Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Before posting in this category, please read sticky topics and, as general background, My Joomla site template makes a mess of Kunena .

If you have questions about third-party templates, please use the User-written Templates category or contact the author directly. This category should only be used for questions about templates developed and supported by the Kunena project.

Question Hide Categories Under Sections on Index

More
13 years 7 months ago #1 by daveyboye
Not sure if this has been addressed yet, or if a mod/hack has already been discussed for 1.6. Is there a way that categories do not visibly show under the sections on the frontpage? Meaning, an individual has to click on that section to be brought to the page of it's categories?

I want to be able to do this because I have tons of categories with the sections as top levels, and thus my index is really cluttered with categories.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #2 by sozzled
I'm sure there are technical solutions that can be found for these kinds of problems. As I'm fond of saying "nothing is impossible but everything has a cost" and, in the long run, it has to be a cost that's acceptable to you.

Clutter is enemy of any every website. Clutter is to good web design as chaos is to good organisation. While it's possible to sweep the clutter under the carpet (as long as you have a big enough carpet) maybe it's better to get out a big broom and sweep the clutter out altogether. What I'm trying to say is quite simple. If you look at your website, put yourself in the shoes of your users. What do they really need and want from your site and how can you get that to them better?

There are plenty of people who make a lot of money from helping others redesign their websites, to reduce clutter, to re-energise those sites and to get the focus "right". Most of the solutions offered by these designers involve next-to-no technological change.

So, while it may be possible to do what you've asked for there are other alternatives that are cheaper and probably far more effective for you in the long run. Use the KISS principle .

More
13 years 7 months ago #3 by daveyboye
Well, I wish I can do that, but I run a gaming community website that encompasses players from a several different games. Here is my forum index: skulshockcommunity.com/home/index.php/forum I just want that page to only show the sections, and not the categories underneath them. I am adding some more games to the forums and know with the current method, things will just become to cluttered. With phpbb, I was able to do this via the backend. However with my recent port to kunena, I don't see any options to do this. Is their a mod/hack out there?

More
13 years 7 months ago #4 by daveyboye
I posted this in the 1.6 support forum, but did not see this category below. Figured this post is more suited here:

Not sure if this has been addressed yet, or if a mod/hack has already been discussed for 1.6. Is there a way that categories do not visibly show under the sections on the index? Meaning, an individual has to click on that section to be brought to the page of it's categories?

I want to be able to do this because I have many categories with the sections as top levels, and thus my index is really cluttered with categories. We are a gaming community that serves many different games and we are continually adding more to the site. If I keep this up, things will just become too cluttered on the index. Here is my site forum: skulshockcommunity.com/home/index.php/forum For example, I just want the sections to show: general, source-engine, and WoW, not also all the categories underneath.

Any help would be appreciated.

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #5 by sozzled
We do not have a hacks area for K 1.6 ... yet. This was a deliberate and conscious decision taken by the site management. The reason that there is no hacks area for K 1.6 is because the product has been undergoing development. The changes that people might have made, through hacks, would only have to be done again as the product underwent further changes. Perhaps, now that the development is nearing an end, we should review the earlier decision, or perhaps not. That's not for me to say.

K 1.6 is currently at release candidate stage. After the release of a "finalised" K 1.6.0 version then the product will be a lot more stable so that users can hack it around to suit their own needs. However, the lack of a hacks area, where users can discuss and share their own customisation, does not mean that users are unable hack things around if they wish.

The benefit of an open source project like Kunena means that you have the source code available to you to do whatever you would like to do to change the way the product behaves. We encourage this innovation within the community and we hope that users will share their discoveries with the community.

K 1.6 is completely different from K 1.5. Just because there is currently no hacks area for K 1.6 does not mean that topics can be posted to the K 1.5 hacks area in the hope that someone might take on the request any faster.

I have merged this thread with your original question. I hope you understand that I have done this so as not to confuse users of K 1.5 with matters that do not concern them.
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 7 months ago #6 by sozzled
What you could do is customise your Kunena 1.6 menu so that you have menu tabs that point your users to specific sections. Would that work for you? :unsure:

Time to create page: 0.538 seconds