Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Multiple Upload To Single ?

More
12 years 11 months ago #1 by mene
Hi, Does anybody know if there is anyway of changing the upload option from multiple to single per post. I have noticed that once one attachment has been added another box appears for another to be added. I don't want my members getting carried away uploading endless attachments in one post.

Many Thanks in Advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #2 by hayden
Honestly, I would not worry about that. If a user wants to add more photos, or docs it will only make your forum more valuable. Let em upload all they want!
Hayden

More
12 years 11 months ago #3 by mene
Yes I can see what you mean, but the only file that my users can upload is mp3 and I didn't want one post full of mp3's also would be nice to have a available option for how many files a members can upload per post.

More
12 years 11 months ago #4 by sozzled
I agree with you, hayden. Seems like we can't win on this, can we?

With K 1.0 and K 1.5 people complained because it was difficult to upload several images and attachments at the same time. The project team listened to these complaints and K 1.6 now gives people the ability to upload several images/attachments when they post to the forum.

I sometimes think that people worry too much about what they think their users might do. I have often written that you cannot control people with technology. No matter how hard you try, people do not want to be controlled. So don't try to. It's much easier and better to respect people as adults and to allow them to use their own judgement. This website tries to do that and we don't have any of these kinds of problems.

More
12 years 11 months ago #5 by mene
Wow ! that's a bit deep,left me sozzled :blink: Was only asking if there could be an option available or a simple code edit. I know on these free forum php boards you can join they give out this option for how many files per user, per upload, per post. Not really about controlling, more of an option to cater for each individual how they want to run their own website :unsure:

More
12 years 11 months ago #6 by GoremanX

sozzled wrote: I sometimes think that people worry too much about what they think their users might do. I have often written that you cannot control people with technology. No matter how hard you try, people do not want to be controlled.

Counterpoint: resources are finite based on the amount of money invested in your host. Limits are put into place to ensure that those resources do not get hogged by people who don't know any better. Nothing wrong with implementing a limit on the number of attachments in a single post. Not only does it prevent those resources from being hogged, but it also prevents pages from becoming bloated with pictures and such (which dramatically slows page load).

I wish Kunena allowed us to define a maximum attachment limit per post in the backend.

THE place to discuss photography!
www.friendlyphotozone.com

More
12 years 11 months ago #7 by sozzled
I agree that there should be a finite maximum allowance, either on a per-user basis or a per-post basis. Implementing a quota system for users is a little beyond the scope of Kunena in its current form. Implementing a quota for each message should be doable. But limiting the number of attachments is not really the answer.

I mean, what's the difference between trying to upload one image that's 1 Mb in size (if your site allows it) as opposed to uploaded 5 images of 100 Kb each? Should you disallow (small) multiple uploads in favour of allowing (large) single uploads?

I believe what would be a better solution is to keep things as they are (i.e. allow multiple uploads) but limit the total size of all uploaded files posted simultaneously by some configurable setting. How to do this? I haven't the foggiest idea. Should it be done? I don't know the extent of the problem or the degree to which this "problem" has been exploited. That's really the point that I'm trying to make. :)

More
12 years 11 months ago #8 by mene

I mean, what's the difference between trying to upload one image that's 1 Mb in size (if your site allows it) as opposed to uploaded 5 images of 100 Kb each? Should you disallow (small) multiple uploads in favour of allowing (large) single uploads?

Hi, I think the reason why I was asking this is because I am running a music website. I can understand multiple uploads for images but when most music files average of 5mb per song I think Only one attachment upload per post should be not to much to ask rather than multiple.

More
12 years 11 months ago #9 by Matias
Good discussion you had in here. I agree that we should add quota, both for users and messages..

Time to create page: 0.388 seconds