Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This category is only for reporting defects or problems with Kunena 1.6 test versions with Joomla 1.6. This is NOT a support forum - there is no support for test versions. Users should NOT install K 1.6 alpha or beta test versions on websites with live production data.

Question Avatar(s) not displaying - Joomla 1.6/K1.6

More
13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #1 by DA_MAN
Well I have searched the forums here to death and there's nothing here that relates I can see. K1.6 IS IN FACT uploading the files to the folder properly, it simply for some reason is not making the change in KUNENA for a user profile to display ANY avatar. Very frustrating; BTW, neither image uploading, or selecting a default preloaded avatar results in anything for an avatar, but "nophoto.jpg"

Here's the output, best of luck with that... File permissions are correct (obviously, or it would not be properly uploading the images to the directory...) B)

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Enabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 300 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 80M

Joomla default template details : beez_20 | author: Angie Radtke | version: 1.6.0 | creationdate: 25 November 2009

Kunena default template details : Example Template | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.6.3 | creationdate: 2011-01-31

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.6.3 | Build: 4344 | Version name: Parlare | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: AlphaUserPoints: Disabled or not installed | CommunityBuilder: Disabled or not installed | Jomsocial: Disabled or not installed | UddeIm: Disabled or not installed

Third-party SEF components: sh404sef: Disabled or not installed | ARTIO JoomSEF: Disabled or not installed | AceSEF: Disabled or not installed

Plugins: System - Mootools12: Disabled | System - Mootools Upgrade: Disabled | JFirePHP: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Discuss: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Search: Disabled or not installed | My Kunena Forum Menu: Disabled or not installed | My Kunena Forum Posts: Disabled or not installed

Modules: Kunena Latest: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Stats: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Login: Disabled or not installed

Last edit: 13 years 3 weeks ago by DA_MAN.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #2 by sozzled
Thank you for your report. Your K 1.6 configuration report is missing a few details (perhaps you removed them) and, without that information there is not much specific help that we can give.

In what parts of your Kunena forum can you not see avatar images?

More
13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #3 by DA_MAN
Hello and my apologies for the belated response here as I had a dying rlative to attend to.

Yes, I did remove several things, none of which have any relevance to the report. They were, the following:

1) My email address.
2) The site URL - which as well is irrelevant, but too is unreachable as I am running the install on a "Lab" serer here, though with a full production install (CentOS 5.5 x64) etc. etc... The domain is not currently live nor published up to the DNS's or with ICAN.

OK, I see, while all I "tried to remove" was what I mentioned above, after previewing the post, it looks like some other things are missing too, (Like Apache, MySql and other relevant server settings. - You can be assured that all is well with our lab production server set up as well as the Joomla! install (other than naturally it IS 1.6 admittedly...) Below I have re-enclosed ALL of the data, only this time I just made adjustments to the confidential data to make it uselss and insure the data is not scraped and used for the wrong purposes...

As far as when I "don't see the avatars" Well, NEVER... :) Don't know what to say. oddly, when I went through the registration here, I noticed that the system is using the larger, green image for the default "nophoto" avatar. My install as I noted in my first post is simply using the B&W (gray shades) "nophoto.jpg" default avatar. Uploads DO UPLOAD TO THE PROPER DIRECTORY ON THE SYSTEM, but never display AND --- Selecting one of the board's default installed avatars does not change the user's avatar and makes no difference. As I am sure you'll likely ask, the "avatar" option and all other related settings are turned on, or in their proper place.

Knowing what I know, I am at the point that I am unsure how you would answer this post, unless you are aware of a specific undocumented bug. I have changed templates both in Joomla and KUNENA and have turned the avatar and other related setting and such on and off, the only thing I have NOT done is uninstall the forum completely and attempt a re-install; primarily because this is either a new bug that has not yet been documented, OR a conflict which is yet unknown to the dev. teams. I have nothing installed like "SEF40x" or anything else of any gravity that comes up as possible issues in the forum here, nor nothing I can think of that is not listed... Hope any of this helps. I do not really want to go the route of uninstalling, as it installed properly with no (other) glitches, so I am inclined to think since I am not rushed on this project, it would be of more benefit to all if I/we could determine the ACTUAL cause rather than go the route of reinstalling and such, which if it even had an affect it is then certain no one here would learn anything from it...

Thanks in advance...

