Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Before posting in this category, please read sticky topics and, as general background, My Joomla site template makes a mess of Kunena .

If you have questions about third-party templates, please use the User-written Templates category or contact the author directly. This category should only be used for questions about templates developed and supported by the Kunena project.

Question Some basic file reference is needed for template work

More
11 years 10 months ago #1 by Winuser
Kunena's multi-file template structure makes it difficult to customize when there is no basic map or reference page. At least, I can find none.

I would like to request that someone prepare a list of all the files that make up a 'template', with a summary of the core (or important) functions associated with that file. Having this information would simplify template creation, customization and development 10X!

So, for example, when I decide that I want to change a column, it would be nice to know which file I need to start hacking. As it is now, I must spend hours searching through the template structure trying to find where I need to execute changes.

In short, please give those of us who can code the basic reference we need to start coding templates. I don't think it's an accident that good Kunena templates are almost extinct.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #2 by sozzled
We understand your concern and your genuine need for adequate documentation to assist you in your work. I agree with you 100% in everything that you've written.

The documentation surrounding K 1.6/1.7 templates is woefully bad - it's extremely difficult to follow except for the more advanced and seasoned web developers who understand the concepts of Joomla extension development. Having said that, some documentation exists in the Wiki - I am aware of two articles (in various stages of completeness) that exist if you search for them.

Even so, the task of writing most of the documentation for Kunena seems to have fallen on the shoulders of only a couple of us because, as you know, "documentation" always seems to be the one task, the one chore, that no-one enjoys doing; I certainly don't enjoy it. To write a comprehensive, well thought-out and detailed Wiki article can sometimes take hours.

I have a list of about 30 articles that must be written (or should be written) to coincide with the public stable release of K 2.0 (which is expected soon) and I've barely begun. Many articles in the Wiki are out-of-date or relate to obsolete versions of Kunena and are irrelevant today.

I have requested on numerous occasions for other members of this fine community to join with me and help write that documentation. You do not need to be fluent in Wiki mark-up language. As long as someone can give me clear, reasonably easy-to-follow information in English (with the occasional screenshot to help things along) I am more than happy to convert this into a format that we can use in the Kunena documentation Wiki . But, in spite of my reminding everyone that they can help, no help has been forthcoming.

The current documents that may assist you (as far as K 1.7 templates are concerned) are: For the time being, that's about the best I can do at short notice. I understand that this may not be good enough but I'm doing the best that I can with the time that I can make available.

More
11 years 10 months ago #3 by Winuser
It doesn't even need to be a Wiki page. A sticky topic that gets updated would be enough.

As an example (and inspiration)...

funcs/view.php
- This file generates the Reply, Subscribe and other action buttons that appear at the bottom of each post.

search.php
- This file is called for the Search function. Generates the search form (fields and buttons).

whatever.php
- Generates the Category Headers and table containers use for the category list view.

One way to begin is to collect all the individual discoveries that appear in this board. Each time a user has asked how to change something (button, cell, etc.), we have a potential addition to the map if the source file gets mentioned in the thread.

More
11 years 10 months ago #4 by Matias
I advice you to take a look into Kunena 2.0 as it has easier to understand structure.

More
11 years 10 months ago #5 by Winuser

Matias wrote: I advice you to take a look into Kunena 2.0 as it has easier to understand structure.

I'd like to, but your so-called "RC" is too untested and will not install over an existing 1.7.2 installation. The only way for me to avoid the error that I reported several days ago is to use the "red" installation option, and then repeat the installation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #6 by Matias
Your issue should be already fixed in RC2, which was released yesterday and where we have no bug reports from you.

We need to know if you're hitting the another bug reported by someone else where all views broke after this issue was fixed. I think that the issues are related, but there's something special in your installation which causes the bug to trigger -- something that's related to templates.

Time to create page: 0.382 seconds