Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Must I disable all modules and extensions?

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #1 by Firesank
Hello,

First of all, sorry for my bad english, I speak french.

I would like to upgrade my forum into k 1.6 but I have a lot of conflicts with javascript : k2, jce, some modules of news, my template.
Code:
/style> <script type="text/javascript" src="/media/system/js/mootools.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="templates/gk_party_freak/js/domready_fix.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/media/system/js/modal.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.shift-games.com/components/com_k2/js/k2.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/plugins/system/jcemediabox/js/mediaobject.js?v=1010"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/plugins/system/jcemediabox/js/jcemediabox.js?v=1010"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/plugins/system/jcemediabox/addons/default.js?v=1010"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/plugins/system/jcemediabox/addons/twitter.js?v=1010"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/plugins/system/jceutilities/js/mediaobject.js?v=224"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/plugins/system/jceutilities/js/jceutilities.js?v=224"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/includes/js/joomla.javascript.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/media/system/js/caption.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="components/com_community/assets/joms.jquery.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="components/com_community/assets/window-1.0.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="components/com_community/assets/script-1.2.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="modules/mod_news_pro_gk1/scripts/engine_standard.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="modules/mod_news_pro_gk4/interface/scripts/engine.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/gk_party_freak/js/gk_image_show.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript">

I must disable all this to use kunena? It's too much modules and extensions, my website will be empty ...

Thanks to answerd.
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by Firesank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #2 by xillibit
Hello,

I advise you to create on your local machine a new installation of your site by just installing joomla and kunena, and test one by one all the modules/plugins that you are using on your live sit and testing each time kunena (bbcode...) to see if there nothing which broke Kunena.

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
13 years 6 months ago #3 by Firesank
In fact I already did the migration and I have a lot of things when I enable the Mootols 1.2. So now I came back to Kunena 1.5.12
I have no choice, I must turn with k 1.5?

More
13 years 6 months ago #4 by xillibit
If you no issues with javacript into kunena (bbcode, quick reply, profile) you can keep Kunena 1.6.0.

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
13 years 6 months ago #5 by sozzled
I came late to this discussion - I was out of town for about 36 hours - but I would like to make a few comments.

In reply to the general question "Must I disable all modules and extensions?", other people reading this subject might be wondering if they have to disable all modules and extensions in order to use K 1.6. The answer to this general question is, of course, no!. There is no general requirement to disable anything; there is certainly no need to disable everything!

There are a number of Joomla extensions that are known to conflict with Kunena. To be more explicit, there are a number of Joomla extensions that don't play nicely with other Joomla extensions. Kunena happens to be one of the Joomla extensions that these other extensions don't nicely co-operate with. There will be others.

The development team has made every effort to ensure that Kunena is not the source of these conflicts. Kunena does not include Javascript libraries that change the behaviours of other Joomla extensions. I think that this very important point is often overlooked. Kunena, itself, does not affect other things; Kunena is more likely to be affected by other things if those other things were not designed or developed in a manner that is consistent with Joomla best practice.

I don't want other developers (who may read these notes of mine) to think that I'm being unfair in my criticism but there are other products that were not developed with Joomla best practice in mind and these are causing a lot of grief among the Joomla community. We are aware that, for example, the K2 product has been slow to adopt Joomla's latest Javascript library model. There are also similar issues facing some JCE extensions.

Each day when I read "I have no choice. I must go back to K 1.5" I am disappointed. You always have choices. Sometimes, however, those choices are difficult ones to make or they may require time to implement the decisions.

I spent several months planning my first migration to K 1.6 and I'm glad I took the time to do it. I had a number of old extensions that were in need of upgrading. For example I was using Community Builder 1.2.1 (when CB 1.2.3 had been available for several weeks). I was also using uddeIM 1.6 which I hadn't updated for nearly 12 months. I just hadn't made time available to keep a lot of software up-to-date and I also had other software installed that I was less-than-happy with but that I hadn't bothered to remove from my site. Upgrading to K 1.6 forced my hand and forced the update issues. Fortunately I did all those things on a test site and I was able to use that experience to properly prepare an action plan for when I had to do things on the real site.

From the many problems that we read about here at Kunena.com, it seems unfortunate that a lot of people don't do their homework properly and they don't plan their upgrade. The upgrade is "successful" but people quickly discover they can't use K 1.6 and they're "forced" into going back. If you were running a business that depended on your forum being available 24 x 7 you wouldn't do this, would you? It shouldn't matter the scale of operations, attention to good planning is still the same.

Most of these problems are easily solved; when I say easily, I mean they might take a few days to work out the details.

My approach to solving these issues is simple: I look at the points of major resistance - the features that I simply cannot do without - and focus my attention on them; everything else is secondary. I need Kunena more than, for example, I need a glamorous-looking site template. If my site template was getting in the way of running Kunena then I'll readily change my site template. A good rule-of-thumb is to give your website a face-lift every 6 months, anyway. For other people the point of greatest resistance is their site template. If that's the case then having Kunena may not even be all that important.

Other people have other needs. We understand and we respect those choices. But, for every choice you make, for every decision you take, there are consequences and there are costs. For those people who refuse, point-blank, to consider changing their site template ... well, that's your choice and you know what the consequences are.

More
13 years 5 months ago #6 by Firesank
Rebonjour!
Finally, I can update kunena. JCE, K2, Jomsocial have no conflict with mootools 1.2. The last thing was my template.

Time to create page: 0.482 seconds