Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question [Resolved] Set up multiple categories for specific users

More
12 years 1 month ago #1 by esotericvision
Hello,

I need to set up K1.7 with a minimum of three sections. One of the sections I'd like to use as a private section. We have a neighborhood watch in town and I want to restrict usage and viewership to only that set of registered members.

So essentially, I need guests to be able to view two public sections. Another set of registered users to post on those two same public sections. The third section, which should be private, needs a set of registered users to be able to post messages, receive subscriptions, and send a reply post via email or at least log on easily to the forum to reply.

In the future, a series of private sections for different groups of users would be my goal. Is this possible with K1.7? What would be the best way to implement this? I've been going through the documentation. I'm not finding anything specific to my question.

Best Regards,

Ben

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Disabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Missing | PHP environment: Max execution time: 45 seconds | Max execution memory: 96M | Max file upload: 24M

Kunena menu details:
Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : ja_nex | author: JoomlArt.com | version: 2.5.0 | creationdate: February 2012

Kunena default template details : nts_kbusiness | author: 9ThemeStore | version: 1.6.5 | creationdate: 2011-05-07

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.7.2 | Build: 5215 | Version name: Omega | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: None

Third-party SEF components: sh404sef: The file doesn't exist sh404sef.xml !

Plugins: System - Mootools Upgrade: Disabled | System - Mootools12: Disabled

Modules: None

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #2 by sozzled
G'day,esotericvision, and welcome to Kunena.

In general I would advise people in your situation to read Sections, Categories, sub-Categories (Part 2) - advanced setup for special groups . I say that "in general" that is where you will find the information, however that article was written a couple of years ago and events in the Joomla world have overtaken things so that a lot of the information you will find there is a little confusing ... to say the least.

The answer to the question starts with an understanding of Joomla 2.5 ACLs. When you've got your mind wrapped around how to implement ACLs then it's fairly easy to create categories in Kunena that rely on Joomla ACLs to give different types of users access to different categories. What we really need, however, is a more up-to-date document that shows people how to use Joomla 2.5 ACLs with Kunena and, unfortunately, that document (which would probably take me a several days, without interruptions, to write) does not yet exist.

So, what would help you (and me) and many hundreds of others in your situation is better documentation. I think this is important. I would therefore put out a general call for help from anyone in the community who would like to help us to improve the level of documentation, please help us. If anyone, reading this, is willing to lend a hand, please contact me directly by PM. The only requirement is that you know something about Joomla ACLs and how to write English.

You can create a third, private category and restrict its access so that only certain people can access it. The Wiki article Sections, Categories, sub-Categories (Part 2) - advanced setup for special groups contains some information to explain the process. I wish it was better written to help you. That's about the best I can offer at this time, unfortunately.
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: esotericvision

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #3 by esotericvision
Really appreciate the information. It's a bit a relief knowing it can be done at all. It's not so great knowing I'll have 20 hours into climbing another learning curve. Whatever information I can find I'll post to this thread to help but it seems I may not be the right one to write it. lol.

Ben

NOTE: Joomla ACLs (access control list tutorial 1.6-2.5)
docs.joomla.org/Access_Control_List/1.6-2.5/Tutorial
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by esotericvision. Reason: addition of link for tutorials

More
12 years 1 month ago #4 by esotericvision
Just a quick follow up to my last post. Between the the documentation from Kunena and Joomla Docs, this really hasn't been bad at all. It's just a couple hours of playing around to get it up and running. I'm sure that there will be snags but this is VERY doable. Thanks!

Best,

Ben

Time to create page: 1.332 seconds