Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question how to choose custom image directory

More
13 years 3 months ago #1 by crazydiver
Hello,
I would like to redirect all uploaded files to a folder designated as "userfiles" in my public_html e.g public_html/userfiles/

So I create a directory named userfiles in my joomla root and then I replace category_images/ with userfiles/ in the forum configuration in the backend...

I upload file but then I get a redirect error when I want to view my attachments.

I'm definitely doing something wrong and I believe it has something to do with my configuration in the forum configuration...

What's strange is that my attachment file's URL still points to this url /media/kunena/attachments/whatever.pdf

If anybody has had this problem, please help...

Thank you for your time and happy holidays!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #2 by sozzled

crazydiver wrote: I would like to redirect all uploaded files to a folder designated as "userfiles" in my public_html e.g public_html/userfiles/

Why? Why do you feel the compelling need to do this? Some (not all) Joomla components allow a little bit of user discretion over where files are stored. Like most things in Joomla, these things are using governed by parameter settings and these parameter settings can be changed via the administrator (backend) website. Can you change these things in Kunena? As far as this particular issue is concerned, Kunena does not have any such settings (as far as I'm aware).

Would you like to explain why you tried renaming/replacing Joomla folders if you didn't also change the software (in some way) to use these renamed/replaced folders?

Kunena stores uploaded files in the folder ../media/attachments/kunena/<user-id>/ In other words, each user has a separate folder for their uploaded files. What are you trying to do?

We don't have this problem because we haven't tried to change things. Perhaps there's a clue there? :dry:
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #3 by crazydiver
sozzled...

WHY? because I want to have all files my users uploaded sent to a designated file that my moderators and can check up via FTP.

And what's up with the interrogative questions??? Are trying to accuse me of something I love? FYI buddy, I am not trying to erase joomla folders... WHY WOULD YOU EVEN THINK THAT. It's already open source so what's the point??? If it was for a security issue, yeah maybe but there are many ways to determine if or not a site is using a particular CMS to hack down for firewood.

If the feature I want is not possible, then why is that path images section there in the backend? There is a reason why the developers put it there and I would like to utilize everything I can with kunena which has come a long way from FB... Kunena has become very flexible but if this is the kind of shit I'm going to get from a kunena mod when asking a question for support I'm back going back to phpbb...
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by crazydiver.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #4 by sozzled
Can you help me here, please, crazydriver. Every day I field dozens of different questions that people ask. I don't have too many problems understanding the how-do I-use the-standard-features-of-Kunena questions; I don't have too many problems with the something-is-likely-to-be-broken-in-Kunena questions either. I think it's only fair that, when faced with the inevitable I-want-to-change-something-that-has-never-been-attempted-before-because-I-want-to-do-it-differently kinds of question, to ask for further information if that information was missing in the first place. It's in those cases that I need to be sure, in my own mind, that I understand all the issues.

People may occasionally interpret my responses to them as being a little severe. It's difficult - particularly for the thousands of users for whom English is not their native language - to discriminate between what I write literally and what I'm thinking about when you read what I've written. If you feel that my questions were abrasive, terse or accusatory then I hope you will allow me the occasional moment's indiscretion or lack of tact. It's not my intention to be rude.

Without being rude, the standard behaviour for Kunena is to store uploaded files in the folder ../media/attachments/kunena/<user-id>/ In other words, each user has a separate folder for their uploaded files.

The "category images folder" setting in the K 1.6 configuration settings is for category images. It is not for user uploads.

So, returning to the point: what are you trying to do and how are you trying to achieve this? I haven't got the K 1.6 configurations settings etched into my memory so could you please show me - with pictures, perhaps - how you have made the changes that you have made and what, specifically, is not now working.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #5 by woonydanny
i think it is actually stored in media/kunena/attachments/userid

im thinking of changing the kunena to forum, so it would be media/forum/attachments/userid

anyone know how to do this? I think this is the same question as originally asked...how to choose path to save user uploads.

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by woonydanny.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #6 by sozzled

peetree21 wrote: i think it is actually stored in media/kunena/attachments/userid

Incorrect. Each user's uploads are stored in ../media/attachments/kunena/<user-id>/

peetree21 wrote: im thinking of changing the kunena to forum, so it would be media/forum/attachments/userid

No. Each user's uploads are stored in ../media/attachments/kunena/<user-id>/. The file location does not change; it should not change, either. Let us suppose that you have been running a Kunena for a year or two and then you decide to change the forum name. What happens to all the references in all of the existing messages? What else changes simply because you decide to change the name of a folder? No. It doesn't work like this.

Time to create page: 0.435 seconds