Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Before posting in this category, please read sticky topics and, as general background, My Joomla site template makes a mess of Kunena .

If you have questions about third-party templates, please use the User-written Templates category or contact the author directly. This category should only be used for questions about templates developed and supported by the Kunena project.

Question 1.6 Templates

More
13 years 6 days ago #1 by biomixr
1.6 Templates was created by biomixr
Hi,

I was wondering how I go about creating a custom template for Kunena 1.6.

Should I just edit the CSS of a existing template or would the styles be lost with an update?

If I edited the HTML/php files would changes be lost with an update?

Is there an article on how to create and install custom templates?

Thank you
The following user(s) said Thank You: scofield

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 days ago #2 by tessak22
Replied by tessak22 on topic Re: 1.6 Templates
Editing the Default (Blue Eagle) template is pretty simple to do with image edits and a CSS change. What are looking to produce?

More
13 years 6 days ago - 13 years 6 days ago #3 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: 1.6 Templates

biomixr wrote: Should I just edit the CSS of a existing template or would the styles be lost with an update?

If I edited the HTML/php files would changes be lost with an update?

The issue depends on how you make the changes. If you make changes directly to the standard Kunena files (and by that I mean, mainly, everything in the ../components/com_kunena/template/default or ../components/com_kunena/template/example folders) then, yes, any changes you make will be lost when you upgrade from one version of Kunena to another.

The way to prevent those losses is to create your own template, complete with any customised PHP code, as you need. You can add CSS directives that apply to Kunena into your Joomla site template. That's one way. You can also create your own template - see How to create a template for Kunena (not recommended for novice users of Joomla but the principles are fairly straightforward).

Let me repeat the very important warning to anyone who may be tempted: Do not change or replace any of the files in the ../components/com_kunena/template/default or ../components/com_kunena/template/example folders (except that you can add new files, if you like).
Last edit: 13 years 6 days ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 4 days ago #4 by biomixr
Replied by biomixr on topic Re: 1.6 Templates
So if I just download the example template and edit template.xml file then I have
essentially created a new template?

From there I can add custom styles?

Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scofield

More
13 years 4 days ago #5 by tessak22
Replied by tessak22 on topic Re: 1.6 Templates
Somewhat, yes. Template.xml is all the information and configuration options. If you change the icon options, you will need to edit initialize.php. And of course, you will be editing the css to make your template.

Time to create page: 0.482 seconds