Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Email not leaving system.

More
13 years 3 months ago #1 by AcapulcoKevin
I have Kunena discuss running with the forum and it has been good until this morning. Email msgs. are hit and miss. some leave the system when a user replies and others do not even though I am subscribed to the topic.

Any suggestions?

By default it seems the subscribe box is always checked could this be an issue? I don't know what to do about the email issue. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #2 by sozzled
G'day, AcapulcoKevin, and welcome to Kunena.

To help us better understand the issues that you seem to be having with emails when your users subscribe to topics, would you like to show us your K 1.6 configuration report, please?

The fact that some emails are being sent at times (or under certain conditions) probably means that you need to look closer at understanding what are those conditions and you may need to conduct a number of controlled tests to determine what are the underlying causes/circumstances involved.

The "always subscribed" setting in Kunena is unlikely to be an agent affecting this issue. Patience and perseverance are the two most important skills needed to be a good detective. ;)
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 3 months ago #3 by AcapulcoKevin
This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Disabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Disabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

htaccess: Missing | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 32M | Max file upload: 8M

Joomla default template details : rhuk_milkyway | author: Andy Miller | version: 1.0.2 | creationdate: 11/20/06

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle (default) | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.6.2 | creationdate: 2010-12-29

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.6.2 | Build: 3894 | Version name: Team | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: AlphaUserPoints: Disabled or not installed | CommunityBuilder: Disabled or not installed | Jomsocial: Installed (Version : 2.0.4) | UddeIm: Disabled or not installed

Third-party SEF components: sh404sef: Disabled or not installed | ARTIO JoomSEF: Disabled or not installed | AceSEF: Disabled or not installed

Plugins: System - Mootools12: Disabled | System - Mootools Upgrade: Enabled | JFirePHP: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Discuss: Enabled (Version : 1.6.2) | Kunena Search: Disabled or not installed | My Kunena Forum Menu: Enabled (Version : 1.6.0-RC1) | My Kunena Forum Posts: Enabled (Version : 1.6.0-RC1)

Modules: Kunena Latest: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Stats: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Login: Disabled or not installed

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #4 by AcapulcoKevin
I use Godaddy and it sucks for mail. Their support team seems to be completely uninformed high school kids so they are no help. When I tried to setup SMTP mail registration mails would not go out and Joomla / Jomsocial would choke on the front end each time an article was submitted. I just set up a cron job and hope this helps messages leaving the system now since Jomsocial says all of it's functions need cron. I am also using the send mail function now.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated. I realize this is mostly free software and so far your forum is the best part :)

Another note.. i have only been online for a few days and am nearing 30 users.. They can't seem to get enough of your forum.. I have used a lot of forum software in the past and I have to hand it to you .. You really did a fantastic job with this!!
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by AcapulcoKevin.

More
13 years 3 months ago #5 by sozzled
In a general sense, I don't see anything particularly startling from your report.

Your report confirms that you're using the default value of Forum Configuration » Users » User Related » Post-subscription checked by default? = Yes (BTW I normally set this value to No in the forums that I manage).

The one piece of information that's missing from the K 1.6 configuration report is Forum Configuration » General » Basic Settings » Forum E-mail Address. By default this value is set to [email protected] (it won't stop your forum working if you don't change the value but did you see the explanatory note next to this field: This is the forum's e-mail address. Make this a valid e-mail address since subscriptions are sent from it.

There might be a hint there. Let us know what you find out.

More
13 years 3 months ago #6 by AcapulcoKevin
Yep.. I have the email address in there. There is a real lag time from submission to email for the users. We are a group that started on Newsvine, moved to Grouply (Hated Grouply) and have found joomla to be perfect for what we do.. we talk about news and write articles. I am getting the emails but not quickly.. This morning we weren't getting anything. The users started to comment about that especially since a wall post is sent almost immediately. It is a perplexing issue.

More
13 years 3 months ago #7 by sozzled
Judging on the unsolicited testimonials posted to this forum, not everyone speaks highly of GoDaddy. You be the judge .

More
13 years 3 months ago #8 by AcapulcoKevin
I realize that. Godaddy bought the hosting company I used. So this time I thought, why not try godaddy.. They don't tell you very important things like ... Grid Hosting for Linux does not offer CGI access which kills a lot of Linux apps and mail functions.. They were happy to switch me to Legacy hosting off the grid but i would have to kill my site and re-install ...

Not cool.. Just getting a cron Job to function is a bitch.. They pretty much say you can use cron but you can't use get or wget or lynx - source..... Soooooo.... What the heck.. they hacked the system so badly that only an idiot would sign up after going through this the first time..

More
13 years 3 months ago #9 by AcapulcoKevin
OK.... This is the dealio....

All messages are going in and out.. I got cron fixed.. what is not happening ....

Messages from the forum are severely delayed even if I add a new email address it still goes to my old email address....

Any thoughts on this?

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #10 by sozzled
As far as Kunena is concerned, email is pretty much an all-or-nothing thing. Either the system generates e-mail whenever topics are updated, for those people who have subscribed to those topics, or it doesn't generate e-mail. There's no "e-mail runs slow" halfway measure (as far as Kunena is concerned) but these kinds of things can certainly be attributed to other causes and it's not beyond the realm of possibility (or probability) that your webhosting provider can provide a key to unravelling this mystery.

As far as the issue of "adding a new email address" (I don't quite understand what this means) is concerned, a good rule-of-thumb is to make sure that the e-mail address used on your forum is the same as the email address defined in the Joomla Global Configuration section. Why it transpires that emails are "going to your old email address", well that could be due to a variety of causes ... and this topic is in danger of going off onto all different tangents if we're not careful. Perhaps there's some server caching involved, perhaps the email address wasn't saved properly in the Joomla user table, or maybe we've got a couple of different accounts. I really don't know how to explain this phenomenon.

Time to wear the deerstalker hat, use the magnifying glass and, if necessary, "eliminate all the possibilities and, no matter how improbable, whatever remains is the answer."
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 0.615 seconds