Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Idea Database problem with mysql instead of mysqli

More
13 years 7 months ago #1 by jstraten
I just installed Kunena a few days ago and it has an impressive feature set.

However, I found one issue which is really bugging me. My page uses mysql by default, but I found that I get Kunena db errors unless I switch to mysqli. Reading about the differences between mysql and mysqli on the Joomla forum I am finding that Joomla recommends to use mysql.

Is this a release candidate problem or did I miss a Kunena setting somewhere?

Thanks,
Jens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #2 by Cerberus
mysqli and mysql are the same thing, mysqli stands for " MySQL Improved Extension "

FYI: The mysqli extension allows you to access the functionality provided by MySQL 4.1 and above. More information about the MySQL Database server can be found at » www.mysql.com/

Documentation for MySQL can be found at » dev.mysql.com/doc/ .

Parts of this documentation included from MySQL manual with permissions of Oracle Corporation.

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #3 by Mortti
mysqli and mysql are the same thing??? There is some story:

Released together with PHP 5, the MySQLi extension aimed to replace the old, reliable MySQL extension which has been available in PHP since the mid-90s. After almost a decade of development activities some questionable features had crept into ext/mysql. The extension became difficult to maintain and the feature set of ext/mysql started to differ from that of the underlying MySQL client library.

At this point, Georg Richter made a clear cut and developed the MySQLi extension. The "i" in the name of the extension stands for: improved, interface, incomplete or whatever you want to call it.

The new extension ext/mysqli supports all new features of the MySQL Server Version 4.1 and higher, for example Prepared Statements and support for Character Sets. Prepared statements are a great step ahead, especially nowadays when everybody is concerned about security.

The MySQLi extension has a procedural interface which is very similar to the ext/mysql interface to make porting as simple as possible and it offers an additional object oriented interface for those who prefer the object oriented programming style.

The new features are the reason why you should switch to PHP 5 and ext/mysqli, if you have not done this step yet. Looking forward at PHP 6, we do not plan to add Unicode to the old PHP MySQL extension The feature set of the old extension is not state of the art any more, even with Unicode support.
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by Mortti.

More
13 years 7 months ago #4 by Cerberus
yep just like kunena used to be called fireboard ( sry devs but that was best comparison i could think of )

More
13 years 7 months ago #5 by fxstein

jstraten wrote: I just installed Kunena a few days ago and it has an impressive feature set.

However, I found one issue which is really bugging me. My page uses mysql by default, but I found that I get Kunena db errors unless I switch to mysqli. Reading about the differences between mysql and mysqli on the Joomla forum I am finding that Joomla recommends to use mysql.

Is this a release candidate problem or did I miss a Kunena setting somewhere?

Thanks,
Jens

Aside from the mysql vs mysqli discussion: What are the errors you are seeing. We have not planned to make mysqli a requirement - although I have to say that I have been using it on all my sites for years.

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

More
13 years 7 months ago #6 by jstraten
Thank you for all the feedback.

I personally don't have any preference for mysql or mysqli, but from postings in various other forums I was under the impression that mysqli has been discontinued and that it wouldn't be available in PHP 6 anymore. That's the reason why my pages are currently using mysql.

If that is not the case, I am totally fine with switching to mysqli.

fxstein, when I use mysql, I am seeing the following error messages all over the page:
Code:
No valid database connection Table 'joomlabiz.jos_fb_messages' doesn't exist SQL=SELECT `id` FROM `jos_fb_messages` WHERE (`parent` = '0') AND (`thread` = (SELECT `thread` FROM `jos_fb_messages` WHERE `id` = '2')) No valid database connection Table 'joomlabiz.jos_fb_messages' doesn't exist SQL=SELECT COUNT(`id`) FROM `jos_fb_messages` WHERE (`id` < '2') AND (`thread` = (SELECT `thread` FROM `jos_fb_messages` WHERE `id` = '2')) ORDER BY `id`

The Joomla log itself shows no errors, but it appears that Kunena has problems accessing the db.

Thanks,
Jens

More
13 years 7 months ago #7 by fxstein
Thanks for posting the error message.

This error has nothing todo with Kunena 1.6 and is not generated by it. This is coming from anything old that you have installed (plugin or module) that is trying to access old FireBoard tables on your system. Kunena 1.6 does not use any of these.

Not sure why mysqli or mysql would make any difference here. You need to look for old Kunena or FireBoard plugins and modules and remove them.

Hope this helps!

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

More
13 years 7 months ago #8 by jstraten
Are you sure? This is the first time I ever installed Kunena 1.6 RC1. I have also never used FireBoard before.

Are there any other known incompatibilities with other components or plugins?

I will meanwhile look for old modules and plugins. Will report back if I find something.

Thanks,
Jens

More
13 years 7 months ago #9 by xillibit
When you are using K1.6, the plugins and modules made for Kunena 1.5 need to be uninstalled.

In K1.6, the tables are not anymore nammed jos_fb_xxx but jos_kunena_xxx.

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
13 years 7 months ago #10 by jstraten
Hi xillibit,
Since I only installed K1.6, I only have tables like jos_kunena_xxx.

I also checked all components, modules and plugins. No evidence that there was ever an older Kunena or FireBoard installation. Just to be safe I even checked all physical directories for leftover files.

Is there anything else I can check? I don't have any debugging skills, but I would gladly do some more research to identify the problem if someone can point me in the right direction. I guess it would help to know how the check is done.

This page isn't really running too many components either. Could it be a JoomSEF problem? I am using the Kunena plugin for that one.

Thanks,
Jens

Time to create page: 0.378 seconds