Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Detect multiple requests (posts in one topic) by IP address

More
12 years 5 months ago #1 by dylanphelan
Hi everyone

I run a small business networking website and have partnered with Google South Africa - we now offer our registered members a Google Adwords voucher.

We distribute the vouchers by having the users request a voucher in the forum.

I am now having a problem whereby people will create multiple accounts on my site in order to try and get a few vouchers.

Is there any way that I could easily detect if someone (the same IP address) has requested a voucher already (posted in the current topic already).

Perhaps a plugin is available?

thanks,
Dylan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #2 by sozzled
Matching identities against IP addresses is always a little unreliable (especially because people can - and do - change IP addresses as often as they change their clothes). There is one way you could check. Go to your site backend and use the Kunena Forum » User Manager facility; look at the user about whom you are suspicious and click the IP tab. If that user has used the same IP address as another user, you may have found an issue you want to take further. Of course, many different people (different members of a family, for example) can use the same computer ... so I'm not sure if this really addresses the problem. Good luck :)
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 5 months ago #3 by dylanphelan
Thanks, I will try that.

sozzled wrote: Of course, many different people (different members of a family, for example) can use the same computer ... so I'm not sure if this really addresses the problem. Good luck :)

I wouldn't worry about that too much as in most cases only 1, or max two members of the family would be running a business, so in that case I can just read their profile info to check that they are clearly different businesses.

Time to create page: 0.375 seconds