Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question Transferring posts and users

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #1 by pajo
No expert here so bear with me!
I have a .com site with a Kunena forum and a couple of thousand posts.

I recently set up a .info version of my site (non-public). I installed Joomla and basically created a whole new look for my site which I intend to transfer over to the .com version at the end of July.

The latest 1.5 version of Kunena is installed on both of them. Firstly, how difficult will it be to copy users and posts from one to the other?

I also contemplated installed the new 1.6 beta version on my .info site to test and possible make that upgrade with the new .com site design.
Would there be additional issues transferring users and posts from a 1.5 version to the 1.6 version?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by pajo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #2 by Cerberus
do you have posts and users in both you want to merge of are you just wanting to move the LOOK (template) accross from ur .info site to your main site ??

More
13 years 9 months ago #3 by pajo
The forum on my .info (test) site is empty.

More
13 years 9 months ago #4 by Cerberus
Then yes it just the simple task of replicating any changes you made to ur TEST site over to the main site.

two ways of doing this ( always take a backup first ):

1. do each change one by one

or

2. copy all the file from your test site over the top of your main site and then main site will mirror test site ( rember to change the DB info to oringinal or posts and users wont be there)

FYI - i would advise not putting K1.6 on your live site just yet but your welcome to try it on your test site. :)

Key.

MAIN SITE = .com

TEST SITE = .info

More
13 years 9 months ago #5 by sozzled
I'd like to offer my own observations about the question "Should I install K 1.6 now, on an empty website, and transfer my K 1.5 users and data across to it?"

I would not do things that way.

This is what I would do. You have a couple of weeks left until your target date, right?

I would copy the DB tables, jos_fb_* from your .com -> .info site and the following tables:
jos_core_acl_* (5 of them)
jos_users
jos_session

After you have experimented with K 1.6 on a test site, you can then upgrade from K 1.5 -> K 1.6

More
13 years 9 months ago #6 by pajo
Thanks a lot guys, very much appreciate any help.

So could I transfer the DB tables to the .info site and have the users and posts on both forums?

Is there any sort of tutorial for this type of thing?

More
13 years 9 months ago #7 by sozzled

pajo wrote: So could I transfer the DB tables to the .info site and have the users and posts on both forums?

If you think of your two domain (.com and .info) as two separate site, each with its own separate directory structure, each with its own separate database tables, you can initially populate one site with the contents from the other but after that, each site is separately managed and the content will diverge.

Yes, you can have the users post messages to both forums, in the sense that they will be posting messages to one or the other (but not both at the same time).

There's no easy way to keep the two forums running in synch with one another, not unless you run some kind of script to to update information on one site when the corresponding data is updated on the other. You probably wouldn't want to do that, anyway, because your two domains (.info and .com) will be used for different purposes.

If, on the other hand, you want one instance of Kunena (i.e. the same Kunena messages) shared between the two domains, the answer is no. See the discussion we've had on this subject at Share one forum between two domains?

More
13 years 9 months ago #8 by pajo
Thanks sozzled.
No I won't be needing to keep them in sync. Once I have the .info site completed the .com site will be updated and the .info site will simply re-direct to it.
It's just the updating of the .com site when things are ready that will be the challenge (for me!).

Any tutorials about for copying the DB tables?

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #9 by sozzled

pajo wrote: Any tutorials about for copying the DB tables?

There must be several dozen references here, in these forums. I suggest you search. Copying database tables is not something that I would recommend to a raw beginner. The general principle is to use a tool like phpMyAdmin, export your tables from the .com site to a file and then import the tables into the .info site. There may be a simple copy operation in phpMyAdmin; if there is I'm not aware of it.
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 9 months ago #10 by pajo
Thanks again sozzled. Will read up what I can about it before making any sudden moves!

Time to create page: 0.535 seconds