Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Posting guide:

For a quick response, please give us as much information that helps us to understand the problem.
Please read first What information should I include when I ask for help (including how to post my configuration report)?
This category is for:
  • Kunena 1.7 product-related issues only; and
  • when your Kunena forum does not work.
Do not use this category:
  • to request adding to or removing from the standard features of Kunena;
  • if your question is of a commonly asked "how to" nature;
  • if you are not using the latest stable release of Kunena; or
  • ▪ general Joomla or website adminstration matters
General hints: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way .
Please read the guides posted as sticky topics in this category.
Also refer to the FAQs menu tab above for frequently asked questions.

Note: Support for, and all questions relating to, K 1.7 will cease on 31 August 2012. Our advice is, if you are having problems with K 1.7, to upgrade to K 2.x as soon as practicable,

Question Setup the menus, once and for all!!

More
12 years 3 months ago #1 by Linuus
Hi

I have never been able to create good menus for Kunena. It is really annoying and there are always some issues with the different approaches. What I want to achieve is that I only have ONE menu for my forum. I want it to be inside my "Main Menu" and not use the menu module position inside Kunena.

What I've tried so far:

1. First I tried to remove the "Kunena Menu" menu that is created when installing Kunena. Then I re-created the menu items in my own "Main Menu". It worked great but the module "Kunena Latest" can't create SEF URL's using this approach (please prove me wrong).
Crap...

2. Then I got the tip that I should keep the "Kunena Menu" menu that is created and just create an alias for the main menu item from "Kunena Menu" -> "Main Menu". This didn't change anything... Still "Kunena Latest" can't create any good SEF URL's (still can't find the correct Itemid).

3. Last resort.
I removed everything, re-created the "Kunena Menu" menu through the Kunena control panel and then I just aliased the menu items from "Main Menu" -> "Kunena Menu".
Now the SEF URL's are working in the "Kunena Latest" module, but the menu items in my "Main Menu" menu is not highlighted as active and so on.

So...! IS there any solution to create what I want?

Here is the latest thread I created about this issue, it was moved to "Archived" but I don't have the complete solution yet.
www.kunena.org/forum/181-kunena-latest-m...ly?limit=10&start=10

Anyone can help me?

PS. YES, I have read and tried what's in the docs.
docs.kunena.org/index.php/Troubleshooting_Kunena_Menu
docs.kunena.org/index.php/Customised_men...u_items_from_scratch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #2 by sozzled
Thank you for your very detailed question. This topic actually generated a lot of discussion among members of the Kunena project team (for over an hour, in fact).

Part of the problem stems from the fact that there's a single installation procedure for K 1.7 (so that people don't have to hunt around for one procedure for J! 1.5 and and different one for a different version of Joomla). Another part of the problem is the inherent difficulties associated with implementing SEF URLs in Joomla (and this topic may help: How to implement Search Engine Optimisation - SEO - in Joomla ).

In addition to this topic, Linuus has also covered a much of this territory in SEF URLs in Kunena Latest Module not working properly . While it's difficult to argue about the structure of SEF URLs, or how how the Joomla router works (in order to find the correct target), the fact that there are differences in the structure between the Kunena component and another module (e.g. Kunena Latest) may be an issue. The issue is not that these differences cause your website to break; the issue is that differently-formed SEF URLs, pointing to the same thing, may come with a penalty in Google (or other search engines).

We believe this matter has been addressed (and resolved) in K 2.0.

We're still kicking this one around and I hope someone (other than me) might like to offer a few thoughts that will help better.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 3 months ago #3 by Linuus
Hi!

Sorry for the late reply.

Just one thing to note:
"The issue is not that these differences cause your website to break;"

That is not completely true. If you assign modules to a specific menu item and then use the Kunena Latest Module that doesn't find the correct menu items, and thus create URLs like:
".../component/kunena/52-something?Itemid=0"

Then the modules that are assigned to the Forum menu item won't be displayed. Then the site is broken in my opinion.

Anyway, hopefully this will work in 2.0.

If I use the Alias approach (as I guess you do here at Kunena.org?), the forum menu item is not marked as current in my menu.

- How have you managed to get that working?

Cheers!
Linus

More
12 years 3 months ago #4 by Linuus
No ideas?

Time to create page: 0.385 seconds