Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Bug [Problem assumed resolved - no response from user] File uploads not working

More
12 years 1 month ago #1 by davidav
We have just installed Kunena 1.7.2 and have the a forum working on our Joomla (v1.5.25) website.
However we are unable to upload files. The file size limits are set to the maximum and the file types are OK but we cannot upload a simple pdf file. Every time we get the following error:
Error
Failed to upload file '': File was not uploaded.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #2 by sozzled
G;day, davidav, and welcome to Kunena.

We receive many questions on this forum with the subject "File uploads not working" and, it is fair to say, these issues are not directly attributed to a defect of Kunena but rather these problems are created by the way that people have set up their website, how people may have changed file permissions or how site owners may have imposed restrictions that prevent files being uploaded.

Any search of these topics will show that we always need to start by understanding how people go about setting up their websites. This process started by asking people to review the tips given in the posting guide that is printed at the top of topics in the Support section. Indeed, the posting guide is printed at the top of this page.

The process of remedying these kinds of problems begins by going back to the information given in the K 1.6 and K 1.7 Installation Guide . It starts by having a stable Joomla platform that meets the technical requirements needed to run Kunena.

Generally-speaking, file uploads should work without needing to change the Kunena configuration settings. If there is any doubt here, it can be proven by creating a test site, with a standard Joomla installation and Kunena and no other changes made, to see if files can be uploaded on a test site.

There are many reasons why files cannot be uploaded to a user's site. It may be, in fact, that the file type is not allowed because of the rules imposed by a site manager. It may be that the attempted upload exceeds the maximum file size. It could also be that the target folder (where the file will be uploaded to) does not allow other people to store files.

Without the benefit of specific information that may point to one or more of these possible reasons, we can only offer general advice. K 1.7.2 has been available now for over one month; it was subjected to testing for nearly three months before that time; these kinds of issues were not discovered in our own tests. Likewise, we have not received reports about these kinds of problems here at this site. Therefore the only conclusion one can draw is that there is something different on your site ... but I don't know what that difference may be without knowing more about your site.

I hope that some of this information will help.
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidav

More
12 years 1 month ago #3 by davidav
Where does kunena store uploaded files?
What file permissions does kunena need for this folder?
I guess its an obvious potential problem if this folder either didn't get created in the install or if it has the wrong permissions.
I have scanned the kunena documentation online but I didn't see anything that told me this.
I have already checked that the file type is allowed and that the files are less than the maximum allowed size. Not sure if Joomla's settings for these have any impact on kunena or if it uses its own settings independently, but I have anyway checked them in both places and they are OK for the simple pdf file we are trying to upload.

More
12 years 1 month ago #4 by sozzled
File permissions: This information is referred to in the K 1.6 & K 1.7 Technical Requirements document (which, in turn is referenced in the K 1.6 and K 1.7 Installation Guide that I mentioned in my earlier reply). The specific page of information you are looking for is Securing Kunena .

Where does Kunena store uploaded files? Answered here (if you had searched for "where does Kunena store uploaded files") -> Where does Kunena store uploaded images?

I hope this information helps. If it doesn't help, please read again the posting guide printed at the top of this page and post your configuration report. We should not have to ask you a third time to do that.

More
11 years 11 months ago #5 by sozzled

Time to create page: 0.466 seconds