Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question [Resolved] Notification when locked?

More
12 years 1 month ago #1 by modernmagic
Kunena 1.7.2 j2.5.3

Is there a way to have subscribers notified when a topic is locked?

We focus on creating, managing and optimizing Joomla websites so you can focus on your own business
modernmagic.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #2 by sozzled
I cannot see why susbscribers to a locked topic/category would not continue to receive notifications if a new message is posted. :unsure:

More
12 years 1 month ago #3 by modernmagic
I have tested it and it doesn't appear to work.

Here is my test:
1. Betty is subscribed to topic A and does receive normal notifications.
2. Moderator locks Topic A
3. Betty does not receive an email that topic has been locked.

We focus on creating, managing and optimizing Joomla websites so you can focus on your own business
modernmagic.com

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #4 by sozzled
Betty won't receive a notification that a topic was locked. Why should she? Locking a topic is not the same as posting a reply.

But, what happens if, after locking the topic, the moderator posts a reply to the locked topic? Remember, only moderators can post in locked topics/categories. ;)
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 1 month ago #5 by modernmagic
So the work around is to have the moderator write one last post stating "This post is locked" after they lock it.

I was hoping for automated solution.

modernmagic.com

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #6 by sozzled
If a moderator locks a topic or a category or moves a topic into a locked category (or deletes a topic, or splits or merges a topic, or does any other kind of moderation activity), unless the moderator advises the people who may be interested in that topic, "nothing" happens. It's just a matter of how you run your forum.

When you look at how I deal with the many questions posted on this forum here at www.kunena.org , where I think it might be helpful to inform people that I've done something to their topic (e.g. edit or change a message, change the subject or merge the topic with another one), I usually post some advice to let them know what I've done. It's just a common courtesy.

There's nothing broken in Kunena as far as this matter is concerned.

I have moved this topic to a different category because, in my opinion, this is not really a "product support" question. I hope that answers your question (and helps other people who may also be interested in this matter).

*** Topic moved to different category ***

More
12 years 1 month ago #7 by modernmagic
I will inform the moderators that they need to post a reply after clicking lock.

Maybe this can be a future request as an option in the Forum Configuration / Subscriptions area.

thanks

modernmagic.com

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #8 by sozzled
Interesting point. I would like you to consider the following scenario:

Imagine a category involving a few thousand messages (several hundred topics) and it is decided to lock the whole category (possibly involving several sub-categories). Would you think it desirable or necessary to inform everyone who has subscribed to that category (or maybe just the topics in that category) that the topics/category had been locked or moved to a different category?

This situation is not unrealistic. A few months ago we decided to archive all the topics relating to K 1.5. We moved them to a "K 1.5 archive" section. The categories in that section were all locked (because K 1.5 was dead and we simply could not respond to issues that have been resolved by using later versions of Kunena). I think you would agree that it would have served no useful purpose to have sent hundreds (or possibly thousands) of email notifications to people who posted something in those topics - many of those people are probably no longer even interested in what may have been discussed one, two or three years ago .. or maybe they're not even active members of the community any more - because we've all "moved on".

So, while there may be, in some cases, some benefit, it's also just my opinion that people who use web-based discussion forums should visit the forums every now and then to see what's current.

We don't often lock topics here at this forum. I think it's also fair to say that locking topics is not a commonplace activity among people who run web-based discussion forums. But, when such things do happen, it's not really the site administrator's obligation (nor is it the obligation of the moderators) to inform people every time changes like these occur. It's really up to the "end user" to acquaint themselves with the way the forum operates.

When there are "wholesale" changes (like the ones I've mentioned above), we usually make an announcement on the forum - something like "We have closed our K 1.5 categories" - or we give people advance warning that we're going to do something like this in the near future. As I mentioned earlier, it's more a matter of courtesy than it is a matter of obligation. However, I agree with you that it's a good idea to let your moderators know what you expect of them. I hope this helps. :)

More
12 years 1 month ago #9 by modernmagic
Thanks for the reply.

I now see it was necessary to better describe my use of Kunena.

Since I could not find a joomla extension to use as a Proofing system, I decided to think outside the box and use kunena.

We have 100 users that are subdivided into 40 joomla usergoups. For example, we post a new Flyer.jpg, then the appropriate usergoup gets notified. They can comment on the design. The moderator (ie usergoup marketing director) can lock the topic (ie Approved for Printing). We wanted the subscribers to be notified that the proof has been approved and there is not longer any feedback on the design required.

I will just inform the moderators that they need to post one last time after locking the topic. That way the 10 or so users that are part of that usergroup know that the proof has been "Approved for Printing".

modernmagic.com

More
12 years 1 month ago #10 by sozzled
Good thinking.

In short, the trigger for sending an email notification from the Kunena forum is to post a message on a topic that the user has subscribed to (or the category of topics that a user may have subscribed to). In that sense, Kunena works as it was designed to do. I think this answers the question. :)

Time to create page: 0.479 seconds