Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Before posting in this category, please read sticky topics and, as general background, My Joomla site template makes a mess of Kunena .

If you have questions about third-party templates, please use the User-written Templates category or contact the author directly. This category should only be used for questions about templates developed and supported by the Kunena project.

Question How do I change the appearance of the undocumented indent tag in Kunena?

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #1 by ccvortex
Any idea where I can edit the bbcode css attributes such as the amount of top and bottom padding/margin for the INDENT bbcode tags? I need to make lists and sub (and sub-sub) lists without using complicated bbcode and not have a bullet point show up.

Example:
I want to make this:

Look like this:
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by ccvortex.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #2 by sozzled
I have split your topic - Use a different editor? - in which you posted your question because it is a different question and I have moved your question to a category that more appropriately deals with such matters as the appearance of bulleted list items.

I would draw your attention to an answer I gave similarly only a short time ago, namely Full screen forum.... , in which I want to remind people about the general approach that we take in relation to generalised, broad issues caused by the Joomla site template choices that people have taken.

The appearance of bullet pointed unordered lists in Kunena is invariably resolved by an appropriate use of CSS code that overrides whatever rules are used in your Joomla site template CSS file. If we had more information about your site (and therefore what CSS rules are involved in your site) we may be able to help you. However, the easiest way for you to resolve this issue yourself is to learn to effectively use Firebug for Firefox (or other web design tools), develop an appreciation and understanding of CSS, and apply these principles in your webcraft. I hope that some of this information will help you and others seeking to overcome similar problems that people may have. :)

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #3 by ccvortex
Using rhuk_milkyway on J 1.5.23 and thanks for splitting topic.

I did use Firebug to find the general ul css and it says it's located in kunena.forum-min.css in which I edited the list-style-type line and changed 'disc' to 'none'.

Seems this works for only one post though which is strange - the next time you create a ul it adds the bullets back in. But your saying that Kunena uses the Joomla template css for uls/ols?

Actually this isn't about uls or ols, it's about the indent bbcode tag that created my example. I believe indent *might* use the blockquote tag but i'm not sure. Any insight?

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #4 by sozzled
Look at the HTML created by your website. You will find that ordered or unordered list items comprise <ol><li> ... </li></ol> HTML tags. There are no <blockquote> tags used. For example, look at the following list:
  • Item 1
    • sub-item 1.1
    • sub-item 1.2
  • Item 2
    • sub-item 2.1
    • sub-item 2.2
      • sub-item 2.2.1
      • sub-item 2.2.2
I created this list with the following Kunena BBCode:
Code:
[ul] [li]Item 1 [ul] [li]sub-item 1.1[/li] [li]sub-item 1.2[/li] [/ul][/li] [li]Item 2 [ul] [li]sub-item 2.1[/li] [li]sub-item 2.2 [ul] [li]sub-item 2.2.1[/li] [li]sub-item 2.2.2[/li] [/ul][/li] [/ul][/li] [/ul]
Look at the HTML source of this page and you will see that there are no <blockquote> tags in this posting.

Again, I say to you, you are asking us to give a generalised answer to a specific problem that affects your website and we do not know anything about your website.

People should never directly modify the file kunena.forum-min.css. We have said this hundreds of time. Do not directly modify the file kunena.forum-min.css! If you want to override the CSS in that file, add specific CSS rules to the end of your Joomla site template CSS file.

Please read the FAQs page, especially the section How do I change the colours of my template in Kunena?

Read again the options you have available to you in the article My Joomla template is making a mess of Kunena .
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #5 by ccvortex
Thanks for the reply.
I know how to create it using uls but the guy I am making these forums does not, and I have no desire to teach him. Using the indent tag is much simpler for everyone:
Code:
Top Level [indent]Second Level[/indent] [indent][indent]Third Level[/indent][/indent] [indent][indent][indent]Forth Level[/indent][/indent][/indent]
If you create a post like this and use Firebug to inspect it you'll see what is in the attached screen shot. They are blockquotes, not lists.
What I am trying to do is figure out where the website is getting the css from that determines the spacing around those blockquotes in the indent bbcode tags.
Is it coming from Joomla or from Kunena?

Firebug says it is coming from kunena.forum-min-css and I tried a template over-ride using 'custom.css' to no avail.

Thoughts?

