Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Before posting in this category, please read sticky topics and, as general background, My Joomla site template makes a mess of Kunena .

If you have questions about third-party templates, please use the User-written Templates category or contact the author directly. This category should only be used for questions about templates developed and supported by the Kunena project.

Question Override css changes when upgrading

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #1 by tompasworld
Hi,

I search a bit and if I understand everything correctly this would work. I just need someone to comfirm it.

In this post severdia says:

You can always add CSS to your main site template.css file to override Kunena's styles. That way, when you update, your changes are preserved.

Does this mean:

1) I can copy EVERYTHING from my current kunena.default-min.css and paste all the content in to my joomla sites template and after next time I have upgraded Kunena I will not need to change the css again (unless nothing new gets added to Kunena)?

2) Does this techniqe copy/paste from a componenents/modules own css file the templates file work for all compnonents/modules?

3) If yes on #2, are there any cons with this techniqe besides the css file will be long.

Many thanks,
Thomas
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by tompasworld.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #2 by sozzled

tompasworld wrote: 1) I can copy EVERYTHING from my current kunena.default-min.css and paste all the content in to my Joomla site's template and after next time I have upgraded Kunena I will not need to change the css again (unless nothing new gets added to Kunena)?

You could, if you wanted, copy everything from kunene.default-min.css (or kunena.default.css which contains the same information) but it's unnecessary. A better idea is to add only those things you need to change the style of those parts of the forum that you want to change.

Copying everything from one CSS style sheet into another CSS style sheet (when both CSS files are loaded) is not only a lazy way to go about things, it will contribute in some way to a deterioration in performance.

tompasworld wrote: 2) Does this technique copy/paste from a components/modules own css file the templates file work for all components/modules?

Yes it does. The reason it works is explained in How are templates executed? In effect, the Joomla site template CSS file(s) is/are loaded last and therefore your Joomla site template CSS will override any component or module CSS directives.

tompasworld wrote: 3) If yes on #2, are there any cons with this technique besides the CSS file will be long.

The more data your users have to download from the server will add to a poorer user experience. In other words, speed is something that you need to pay attention to. If you aggregate all the CSS in one place - using a CSS aggregation tool - you may get some benefit but you may also introduce other problems, too. I don't thing you gain too much my aggregate all the CSS into one file by hand, either. The best approach is to change only those things that need to be changed. In most cases, the number of changes is usually very small (maybe 20 or 30 directives). The number increases quite dramatically if you use dark-themed websites (i.e. white text on dark backgrounds) and that's where you can find yourself spending days poring over your CSS with a magnifying glass. That's one of the main reasons I avoid dark-themed templates like the plague.

In conclusion, severdia's advice is the right advice. If you add any CSS changes to your main site template.css file to override Kunena's styles, in that way, when you later upgrade Kunena, your changes will be preserved.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.515 seconds