Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Everyone can read unpublished category and its article

More
12 years 9 months ago #1 by marco168
Everyone can find and read the unpublished categories from search engine, and can also find the articles under these categories.

Is there any methods to hide them from normal users and hide from search engine for better SEO?

Any comments/ideas are appreciated.
Thanks a lot=]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #2 by sozzled
Yes, it's possible for people to search for topics/discussions in categories that are unpublished and maybe that's something that needs to be looked into.

Using an example from this website, I searched for "Hey, i recently did a fresh website install thus having latest joomla" and, you are right, I found this text in an old, unpublished category on the site.

The specific category in question is ARCHIVE - Support which is not published.

Furthermore, if I use Google to search for the same string, I get a similar result.

And so your observation is correct. The question is, what needs to be done about this to hide that information from the search engines? That's something I will need to discuss with the project team.

Good question. I don't have an answer at the moment.

One possibility is to quarantine access to the category in some way (e.g. require that you must be logged-in to access the category) and this will probably stop internet search engines detecting these things.
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 9 months ago #3 by marco168
I also believe that quarantine access can solve the problem.
A error message "Category has been unpublished" should be given.

Like the current version, if a normal users in this forum want to post new thread in announcement catagory, a error message "Category has been locked." will be given.
Try: www.kunena.org/forum/newtopic/76-officia...nd-news-about-kunena

No sure if it could hide from search engine, but at least normal users cannot access it.

One more issue, it's better to hide article in unpublished category in module "mod_kunenalatest" and "mod_kunenastats".

Thanks for your opinion=]

More
12 years 9 months ago #4 by sozzled
See Sections, Categories, sub-Categories (Part 2) - advanced setup for special groups . This will show you how to restrict access to categories and that might be the way to deal with the issue until a better solution can be developed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: marco168

More
12 years 9 months ago #5 by marco168
A quick setting can be used.

We can set "Public Access Level:" in Category Manager to "none". And no normal users can access these categories and article.

Hope a proper solution of this issue can be found before next update.

Thanks sozzled for the opinion and help=]

More
12 years 9 months ago #6 by Matias
If parent category is unpublished, child categories still keep on working (K1.6). So there's no inheritance.

If unpublished category is showing up, there must be bug in the logic. If there is, it's already fixed in K2.0.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7 by marco168
I think inheritance is not necessary as we could simply unpublish those child categories.

Looking forward to K2.0=]

Time to create page: 0.413 seconds