What specific information, help, advice do you want? :unsure:

More
12 years 15 hours ago #5 by contender
What vikasgoswami is asking is if there is a code override feature in Kunena. I am wondering the same.

Take Jreviews for example.

your files are located root/components/com_jreviews/jreviews

if you modify these files but later upgrade, you lose all your changes.

Instead, what you do is create root/templates/jreviews_overrides, which mirrors root/components/com_jreviews/jreviews, and you copy all your files and make changes there instead.

So that way, whenever you upgrade the extension, jreviews_overrides will not be affect, and you retain your changes.

More
12 years 12 hours ago #6 by sozzled
K 1.7.2 does not fully conform to the Joomla MVC framework and so the concept of template overrides or view overrides is foreign in this context. You will find some technical information in Developing Kunena Router

It's possible to define your own views and develop your own templates ( How to create a template for Kunena ) or add custom CSS rules to the Joomla site template and, in those ways, you can customise Kunena in any way that you like and not lose your changes when you upgrade Kunena later.

Time to create page: 0.528 seconds