Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Showing multiple categories via link

More
13 years 1 month ago #1 by irradiate
Hi All,

I have been looking at the idea of running multiple Joomla sites, all merged together using a multi-site component so I can run separate kunena forums. Now this isn't really an ideal solution and will require a lot of time to set up and to maintain.

The perfect solution for me would to be able to run separate installations of kunena on the one installation of Joomla, but I know that this isn't possible without major editing of the installation file.

Reading other threads and researching myself, I know I can set up the menu system in Joomla to point to individual categories of the main kunena board which is just about perfect but.... The amount of boards that I will be adding to each category will make things look pretty messy.

My question is, is it possible using the menu system to point to more than one category ie;

Link 1 points to default kunena - POSSIBLE
Link 2 points to only categories 2 & 4 ?
Link 3 points to only categories 6 & 8 & 10 ?
Link 4 points to category 10 - POSSIBLE

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #2 by sozzled
Yes, these things are all possible using custom menus and K 1.6. See Customised Menus in the Wiki. Also, search for "multiple forums single Joomla" and I think you will find some useful tips.

More
13 years 1 month ago #3 by irradiate
Thanks Sozzled!

I had a look at that and had a play.

I can get one category to show, but is it possible to show more than one? If it is, I must be doing something wrong and will retrace my steps :)

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #4 by sozzled
Yes, it's possible to get more than one category to show. I think you have to separate the categories by commas. It's been a long while since I saw this subject discussed on the forum. I know that I've seen something like what you ask has been tackled and solved before but

(a) I haven't the need for this myself;
(b) I haven't tried this out for myself; and
(c) I can't remember exactly how, specifically, it was done.

I think that this link might, at the very least, show you one person's success: www.getransportation.com/

Does this help?
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 1 month ago #5 by irradiate
cheers,

will play around with using commas in the address, pointing to the specific categories.

The GE website, I think is only pointing to one category

More
13 years 1 month ago #6 by sozzled
I think you're right.r Good luck.

More
13 years 1 month ago #7 by irradiate

sozzled wrote: I think you're right.r Good luck.

Thanks!

Still mucking around with it with no luck.

Has anyone here that sees this had any success and if so, how?

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #8 by Matias
There is a limited support for category separation in Kunena 1.6. Next major version (2.0) has already improved system, which gives more freedom but still is easier to setup.

Actually the feature in K1.6 was done for GE site. It is also used in our site -- Check playground.

If you click on either Playground or its subcategory, you will get into another menuitem.

This is the menu in main category:

Both menulinks point to individual categories (menuitems) inside Playground menu. This prevents those categories from being shown inside main forum.

Like you said, the feature is limited to individual categories, so you need to list all of them in the second menu. But it doesn't say how you need to do it, giving some freedom to make this feature to work.

In the another instance, make similar menu as Kunena Menu, by starting with Entry Page. In there set default page as one of the children and restrict allowed categories to be only those which you want to show inside that menu. Then you need to add all the categories into the menu -- you can hide them by putting them into second level (which also makes URLs pretty cool)..
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by Matias.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9 by irradiate

Matias wrote: There is a limited support for category separation in Kunena 1.6. Next major version (2.0) has already improved system, which gives more freedom but still is easier to setup.

Just wondering if what I am wanting to acheive will be possible in 2.0?

Time to create page: 0.517 seconds