Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Users viewing v Users online

More
12 years 9 months ago #1 by bigblue
I can't find any answers to this anywhere, so hopefully someone can advise ?

My forum is private, only for registered users - no public access. Clicking into a category shows 4 registered users viewing - but at the bottom where it shows online users there is only myself showing. Checked on home page 'Who's Online' module and it only shows me as logged in also. Is this a cache issue with the users viewing output ? How do I fix this? At the moment I have members thinking there are people online, when in fact they're not.

Using RT template with J!1.6.3 with K1.6.4 (default template).

Thx

SUPPORT KUNENA - The numero uno forum for Joomla !!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #2 by sozzled
First of all, I don't know whether this is a big problem, a problem of Joomla, a problem of Kunena, a problem with people who are fearful and suspicious or a combination of all these issues.

With a large forum like this one at www.kunena.org , I don't pay any attention to how many people are registered members, how many guests there are online, who is looking at what topic or category or Kunena page, etc. I don't look at these things because I am usually too busy trying to respond to the dozens of questions (many of them the same questions) that people ask each day and to reassure people that they have a sympathetic ear here.

There are two ways that we can tackle this issue. One way is to reassure your users that the information they see on your site is nothing to be fearful of or concerned about. Another way to deal with the lack of trust that your users have with Kunena, is to hide the information from their view. The third way is to spend a lot of time, money, energy and effort to do the detective work, propose a solution, test it and wait for the next release in a couple of months' time.

A really simple solution is to add the following lines to the end of your Joomla site template CSS file:

#Kunena .path-element-users {
display: none;
}

I think you will find that if you do this, all of a sudden your real problems (i.e. the fear and suspicion that exists among your users) will disappear.

Another useful change that you can make is to set the configuration option:

Forum Configuration » Plugins » Statistics Plug-in Settings » Show Who is Online = No

I think you will find that, if you make these changes, your problems will go away. Good luck. :)
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 9 months ago #3 by bigblue
Are you serious?

I asked a valid question to try to find a constructive answer or some helpful advice that would maybe help to fix the issue. Sweeping the problem under the carpet by recommending to either disable or remove both online and viewing users is not what I expected - nor what I wish to do. If that's the only recommendations on offer, then I may as well just disable Kunena altogether, that would also remove the problem - but it wouldn't fix it !

There is clearly an issue, but stating I have a real problem involving 'fear and suspicion' with my users is just beyond belief. The question I asked was actually brought to my attention by users of my forum and I told them I'd try and find out the cause.. which is why I posted here - sounds logical to me.

Just to reiterate - the online users total is correct - but the viewing users is incorrect, considering that some of them aren't even showing online. For some reason, users who are NOT online are actually shown as viewing - how can that be? That, in my book, tells me there is an issue. I don't want to disable stuff to make the problem go away, I want to try and fix the problem - if indeed it is a valid issue.

Also, isn't testing any possible issues and then documenting and implementing fixes for future releases what happens?

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #4 by sozzled
BigBlue wrote:

Just to reiterate - the online users total is correct - but the viewing users is incorrect,

Yes. We are aware of this defect in Joomla. If you search this forum you will find that has been said on dozens of occasions in the past. The problem is in Joomla and there is nothing that the Kunena developers can do about it until the Joomla core is changed.

I can assure you, BigBlue, I was being 100% serious.

We can devote an enormous amount of effort into identifying the causes of your users complaints. We can spend a lot of time working on ways to address and find a technological solution that addresses the complaints. We can divert much-needed effort away from improving the overall performance, effectiveness and interoperability of Kunena in working with Joomla and other Joomla extensions, in order to satisfy the needs of the complainants.

Alternatively, we can remove the source of the complaint. In other words, remove the statistics so that people will not have anything to complain about.

However, if dealing with the complaint is important, and people are willing to work with project development team to solve the technological aspects of the complaint, then we welcome those positive and constructive efforts to deal with those things. But, let's be clear on one important matter.

Kunena is a community-driven open-source project that benefits only by the voluntary contribution of a handful of hobbyists and enthusiasts. We, who try to help, receive no financial reward for our efforts. Sometimes we're able to help and sometimes we're not. I was only trying to offer you a short-term solution. I'm sorry you weren't able to appreciate it in the spirit in which it was offered.
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 9 months ago #5 by bigblue

sozzled wrote: Yes. We are aware of this defect in Joomla. If you search this forum you will find that has been said on dozens of occasions in the past. The problem is in Joomla and there is nothing that the Kunena developers can do about it until the Joomla core is changed.

Now that's a positive answer which you could have told me in the beginning - I wasn't aware it's already been documented or I wouldn't be sat typing away to you now. As I mentioned in the very first line of my original post, I had searched the forums and was unable to find anything on this - which is why I asked. I'm quite aware of how busy you must be replying to the many posts received on this forum, it was never my intention to waste anyone's time, only to find some constructive advice.

sozzled wrote: I was only trying to offer you a short-term solution. I'm sorry you weren't able to appreciate it in the spirit in which it was offered.

Any positive answer is always appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to reply. I have always found people on this forum helpful and, in most cases, able to help resolve any issues that I've had. Kunena is a great product that we all know will become better over time and, like most people, I appreciate the time and effort that goes into it by the developers.

Sozzled, my post wasn't a complaint in any way, it was solely to try and find a solution to my problem - that's all. I'm sure anyone reading this has to admit - saying my users are full of fear and suspicion really wasn't helpful in the least - but telling me now that the problem lies with the Joomla core etc. obviously is - and I appreciate and thank you for that.

Thx

More
12 years 9 months ago #6 by sozzled

bigblue wrote: Now that's a positive answer which you could have told me in the beginning.

I'm sorry. I thought had already searched for the question/answer before. :blush:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bigblue

More
12 years 9 months ago #7 by ayecapn
I'm not sure if this is related, but I get a count of 0 for both users viewing and online... even though it displays the usernames of people logged in as users...