Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Posting guide:

For a quick response, please give us as much information that helps us to understand the problem.
Please read first What information should I include when I ask for help (including how to post my configuration report)?
This category is for:
  • Kunena 1.7 product-related issues only; and
  • when your Kunena forum does not work.
Do not use this category:
  • to request adding to or removing from the standard features of Kunena;
  • if your question is of a commonly asked "how to" nature;
  • if you are not using the latest stable release of Kunena; or
  • ▪ general Joomla or website adminstration matters
General hints: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way .
Please read the guides posted as sticky topics in this category.
Also refer to the FAQs menu tab above for frequently asked questions.

Note: Support for, and all questions relating to, K 1.7 will cease on 31 August 2012. Our advice is, if you are having problems with K 1.7, to upgrade to K 2.x as soon as practicable,

Question New Posts Count Wrong

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #1 by hqarrse
I'm using Joomla 1.7.3 with Kunena 1.7.1 and Jomsocial 2.4.2

The problem I have is that the new posts count is wrong. If a new reply to a thread is posted, and that thread already had say 5 posts that I have already read, the new posts count will show (6 new) after the topic title.

To repeat this, I log in as User A and look at an existing topic. I then browse up one level and the topic has no new post text.

I log out, then log in as user B and post in that same topic. Browse up one level again.

Now logout and in again as User A and the new post count will be total-number-of-posts-in-topic + 1, not 1.

Any help appreciated.

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 8M

Joomla default template details : ter | author: Alina Freeman | version: 1.6.0 | creationdate: 27 April 2011

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle (default) | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.7.1 | creationdate: 2011-11-16

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.7.1 | Build: 5162 | Version name: UnderUret | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: Jomsocial 2.4.2

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: System - Mootools Upgrade: Disabled | System - Mootools12: Disabled | Kunena Search 1.7.0 | Kunena Discuss 1.7.1 | My Kunena Forum Menu 1.7.0 | My Kunena Forum Posts 1.7.0

Modules: Kunena Latest 1.7.0

Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by hqarrse.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #2 by Weider
Replied by Weider on topic Re: New Posts Count Wrong
Same here but Joomla Version 1.5.25 and no Jomsocial.

More
12 years 2 months ago #3 by sozzled
There are different issues with different versions of Joomla.

In both cases, the "post count" contained in the NEW indicator is session-based. In other words, if, in the same time that you are logged-in, you view a topic that had, say, 5 NEW , and (s ahort time later) another message is posted to that topic, then the indicator will show 6 NEW .

However, if you login, view a topic that has, say 5 NEW and then logout. But then you login again and someone posts a new message, the indicator should show 1 NEW message.

There is also slightly different problem in J! 1.5.x. Let's say you view a topic that has 2 NEW indicated. All right, you view the topic and then you go back to the previous (Index of Recent Topics) screen and what do you see? You will see 2 NEW ! :blink:

There is a defect in J! 1.5.x (since J! 1.5.23). This defect has been discussed before in Problem with Recent Topics Tab; not refreshing and I have posted a fix for that problem.

Returning to the original question, however, as I understand things the NEW indicator is session-based. When I've viewed topics, logged-out and then logged in again later, any new messages posted restart the NEW "post count".
The following user(s) said Thank You: CheechDogg

More
12 years 2 months ago #4 by hqarrse
Replied by hqarrse on topic Re: New Posts Count Wrong
Hi Sozzled, thanks for the quick answer, but my site is not behaving as you describe. I an logging out as user A, in as B, out, and in as A again, so the session is definitely closed.

More
12 years 2 months ago #5 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: New Posts Count Wrong
The Joomla session may be closed but the Kunena session may still be "active". It's a tough one to fix and we've all found our own ways to work around it.

Your Joomla session has a lifetime; your Kunena session has a different lifetime. You can purge the Kunena sessions by using the Synchronize User Feature. Another approach is to have the Joomla and Kunena session lifetimes with the same value (remember, one is in minutes and the other is in seconds). Another approach involves "Mark All Topics Read" before you logout (which is something that I always do).

We accept that there is a problem. The question is, how serious is this problem and how should it be attended to?

Perhaps someone in the community has a proposal to remedy the situation?

More
12 years 2 months ago #6 by CheechDogg
Heheh...I definitely a with you on this one sozzled!

