Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved [Resolved] Disable "allow name change"

More
12 years 1 month ago #1 by esaneigo
Hi everyone. Just installed 1.7.2 and it works great. Just realised that the registered users can change their Name. I've set "allow username change" to NO but I can't find "allow NAME change" anywhere. I see it was a feature in previous versions.

Am I just blind or have I missed something.

Thank you.

Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #2 by sozzled
G'day, Iain, and welcome to Kunena.

esaneigo wrote:

Have I missed something?

Did you read the Guide to posting questions when asking for support on the Index page before you posted your question in the K 1.7 Support category? We should not have to remind people, when they ask for support, to read the terms of that support (the posting guide which appears at the top of the page you are now reading) - to include their configuration report at the same time as they post. Without knowing what else is on your website - and your configuration report will help us in knowing that information - I don't know if this is a Kunena problem or not. I would say that it's not a Kunena problem ... but I could be wrong. That's not a very good support answer, is it?

The default configuration settings - the initial values were there in a brand new Kunena - are:

Forum Configuration » Security » Security Settings » Allow Username Changes = No
Forum Configuration » Security » Security Settings » Allow Nickname on Posts = No

I don't know if it helps you to know that. I don't know if it helps you to reset your configuration back to the initial (default) values, either. What does help everyone, in order to see if there may be something defective, is knowing if you, yourself, can change your username using the standard tools that users have when they use your forum. Do you know the answer to that question?

Please read What information should I include when I ask for help (including how to post my configuration report)? and, in future, please read the descriptions of each category on the Index page before you create a new topic on this forum. Thank you.
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #3 by esaneigo
Hello again.
The "allow users to use nickname to post" is set to NO.
I have included a picture to show you the area of the edit screen I cannot control. I have also included the configuration report.

I do not want Forum users to be able to change their Joomla username as we have set a naming convention to use across the user base.

Ideas?

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 600 seconds | Max execution memory: 64M | Max file upload: 10M

Kunena menu details:
Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : yoo_balance | author: YOOtheme | version: 1.0.5 | creationdate: January 2012

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle (default) | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.7.2 | creationdate: 2012-01-31

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.7.2 | Build: 5215 | Version name: Omega | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: None

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: System - Mootools Upgrade: Disabled | System - Mootools12: Disabled

Modules: None

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by esaneigo.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 11 years 11 months ago #4 by sozzled
Thank you for your configuration report and a picture showing the user profile edit screen. I now understand your question and I think this is what you want to do:

Forum Configuration » Users » User Related » Display User Name = Yes

esaneigo wrote:

I do not want Forum users to be able to change their Joomla username as we have set a naming convention to use across the user base.

If this is the case then your Kunena settings do not make it possible for people to change their Joomla username - that is what your question was about. In your case, your forum does not display your members' usernames (which your members can't change) but, instead, your forum displays your members' real names (which your members can change). This is explains the reason why you're seeing "name" changes (the question you asked in msg #1). ;)
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 1 month ago #5 by esaneigo
Hi again. Thank you for your reply. Not matter what combination of the following I try, logged in users can still change their 'real name' on the 'user profile' page after they log in. Any other ideas?

Forum Configuration » Users » User Related » Display User Name = Yes
Forum Configuration » Security » Security Settings » Allow Username Changes = No
Forum Configuration » Security » Security Settings » Allow Nickname on Posts = No

More
12 years 1 month ago #6 by sozzled
Users can change alwayas their "real" name. It doesn't matter if people change their real name - it doesn't affect what is stored in the Kunena messages table in the database but it may affect the way you want to run your forum if you are displaying their real name and not their username.

According to your last configuration report, you are using the following setting:

Forum Configuration » Users » User Related » Display User Name = No

In other words, your configuration report shows that you are displaying your members' "real" names. Change the above setting, as I have advised you, and I think your problem will go away. If this is not the answer you want there is another way we can help you stop your users changing their "real" names ... by disabling the input field on the user profile form. However, what happens if someone made a mistake when they registered at your site? :dry:

More
12 years 1 month ago #7 by esaneigo
Thanks again for your reply.

I really wanted to not allow users to change their own real names. So I removed the fields from the profile.php file. Perhaps this should be a feature in a later version. Changing real names should be the job of the Administrator I think.

Thank you for all your help. I hope others with the same question will find this post.

Iain

More
12 years 1 month ago #8 by sozzled

esaneigo wrote: Changing real names should be the job of the Administrator I think.

Some people may agree with you and a lot of people would not agree with you. It doesn't matter what I think.

Perhaps this could be a feature of a new version. Perhaps, if other people feel the same way as you do, they might like to donate to the Kunena project to see if this could be made a feature of a new version. :woohoo:

However, in searching this forum for other topics relating to what you have asked and, in the three years that Kunena has been around, I did not find anyone else asking us to make this change . So, I would have to say, you're probably the only person to feel strongly about this issue.

K 1.7.2 does not have the ability to prevent people changing their real name. That's just stating the fact. B)

More
11 years 11 months ago #9 by tricon
I've been using Kunena for a while and it has been a great forum solution so far. However, I am setting up a forum on a site where users cannot be allowed to change their names and possibly passwords. It would be great if this was an option but if not what code needs to be changed and/or modified to hide that field? Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.457 seconds