Kunena 5.1.15 Released (27 Oct 2019)

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 5.1.15 [K 5.1.15] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 3.9.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 5.1 and issues discovered during the development stages of K 5.1.

× Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Css sprite for emotions icons.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #1 by thesinger313
I am aware this is not a kunena issue but i was hopeing you may be able to advise me.

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Enabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 64M | Max file upload: 10M

Joomla default template details : modelchat3 | author: Mikey Matteo | version: 1.5.2 | creationdate: 2011-07-17

Kunena default template details : Formality 1.6 | author: gonzaunit | version: 1.6.0 | creationdate: 2010-10-11

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.6.4 | Build: 4832 | Version name: Kerkrade | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Third-party components: UddeIm 2.2

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: System - Mootools Upgrade: Enabled | System - Mootools12: Disabled

Modules: Kunena Latest 1.6.2 | Kunena Login 1.6.2 | Kunena Search 1.6.2

I am using the formality template and google pagespeed tells me i need to combine images into a css sprite. most of the offending images are the emotions,

I would like to know how i would go about making the template use the created sprite.

I'm sure i could figure out how to build the sprite but i am a little worried how i will make the template know where to get the images from.

Many thanks.

Mike.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by sozzled. Reason: Change topic icon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #2 by sozzled
Using Google Page Speed Online analysis tool on your site shows

Medium priority. These suggestions may represent smaller wins or involve much more work to implement. You should address these items next:
Combine images into CSS sprites,Serve scaled images

. The same information appears on these websites, too: In fact, any image-intensive website is likely to get this kind of tip from using that tool. The most important point about your website is that it scores 80/100 on the "page load analysis" and that's not a bad result.

So you have to ask yourself, what's the benefit in trying to eke a few extra milliseconds improvement out of an otherwise reasonable website like the one you have?

The main point that I think we should recognise in response to this question is that emoticons are not the most important part of a forum. Most forum users don't user them. We've received a lot of requests from users to give them the means to display hundreds of emoticons/smileys (see Button show more smiles in Kunena 1.6 as one example) when, in fact, we know that people will only use one or two of them.

The simple answer to the question is that turning a dozen or more smileys into one image (to reduce page load time), and have the separate images rendered as CSS sprites, is not an easy ask. You have to modify the whole Smiley Management feature and, in effect, restructure Kunena to deal with CSS sprites instead of loading separate images for each emoticon. The Law of Diminishing Returns (and all that) means that the effort involved in achieving a few milliseconds improvement, or appeasing the Google Page Speed Online analysis tool seems make this idea economically unjustifiable. I wouldn't do this if I was in your position.

Smiley management isn't the best feature that exists in Kunena. I'm sure that it will be looked into sometime in the future.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by sozzled.

More
8 years 4 months ago #3 by thesinger313
wow, thank you sozzled.

Unfortunately smiles are used in most of my members posts. I was getting a really low score on page speed until I made a few changes but combine to sprite was a consistent moan from the program.

I do agree thought that is it not worth the messing..... if it was much simpler then maybe.

Thank you.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds