Kunena 5.1.14 Released - Security release (13 Aug 2019)

The Kunena team is proud to announce the arrival of Kunena 5.1.14 [K5.1.14] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for Joomla 3.9.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 5.1 and issues discovered during the development stages of K 5.1.14. This update fixed 1 security issue.

Important Slowness in Kunena due to Many Categories

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #1 by Josh
I've boughten this subject up a while back, but figured it's better for me not to hijack other people's threads and start my own. I'm still having the slowness issue due to the many categories, and it looks like I'm not the only one who has this issue:
www.joomlapolis.com/forum (Community Builder Forums)
Ok so our forums are not that slow, but when you view a thread it loads in 0.57 seconds as seen here:
www.joomlapolis.com/forum/146-cb-131-gen...with-date-validation
which is faster than the index. :huh:

While the category index takes 3.18 seconds, yet the kunena index seems to load faster by 6 times the speed even though they have almost the same number of categories (well thats a guess by looking at the higher numbered id's). Is this a result of text loading on the page? (The amount of text on the page loading) But then again I observed the scroll bar size of both my site and kunena's forum and the kunena scroll bar is smaller which is a sign of more text in the page. My site forum index loads in 2.33 seconds while kunena's in 0.61 seconds. Perhaps I'm over thinking some of this stuff, but I do want my site as good as possible. B)

Also I still have not figured out a solution for the simpler forum url to work without having it take 10 or so seconds.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Josh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #2 by postmanpl
i got it too. i was going to create new topic about this.

go to kunena backend > settings > site and say no to "show new messages" - it almost kill my server. page was loading about 10-12 secs. after disable this, forum is loading in 0.4 secs.

I need "show new messages" function. Without that users cannot see when new post is on forum (no icons change or "1new" text), but it very slows my forum.

I have VPS with eaccelerator, that can handle about few thousands users online, wihtout any slowing down, but that function can kill my VPS. I'm thinking about instaling memcache and using something like querry cache. maybe it solve that performance problem

without "show new messages" - 30 logged, 500 guests - Server load - 0,2-0,4
with "show new messages" - 30 logged, 500 guests - Server load - 12-18
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by postmanpl.

More
8 years 9 months ago #3 by woonydanny

postmanpl wrote: i got it too. i was going to create new topic about this.

go to kunena backend > settings > site and say no to "show new messages" - it almost kill my server. page was loading about 10-12 secs. after disable this, forum is loading in 0.4 secs.

I need "show new messages" function. Without that users cannot see when new post is on forum (no icons change or "1new" text), but it very slows my forum.

I have VPS with eaccelerator, that can handle about few thousands users online, wihtout any slowing down, but that function can kill my VPS. I'm thinking about instaling memcache and using something like querry cache. maybe it solve that performance problem

without "show new messages" - 30 logged, 500 guests - Server load - 0,2-0,4
with "show new messages" - 30 logged, 500 guests - Server load - 12-18

would be interesting to hear fxstein's comments

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(

More
8 years 9 months ago #4 by sozzled
Yes, I would like to see fxstein's comments, too He's currently "on the road" at the moment and so we may have to wait. In the meantime, I collected a few of his words of wisdom in my response to a similar subject K 1.6 page load .

I also have an anecdotal story about some of these "accelerator" tools. A little while ago fxstein implemented one of those "accelerators"/optimiser/obfuscation products at www.kunena.com and the experiment lasted little more than 2 weeks before we had to remove the software because of utility problems with one or two key software components - not Kunena, by the way! ;)

More
8 years 9 months ago #5 by etusha
I never had similar problem with kunena.
@postmanpl Kunena not support any Cache yet
Kunena 2.0 will support Cache and will be more than 10 time faster , Full MVC etc etc

More
8 years 9 months ago #6 by Josh
Wait, am I supposed to have my cache enabled? :huh:

More
8 years 9 months ago #7 by etusha
thats not important for Kunena as I say Kunena1.6 DO NOT support cache

Note:Im not Kunena dev

More
8 years 9 months ago #8 by fxstein
Hi guys,

Greetings from cold Shanghai, China!

Lots of good observations here.

There is no single simple answer because it all depends on many factors.

The main factors that drive performance are:
  • Server performance
  • Server configuration: e.g. APC configured properly, MYSQL configured properly
  • Kunena integration options: This can have a significant impact to large sites. Currently jomSocial has the best performing integration as they support user data prefetch. We collect all the users that are listed on any given page and make one call to load all at once = 1 sql query no matter how many users are shown (topic creator, last reply, active users, ...) - other 3rd party integrations do not yet support this kind of user data prefetch which makes some of these solution run 1 query per user listed - same for the avatar integration on large pages
  • SEF: We currently do not know of any 3rd party SEF component that is fast enough to handle the complex URL workload of a large forum. A solution like sh404SEF can almost bring your server down if a forum exceeds 20-30,000 posts and more complex index structures
  • Extra plugins and modules on the forum pages: This can be endless

You can easily test this for yourself: Turn on Joomla debug mode and record the number of queries and the amount of memory consumed.

With APC enabled and installed properly you should see less than 10MB of memory consumed for the most complex pages and less than 40 queries (including the Joomla queries - which runs 18-20 by itself) per page.

Any more memory or queries needed point towards other plugins, modules or components and their integration. You can test by disabling e.g. 3rd party integration and re-recording the memory and query stats from the Joomla debug mode.

I would recommend for any performance questions to include the configuration report + snapshots of the joomla Debug output for the pages in question.

Last but not least the Joomla cache can be beneficial - even on Kunena pages, as additional modules like advertisements or custom module still benefit from caching.

Hope this helps!

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds