Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Duplicate Meta Descriptions are a BIG problem

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #1 by triscoe
I've searched and searched but can't find an solution....

I believe, as do many many others that Duplicate Meta Descriptions are a HUGE problem when it comes to Google, I know advances were made in Kunena 1.6 in terms of how it creates meta descriptions which is great, really good - but - (I hope it isn't just me and I haven't done something wrong) but Kunena creates meta descriptions for a topic but it does not add the canonical rel link for other pages within that topic.

So say you have a topic that has 20 pages, each one of those pages will class as duplicate content in Google's eyes and this DOES effect your performance in how it ranks you.

Google and other search engines want specific content on each clickable link which makes sense.

Does anyone know how we can get Kunena to do that? I'm sure it isn't standard as I have tried everything so are there any hacks?

Also, the main page for the Kunena forum takes its Meta Description and Keywords from your Joomla site, is there any way to change this for people who's site isn't just a forum and has various different components?

One other HUGE problem for me is the "Categories - Forum" page title of the home page. In every other forum software out there "Categories" are "Forums" and that is what the search engines are used to... people don't search for "(enter subject here) categories" do they? They search for "(enter subject here) forum". I never understood why Kunena opts to call them categories...

Sorry I'm not slagging off Kunena, I'm asking for help as I feel these are fundamental issues with the product that need to be improved.

I'm on version 1.6.3, this must be a problem for everyone on this version? I imagine the Webmaster Tools for Kunena.org show loads of duplicate meta descriptions?
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by triscoe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #2 by triscoe
My head's frazzled right now after spending all day on this again but I'm not sure I have got this right. Should it be a canonical link for every other page of the topic or should it just add "page 1" "page 2" to the meta description of each page so it isn't duplicate??

More
13 years 1 month ago #3 by sozzled
I don't have the answers; someone else may have the answers. To help others who may want to help you, please read the guide to posting questions at the top of this page. Thank you.

More
12 years 6 months ago #4 by DuckJunkie
According to Matias, it sounds like Kunena has already improved it in 2.0 and will probably make it configurable at some point. :)
Fingers crossed! I need better SEO for my forum!

Time to create page: 0.510 seconds