Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Posting guide:

For a quick response, please give us as much information that helps us to understand the problem.
Please read first What information should I include when I ask for help (including how to post my configuration report)?
This category is for:
  • Kunena 1.7 product-related issues only; and
  • when your Kunena forum does not work.
Do not use this category:
  • to request adding to or removing from the standard features of Kunena;
  • if your question is of a commonly asked "how to" nature;
  • if you are not using the latest stable release of Kunena; or
  • ▪ general Joomla or website adminstration matters
General hints: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way .
Please read the guides posted as sticky topics in this category.
Also refer to the FAQs menu tab above for frequently asked questions.

Note: Support for, and all questions relating to, K 1.7 will cease on 31 August 2012. Our advice is, if you are having problems with K 1.7, to upgrade to K 2.x as soon as practicable,

Important Automatically rename attachment if filename has no English characters

More
13 years 1 month ago #1 by baijianpeng
I had found this problem in the very first version of Kunena 1.6, I thought maybe you will fix it soon, since this issue is so apparent that I was sure you can't ignore it.

Well, a long time passed and Kunena v1.6.3 released, but this problem still exists.

The problem is: if the user add an attachment which has neither English characters nor numbers in the filename (in short, if the filename only contains Non-ASCII charactesr such as Chinese words) , though the file type is correct, like zip or jpg, but Kunena will NOT accept this attachment!

This is very annoying!

Because many users in China will try to upload a file with pure-Chinese filename, but failed, they will feel frustrated.

The worse is: Kunena never told the user to "please rename your filename", or "attachment adding failed because your filename is invalid". So, the users are very confused, they don't know WHY KUNENA REFUSE TO UPLOAD THEIR FILES.

My suggestion is: just let Kunena automatically rename the attachment file if the filename only contains Non-ASCII characters, renaming to date-time type filename will solve this problem. If you worry about duplicate filename conflicts, you can add post ID or user ID as prefix/suffix of the filename.

Hope you will agree with me and solve this problem in next version.

Thanks.

www.joomlagate.com/

Chinese Joomla Users' Portal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mihanja

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• joomlacode
  • Visitor
13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #2 by joomlacode
A good question! Your suggestion maybe can deal with this case.

I think in this case use mb_substr function to deal with the file name maybe better.

mb_substr can deal with the Multibyte String,such Chinese character,Japanese char...

makesafe() is another problem.

I don't konw if the developer has other consideration. Most of joomla component use substr,but some use mb_substr too(extplore googleads...), I don't know the efficiency difference between two function.

Thanks xiaobai to find this problem!
Last edit: 13 years 3 weeks ago by joomlacode.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #3 by baijianpeng
Your idea is better, it can allow Chinese filenames for attachments.

I suggested "rename" method because I thought most western developers don't know how to handle Chinese language, as well as other utf-8 (double bytes) language characters when they programming for Joomla.

But, if they can accept your proposal, and improve their codes, this issue can be perfectly solved.

In fact, I think they can solve this, if they really take Joomla user in those countries that speak Non-Latin languages into consideration and really want to help them.

Hope the Kunena team will also agree with us.

www.joomlagate.com/

More
13 years 1 week ago - 13 years 1 week ago #4 by ChaosHead
Last edit: 13 years 1 week ago by ChaosHead.

More
13 years 1 week ago #5 by efanych

More
12 years 11 months ago #6 by Mihanja
Yes, this function is needed!

Recommended hosting vps: VPS with a panel ispmanager lite (Promo Code:648215714)

More
12 years 11 months ago #7 by Liana84

Mihanja wrote: Yes, this function is needed!

+1

More
12 years 10 months ago #8 by zwolf

More
12 years 4 months ago #9 by baijianpeng
Today I tested Kunena v1.7.1 and noticed that it can strip off all non-latin characters from the filename of message attachment, and use the remaining English/number characters to rename the file.

This is a good improment, but, it still needs to be improved further.

What if the filename of the attachment has no ASCII character at all? For example a filename with all Chinese words?

In my test, for such a case, Kunena will trip off all those Chinese words and then the filename will NOT has any character for its "name" part, but only the "extension" part left.

For example, I have a file named:
Code:
这是中文的教程.pdf

You can see that the filename only contains Chinese characters.

When uploading, Kunena will trying to rename it to:
Code:
.pdf

You can see that this is certainly impossible because there is no filename, ONLY the extension (pdf) left!

Hope Kunena team will work hard to solve this, a easy method is to add time-stamp to the filename, in this way the above file will be renamed to:
Code:
20111207.pdf

Well , a file with such a name can be uploaded without problem.

Thanks.

www.joomlagate.com/

More
12 years 4 months ago #10 by Matias

Time to create page: 0.427 seconds