This has been an issue since I can remember with Kunena. As a matter of fact, I just logged online and I saw that some of the posts that I had read last night are back to "New" even after I already red the post.

I have no clue how to even begin to tackle this one! I am how ever going to read this thread ( www.kunena.org/forum/154-miscellaneous-o...s-tab-not-refreshing ) that you posted sozzled again.

[img
Find me on Facebook.

CAG Clan 1st and 3rd Person Shooter Clan on XBOX 360 & PS3

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #7 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: New Posts Count Wrong
Thanks for your support.

This problem is a nuisance, especially to someone like me who remains logged into this forum for hours on end, where the new post indicator is wrong on a couple of levels. I referred this topic to the development team and we kicked the can for a couple of minutes without really achieving any definite consensus view. I put this into the things-I-can-live-with-because-this-is-a-free-product category instead of the things-I-need-to-save-up-$5,000-for-in-order-to-save-20-seconds-extra-effort category.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 2 months ago #8 by CheechDogg
Yes sozzled that is the same thing with me on my website. I do have something that might help others since it helped me before the 1.5.23 version.

I created a "Custom" Module, named it "REFRESH" and placed it in the "Bottom" module position. Open up your html source and add the following java script:

<script type="text/javascript">// <![CDATA[
/*
Auto Refresh Page with Time script
By JavaScript Kit (javascriptkit.com)
Over 200+ free scripts here!
*/

//enter refresh time in "minutes:seconds" Minutes should range from 0 to inifinity. Seconds should range from 0 to 59
var limit="5:15"

if (document.images){
var parselimit=limit.split(":")
parselimit=parselimit[0]*60+parselimit[1]*1
}
function beginrefresh(){
if (!document.images)
return
if (parselimit==1)
window.location.reload()
else{
parselimit-=1
curmin=Math.floor(parselimit/60)
cursec=parselimit%60
if (curmin!=0)
curtime=curmin+" minutes and "+cursec+" seconds left until page refresh!"
else
curtime=cursec+" seconds left until page refresh!"
window.status=curtime
setTimeout("beginrefresh()",1000)
}
}
function makeDoubleDelegate(function1, function2) {
return function() {
if (function1)
function1();
if (function2)
function2();
}
}

window.onload = makeDoubleDelegate(window.onload, beginrefresh );
// ]]></script>

What this does is refreshes what ever page you set this module to according to the minutes or seconds you specify. This keeps my "kunenalatest" module updated on my site every 5 minutes. Works great and now once again it works thanks to your "response.php" file!

Let me know if this works for you or who ever else decides to try this out.

[img
Find me on Facebook.

CAG Clan 1st and 3rd Person Shooter Clan on XBOX 360 & PS3
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled

More
12 years 2 months ago #9 by hqarrse
Replied by hqarrse on topic Re: New Posts Count Wrong
I am new to Kunena and the site I'm using it on isn't actually live yet, although the mods and admins are using the forum.

So far I'm impressed and Kunena seems to have been a good choice, but I do though think that this is quite an obvious and irritating flaw - in fact no posts count and just a 'new' flag would be better than the incorrect count. I fully take your point about possible-help-from-the-commnunity Sozzled and I haven't contributed anything yet.

I'd therefore like to help fix this, but I'm strapped for time and new to the software so that's not going to come from me directly. Can I therefore sponsor the work to solve this problem? How would I do this? Through you or post a job on vworker or similar?

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #10 by alsthom
Replied by alsthom on topic New posts
Hello.
First of all, sorry if this is in a wrong place.My english are poor...

So, I recently installed Kunena 1.7.2 and I am really impressed! It's my first meeting with this forum.
I have a problem with new posts. Perhaps I don't know how this is working;
-I login to my forum
-I see new posts in topics. (green icon)
-I click on "xxNEW" and I go to the first new unread post.
When I return to forum and login again I do all the above, but the "xxNEW" remains the same. In fact if a post have been made after I logoff , I can see it as new but with the others posts I have allready read.
For example I see "2 NEW", I read them, then logoff, when logon back and there have been one post added, I see "3 NEW" instead of "1 NEW".

Am I missing something? Perhaps a plugin or something else...?
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by alsthom.

Time to create page: 0.475 seconds