Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved Merging categories/subfora?

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #1 by Polonia
Dear Kunena community,

I am trying to merge categories in my forum. Over the years, I have created many subforums in my board that now are obsolete or simply too spread. I want to reduce the categories from ~20 to around 6-8.

I know how to move a topic from one categorie into another, but I can't figure out how to move all the topics in a categorye into another one! OF course, I could do it one by one, but then I would have to move around 400 topics in such time consuming way.

Hence, is there a way of doing that in bulk? Perhaps touching some strings directly in phpmyadmin?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if that is a silly topic, but I haven't found anything similar in the forum discussing this topic!

J.
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Change topic icon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #2 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic Merging categories/subfora?
You can use phpMyAdmin. Just select all messages in one category and move them to another. But make sure that other tables with catid gets updated, too.

I have a lot of ideas for different tools, but I need to find some time to make those. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Polonia

More
11 years 9 months ago #3 by Polonia
Replied by Polonia on topic Merging categories/subfora?
Thanks Matias,

Yes, I'll do that. I just wanted to be sure there was not a easiest way, or perhaps more obvious, and I was missing it :)

More
11 years 9 months ago #4 by Polonia
Actually, the option at the foot of each page once inside of the category with "move/remove/copy..." to another category is good enough. In 6-7 actions I can move all the topics of the biggest of the categories I need to remove.

I am moving the smallest category to the biggest one, and renaming the "surviving" with the name I need (sometimes is one category, or the other).

But thanks again!

More
11 years 9 months ago #5 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Merging categories/subfora?

Polonia wrote: Actually, the option at the foot of each page once inside of the category with "move/remove/copy..." to another category is good enough. In 6-7 actions I can move all the topics of the biggest of the categories I need to remove.

In fact, that's actually what I do when I need to move items from one category into another one here at www.kunena.org . ;) Even with 400 topics to move, if you list 30 topics per page it will take you less than 10 minutes (14 or so move operations) to complete the task. B)

Not an enjoyable activity but, fortunately, we only have to do things like that once every couple of years or so! :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Polonia

More
11 years 9 months ago #6 by Polonia
Yes, probably if we merge the time that we spend doing that, globally, is not really much more that developers would need to do it, test it, implement it, etc...

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.375 seconds