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Enabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 300 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 80M

Joomla default template details : beez_20 | author: Angie Radtke | version: 1.6.0 | creationdate: 25 November 2009

Kunena default template details : Example Template | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.6.3 | creationdate: 2011-01-31

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.6.3 | Build: 4344 | Version name: Parlare | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: AlphaUserPoints: Disabled or not installed | CommunityBuilder: Disabled or not installed | Jomsocial: Disabled or not installed | UddeIm: Disabled or not installed

Third-party SEF components: sh404sef: Disabled or not installed | ARTIO JoomSEF: Disabled or not installed | AceSEF: Disabled or not installed

Plugins: System - Mootools12: Disabled | System - Mootools Upgrade: Disabled | JFirePHP: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Discuss: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Search: Disabled or not installed | My Kunena Forum Menu: Disabled or not installed | My Kunena Forum Posts: Disabled or not installed

Modules: Kunena Latest: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Stats: Disabled or not installed | Kunena Login: Disabled or not installed

Last edit: 13 years 3 weeks ago by DA_MAN.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #4 by sozzled
We respect your desire for privacy and we won't intrude further. You say that you can never see avatars in K 1.6.3 and J! 1.6.1 and I have to say that other people are not in the same situation as you. I will try to advise you as best I can but you should realise that I'm flying blind in this case and without the benefit of previous experience to guide me.

Please use the Kunena Blue Eagle (default) template. Do not use the "example template" unless you know what you are doing. The "example template" is a template of a template; it is not a fully-functioning template in its own right.

If you have made any customised changes to your Kunena configuration, I suggest that you restore them to "factory defaults" - use the Default button on the Forum Configuration page (top right corner).

I recommend that you read, carefully and thoroughly, K 1.6 Technical Requirements .

If this does not work, I suggest that you try to establish that you have a solid foundation to work with, namely:
  1. A clean J! 1.6.1 website, with no changes and no additional software (except for, perhaps, Akeeba Backup or something similar), with a properly functioning Joomla SEO enabled.

2. Kunena 1.6.3, with no changes to it.
People also need to understand that, while we encourage experimentation with K 1.6.x and J! 1.6.x, neither the current publicly-available K 1.6.3 nor J! 1.6.x are at a stage where the combination of the two are considered advisable as a platform on which to base a new production website. The purpose of this experimentation is to assist the development team to discover problems with Kunena and to resolve them, quickly, for everyone's benefit. This is why we ask for full, honest K 1.6 configuration reports to assist us.

I hope that some of what I have written may have been helpful to you.
Last edit: 13 years 3 weeks ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #5 by DA_MAN
Hmm, well I suppose considering your post I should reply "in the order received..."

Nothing to hide really, other than our mail server's address; unless you are new to the Internet, I think you would likely not question that. Secondly, I do not think our planned URL is anything that is appropriate to publish at this time, nor the name of the system we are trying to implement. Finally, since as I stated, the entire system is running on our LAN an a production configuration "LAB SERVER" and is isolated, the domain where it will end up is not properly propagated to DNS and ICAN registration is still pending - pending that we find a solution that meats the needs for such a site. Well I would think all of these things would be sort of common sense to everyone. I'd be more than happy to let people "see for themselves" if this were "live" but it is not, so all of the aforementioned, seems appropriate. No cloak and dagger sort of secrecy here at all, just a mix of common sense and the reality that no one in the community can reach what is not live yet... :)

I took all of the steps you mentioned, both prior to posting as well as after just now reading your reply, no change of status...

People also need to understand that, while we encourage experimentation with K 1.6.x and J! 1.6.x, neither the current publicly-available K 1.6.3 nor J! 1.6.x are at a stage where the combination of the two are considered advisable as a platform on which to base a new production website.

Indeed, it is not live, but developing something using Joomla 1.5 as your CMS that you expect to have any sort of lifetime and does not simply have a several month shelf-life is simply bad, bad, bad. There will be many changes to Joomla up to 2.0, many of which will not be fun. Migrating a complex site from 1.5 to 1.6 is not a simple matter and with the sort of framework and end product we are trying to achieve, would basically mean re-authoring EVERYTHING. If I wanted to have that much labor involved, I'd just author the entire site, including the forum using no CMS backbone at all.

The primary reason for me to post here is to work with the development team. You say others do not share this situation; I truly believe that, for there is nothing applicable to date on the forum here - UNTIL now. I thought that was what we were all working toward. Your recommendation of using J1.5 and K1.6 would have never found this conflict. It may be a bug in KUNENA, it may be a rare conflict with a setting that we might want to alert our friends in the dev. team over at Joomla.

I could start over from scratch, but as I eluded to in my first post, I do not see how that helps us get to the root cause here, so either it can be "fixed" if it truly is a bug of some nature; (on anyone's end...) or if it is some sort of settings conflict (that would mean a setting that is valid in J1.6 is conflicting with K1.6.3...) it is still a "bug" with KUNENA, not Joomla - KUNENA was developed to operate with Joomla, not the other way around.

I am only trying to be of service here. Perhaps, did I post this to the wrong area on the forums? I did not readily see a developer's thread, if there is such a place, it would be appropriate to move/migrate this thread there until it is sorted out.

