Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question User subscription options

More
12 years 1 month ago #1 by jcrimmel
I am running Kunena 1.7.2 inside of Joomla 2.5.1 and I have a question about user subscriptions.

To the best of my understanding the subscription options are a global. Once I set how they should work in the Kunena config then then all user subscriptions will processed that way. Is there any possible way to allow the users to select how they want the subscriptions to work. Meaning if one user wants to select their topic updates to be 'Email on First Update' and another user wants to select 'Email on Every Update'. Is a setup like this even possible. If so, How would I set that up?

Thank you very much in advance.

My Config Report:
This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Disabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 256M | Max file upload: 64M

Kunena menu details:
Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : skylab | author: LineLab.org | version: 1.0.0 | creationdate: 9.1.2012

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle (default) | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.7.2 | creationdate: 2012-01-31

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.7.2 | Build: 5215 | Version name: Omega | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: AlphaUserPoints 1.7.1 | Jomsocial 2.4.2

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: System - Mootools Upgrade: Disabled | System - Mootools12: Disabled

Modules: Kunena Latest 1.7.1 | Kunena Stats 1.7.1 | Kunena Login 1.7.1 | Kunena Search 1.7.1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #2 by sozzled
Thank you for your questions about user subscription options.

You are correct in stating that these options apply, in the current version of Kunena (K 1.7.2), globally in the sense that those options are set by the site administrator. I agree that it a case can be made - indeed, you have made your case - for some of these things to be chosen as an individual user preference. Given the resources available at this time, and within the constraint of what people have chosen to do with their time to develop Kunena, it has not always been possible to do everything that people would like the development team to do.

Let me remind everyone who reads this topics, and the implications that this topic makes, that there is no company behind Kunena; everyone who contributes to Kunena is a hobbyist, enthusiast or professional web developer who gives their time freely to this project - volunteers every one of us. Our hope is to make Kunena the most reliable, scalable, durable and robust forum component for Joomla that we can make it and to give people the best solution to meeting their forum needs. The forum is a self-help community-driven resource for users to help one another. Our job, in moderating the forum, is not necessarily to answer every question but, rather, to point people in the right direction where they can find the answers.

Against this background, we also invite interested people to join the project and to contribute in whatever ways they can. People can contribute in many ways: by developing Kunena, if they have the skills, by helping other members of the community by answering questions on the forum, by contributing to the documentation Wiki and, if people do not have these skills, by donating funds to assist in obtaining of developer resources so that other improvements can be delivered in future versions of Kunena.

In summary, while I agree that it would be desirable for the features requested by jcrimmel should be handled on a user-by-user basis, K 1.7.2 does not currently possess that flexibility. The site administrator, therefore, has to consider the choices that he or she has and to make a decision in the best interest of their community.

Perhaps someone else in the community would like to respond to these challenges and propose a technical solution? Perhaps other members of the community would like to add their desire to have this matter pursued - perhaps as a possible future feature of Kunena?

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #3 by jcrimmel
Thanks for the excellent response. I would love to see that built into a future update and think the users who subscribe to Kunena forums would love the ability to customize their settings.

I am fairly new to Kunena myself so I still learning the system too, but I love what I have seen and what I have been able to build for my community so far. I just wish I had the technical knowledge to give back rather than keep asking questions. :)

Until Kunena has such an option maybe I'll put up a poll and let my users decided how they should be setup.

Thanks for your help!
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by jcrimmel.

Time to create page: 0.550 seconds