Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Categories/Subcategories Question

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #1 by boejean
Hi,

I thought my website was done, but I am not done with it..

My questions:

I created category and within the categories subcategory. Can I section the subcategories and have them in groups? I would like to still show all the groups under the main category.

For example...

NFL Forum (top level)

1. NFL AFC

a. team 1
b. team 2
c. team 3
d. team 4
e. team 5.

can I take teams and put them into division and still have it show under the NFL AFC, but divided

Example,

1. NFL AFC

team a,b,c,d

Just like it would be if it was on the main page. The main page has different top level categories but it shows. I wanted have that within the subcategories...

file under AFC South, but shows...
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by boejean.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #2 by sozzled

boejean wrote: I created category and within the categories subcategory. Can I section the subcategories and have them in groups?

I'm very confused by all of this new terminology. I understand Sections, Categories, sub-categories but I do not understand "groups" of sub-categories. So, at this time, I'm struggling to understand how you go about the hierarchical organisation of your forum.

I think what would help us better understand the issues you're wrestling with is if you drew a picture of what you would like to see and where, on your website, you would like to see it.

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #3 by boejean
Thank you for helping me.

I would like to create subcategories that shows the pictures of each teams. Lets say that someone click on the NFL NFC, which has 12 teams. The teams are section into catagories: NFC North, NFC South, but i would like for that categories and pictures to show.

I wanted to put teams in their respected divisions. What you see in the picture above is a list of teams in a conference. I would like to show the conference and the divisions of the teams.
The goal...

It is just like the front of Kunena. You have categories, but the images for them show and so does the sub categories.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by boejean.

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #4 by sozzled
I am replying to this only as a Sections, Categories, sub-categories question, not in terms of what I think about how you're organising your site - it's your site and you can organise it any way you like.

Your forum will need to be constructed in a four-level hierarchy as follows:
Level
Name
0SectionNFL
1Category.../NFL General Discussions
1Category.../NFL NFC
2sub-Category.../.../NFL North
3sub-Category.../.../.../Seattle Seahawks
3sub-Category.../.../.../Washington Redskins
3sub-Category.../.../.../New York Giants
3sub-Category.../.../.../Philadelphia Eagles
2sub-Category.../.../NFL South
3sub-Category.../.../.../Dallas Cowboys
3sub-Category.../.../.../St. Louis Rams
3sub-Category.../.../.../Arizona Cardinals
1Category.../NFL AFC
I am assuming this is what you want to do. Is this correct?
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 7 months ago #5 by boejean
Yes, I can do what is says on the direction, but I just want everything to show. instead of users clicking on the name to view the teams in categories. When a person click on NFL NFC, they should see all the teams NFL NFC including the images/NFL North/NFL South. This will prevent users from having to click to many links. Thanks..The link you showed in your response really helped me in the past, and I use that from the start, but I will look at it again.

../NFL NFC
2 sub-Category .../.../NFL North
3 sub-Category .../.../.../Seattle Seahawks
3 sub-Category .../.../.../Washington Redskins
3 sub-Category .../.../.../New York Giants
3 sub-Category .../.../.../Philadelphia Eagles
2 sub-Category .../.../NFL South
3 sub-Category .../.../.../Dallas Cowboys
3 sub-Category .../.../.../St. Louis Rams
3 sub-Category .../.../.../Arizona Cardinals

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #6 by sozzled
There are many ways you can skin this cat. You can create menu links that take people directly to their "team topics" sub-category, if that's what you want to do, but if you want to group categories or sub-categories together then they have to have a common parent category above them. There's no other way you can do this if you want the level of forum organisation that you've specified.

The question that I answered was how to group sub-categories together. You need to implement the parent-child arrangement (as I showed in my response) into the Kunena Category Manager and you will achieve the forum organisation that you seek. As I wrote earlier, I am only responding to in terms of the technicalities of your question, i.e. how you group sub-categories together. How this technical solution translates into a practical, easy-to use solution is, however, an entirely different subject and it's one that I have deliberately avoided in my response to you.
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7 by boejean
Thank you for taking the time to answer all my crazy questions. My website is coming along very well.

I did see that somewhere online on the Kunena website. I will look for it.

Time to create page: 0.400 seconds