I am hopeful what I have written is taken in the right light and as well, have only posted here to try and work this out for the benefit of everyone, which naturally includes myself as well. :-)

I did mention (I think) that when I went through the registration process here, well, as you can see, there is a different default icon (that being green...) here that file is:

"user.png"

In K1.6.3, I see the "nophoto.jpg" instead and have even after multiple new registration (as the superadmin, really does not have to register; its automatic...) stiil see it throughout and after the process is complete. Do the two versions have different ways of handling a non-existent avatar? Also, I have not looked, but I am guessing perhaps the info for one's profile data "should" be contained in MySql. Is that correct? If so, I can do some work with queries and take a look at what is there, what is not and perhaps see why it is failing to either ever store the change in an avatar, or perhaps is not writing the correct pointer for the avatar file; thus leaving it to default to the "nophoto.jpg" instead.

The only other thing I can think to ask, is can anyone give me any tips for debugging (literally, I am referring to expected output within Joomla for KUNENA when setting debugging to "on" and inspecting verbose outputs) KUNENA?

Don't know, that is all I have for now. I have other engagements to work with as I mentioned, but I will begin to tear into what is happening in the next couple of days. Any assistance in helping me track this down in the end could only help the community as a whole. :-)

Thanks for your reply.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #6 by sozzled
I'm not here to debate the merits, the pros and cons of J! 1.6.x - these are matters for individuals to consider for themselves.

If you are working on a closed LAN, then you also need to consider what we have also written in Support for PC-hosted websites (e.g. WAMP, XAMPP) . Issues in these kinds of environments are, largely, issues that people need to work through themselves. I should also make the observation that, in many cases, the issues that are identified when users operate in a closed, laboratory-test environment, may not be in evidence on an open, internet platform and that, perhaps, this might explain why you are having difficulties with avatars in your current environment.

But this is not, necessarily, a conclusive assessment of the situation, either.

There have been a lot of changes made to Kunena since K 1.6.3 was released. At this time we are working towards a K 1.6.4 public release. This new version is even more J! 1.6-friendly than its predecessors and this may be something that might help in your case. If you would like to test this version (currently undergoing testing, with no guarantees that any questions relating to it will be answered or any problems that you may encounter will be resolved by us), please send me a PM and we can discuss arrangements to get this version to you.

We appreciate your enthusiasm to help in our work. Perhaps you would like to join our testing team? Please go to www.kunena.org/people/groups/viewgroup/1...icial+Kunena+Testers
Last edit: 13 years 3 weeks ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 2 weeks ago - 13 years 2 weeks ago #7 by DA_MAN
For anyone that may end up reading this thread with a similar issue, I am going to close discussion on the topic here as it only seems logical that if I am to debug KUNENA, I do so with the dev. team's current svn for the public release of KUNENA 1.6.4 and NOT with this release.

Also for the record, if you've read through the topic, keep in mind what the moderator has commented upon; while I think they missed at one point what system is in use, his comments with regard to WAMP and XAMPP which very easily could be relevant (for Joomla, KUNENA OR ANY web oriented systems installed in such a fashion on a PC - ALWAYS FIRST head to the WAMP or XAMPP PC documentation and support, before asking questions with the actual software environment community if you are running such an install on top of Windows...) - Yet said recommendations do not apply for our development environment which is as follows:

IN-HOUSE PRODUCTION SERVER (TESTING/LAB SERVER) SYSTEM:

2 X AMD Dual Opterons at 2.6 GHz (4 total physical cores)
16 GB ECC DDR 400 RAM
TB's of RAID storage arrays...

This is an "older system" but still a very capable and viable platform with specs very similar to what you'll still see today with the majority of shared hosting providers using to serve a large group of customers.

OS Environment:

CentOS (RHEL) 5.5 x64 (up-to date as of this writing.)

ISPCONFIG 3.0.3.2 (A viable and highly recommended substitute for C-Panel, whose licensing costs cannot be warranted on an internal LAB SERVER)

PHP Enviroment:
PHP Version 5.2.16

Apache Enviroment:
Apache/2.2.17 (EL)

Obviously, MySQL:
MySQL Version: 5.1.52

And of course, part of running an ISP configuration, for ease of administrating MySQL; phpMyadmin is installed and up to date, though it's versioning and such is totally irrelevant to anything but being able to easily and properly administer your MySQL databases...

All of the "usual" PHP extensions one would find on the common shared hosting plans available today are in place and set up nearly identical to the majority of the shared hosting servers we see in use (and use or provide) today.

I am now off to PM the Moderator and we'll work with the dev. team here toward a goal of getting the 1.6.4 Public Release's svn - Joomla! 1.6x underway and bug/hiccup free... :)

Thanks
Last edit: 13 years 2 weeks ago by DA_MAN. Reason: grammar

Time to create page: 0.419 seconds