EDIT: plus, using the indent tag doesn't use bullets which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place.
Attachments:

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #6 by sozzled
I have asked you twice now to show us exactly where, on your website, you have this issue. You have not done that.

Perhaps someone else can guess better than me what you need to do. I am not going to guess or spend any more time on this issue if you cannot offer information that assists.

If you believe that using the
tag is better for you then, by all means, use that tag. I have to admit that, until I read this topic I have never before heard of the "indent" tag! :blush:

If you believe that it's better for you to directly modify the kunena.forum-min.css file (in spite of all the best advice to the contrary) then, by all means, make changes there if that's what you want to do.

If you do not know how to modify CSS then I suggest, with all due respect to you, that you engage a professional to make the necessary changes you need to make.

If you understand how Joomla works then you would also understand that your Joomla site template CSS file is the place that is ultimately responsible for how your site appears. I think that answers your question about whether your formatting problem arises from Joomla or from Kunena (no matter what changes you might make, or choose to make, to the file kunena.forum-min.css).

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #7 by Jiminimonka
ccvortex, please post your Kunena Configuration Report, un-edited in reply to this message, as that will enable us to help you more easily.

Please read first What information should I include when I ask for help (including how to post my configuration report)?

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Jiminimonka.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #8 by ccvortex
The reason I haven't showed you where on my site the problem is occurring is because it isn't occurring on my site per se. It is a general question about whether or not you know if the bbcode used in the Kunena editor uses its own css to format things like INDENT, or UL, etc, or does it pull from the Joomla css.

Indent is better than lists because of the no bullet issue, but since it seems like you don't really know if your editor uses Kunena or Joomla css with regard to bbcode then I guess I am the one that will be making the guesses ;)

More
12 years 2 months ago #9 by CheechDogg
Your question about what css is used "was" answered by sozzled:

"The appearance of bullet pointed unordered lists in Kunena is invariably resolved by an appropriate use of CSS code that overrides whatever rules are used in your Joomla site template CSS file. If we had more information about your site (and therefore what CSS rules are involved in your site) we may be able to help you."

Bullet points and other types of typography are overruled by your joomla template's css not by Kunenas.

Hope this answers your question.

[img
Find me on Facebook.

CAG Clan 1st and 3rd Person Shooter Clan on XBOX 360 & PS3

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #10 by sozzled
I believe some clarification is needed here. There is no documentation written about the
BBcode tag. This tag works because it happens to work, not necessarily because it was intended or designed to work. The tag is an undocumented feature of Kunena.

There are a few undocumented features of Kunena, including mechanisms to enable the conversion of messages originally written for other forums (e.g. phpBB3) which is where the
tag originated.

I have discovered - through my own experimentation - that the BBcode parser renders these tags as <blockquote> sections. Therefore, if you want to have nested "indented" sections, the final HTTP would have to look like this:
Code:
Top level<blockquote>Second Level<blockquote>Third Level<blockquote>Foyrth Level</blockquote></blockquote></blockquote>
To achieve this nesting, ccvortex's BBcode in msg #5 above is wrong! The BBcode would have to be like this, instead:
Code:
Top Level[indent]Second Level[indent]Third Level[indent]Fourth Level[/indent][/indent][/indent]
The next thing that I have discovered is that there is no CSS directive in the Kunena CSS template that handles the rendering of <blockquote> elements. Therefore any assertion that the standard, unmodified kunena.forum-min.css has rules for handling the <blockquote> element is false. To achieve any change to the <blockquote> element you would have to create a new rule for this.

You can indent these
BBcode tags by adding the following code to the end of your Joomla template CSS file:
Code:
#Kunena blockquote { margin-left: 2em; }
Do not modify the file kunena.forum-min.css in any way.

The
tag is "fortunate" - it is there for legacy support - but this does not mean that the tag will continue to be supported in future versions of Kunena. People should not rely on using an undocumented feature of something that exists now only by good fortune. This also does not imply that documentation will be written about how this particular tag works or how it might be used.

Last of all, I remind everyone who writes to us, it is not our job to experiment on your behalf to reproduce something that occurs on someone's website. If you have evidence of a problem then it assists our job (and shortens the time between when you ask a question and when you receive an answer) if you give as much information at the beginning instead of us having to ask you repeated questions to find out what, specifically, is the problem on your website.

I believe this now answers the question.

Time to create page: 0.376 seconds