Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Sessions length?

More
13 years 7 months ago #1 by Baze
Sessions length? was created by Baze
Hi guys,

i have received the following message from one of the moderators on my forum yesterday: "lot of users have problem with the timeout for writing posts, if they write longer post after hitting the send button they get error message and they mostly need to login again, so they loose the written text. The second issue is with the marking of read posts, for example yesterday i had 12 unread topics, i have opened one, and left the browser on that post, went out for a coffee brake and afterward all messages were marked as read. I have this problem on multiple computers/browsers so it's not something with my pc.."

Any idea how can i sort this out? For the first issue i assume i should increase the session lifetime in the kunena configuration (currently is on 1800), but what about the second one? Also any advice for the session lifetime lengths is welcomed.

thanks
Baze

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #2 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic Re: Sessions length?
General >> Basic settings >> Session Lifetime is what you search for. Put something useful like 6 hours (in seconds).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baze

More
13 years 7 months ago #3 by woonydanny
Replied by woonydanny on topic Re: Sessions length?
Probably a stupid question but is Kunena session lifetime related to Joomla session lifetime? can they be different?

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(

More
13 years 7 months ago #4 by Cerberus
Replied by Cerberus on topic Re: Sessions length?
yes they can be different.

Joomla session limit = how long you stay logged in limimt.

Kunena session limit = how long new threads keep the new flag once you have logged in

idaea: A better way to do this imho would be for kunena devs to code it more like emails so that a message stays new untill it is read or marked as read, rather than use a time limit on them.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic Re: Sessions length?
Personally I want to keep my messages as unread until I either read them or mark them as read. I also want to mark messages unread time to time, so that I can find them later. But there are users who want to see only the messages written after last logout as new.

So in my opinion this new indication should be user setting with limits and default value defined by site admin.

More
13 years 7 months ago #6 by fxstein
Replied by fxstein on topic Re: Sessions length?
We had it both ways in the past the permanent NEW messages are a pain on larger forums. If anything this needs to be configurable or separate from each other. There could be both NEW since last visit and NEVER READ.

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

More
13 years 7 months ago #7 by fxstein
Replied by fxstein on topic Re: Sessions length?
As for the timeout issue:

This must be a bug. It should not matter how long the sessions are setup. The New Topic page should send periodic KEEP ALIVE signals to the server. If people get logged out we need to look into this potential problem.

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

Time to create page: 0.524 seconds