Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Is there a swear filter for kunena?

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #1 by joopyjoops
I'm sure there is a function for this somewhere, but i can't find it.

Can we put together a list of 'naughty' words that people can't write in the forums (e.g.. those beginning with c and f)...

How do we do this?
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by joopyjoops.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #2 by sozzled
Most of the time, when I want to say "candy floss", I just come right out and say it.

To be completely honest with you, these "bad words" filters are a heap of junk and I would never use one. In the 2½ years that I have been associated with this forum, I think I could count on the finger of one hand the number of times I have seen profanity or improper language. The reason for this, I believe, is because we treat people as responsible adults and, for the most part, people respond in kind by respecting the way that we operate.

No-one likes to play the heavy or to censor the contributions that people make to the forum. However, intelligent people know where the line is and how to behave accordingly. There are a thousand ways to say things and people's vocabularies, I'm sure, are richer than merely grabbing any four-letter word they like simply because they're lazy and can't express themselves in a better way.

Having said these things, no, there is not (as far as I am aware) any reliable badword filter for Kunena. If you search for "badword filter" you will find other discussions that we've had on this subject. Good forum moderation and a respect for others as sensible, responsible adults is (in my humble opinion) the solution. On the other hand ... what the heck do you do with "kids"? ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: joopyjoops

More
12 years 9 months ago #3 by joopyjoops
Totally agree with you! I hadn't even considered it, until i posted my site on the realsurf forum, where they have let rip about swear word filters (and using lots of swear words in the meantime).

forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18858

Surfers are a different breed, though! Haven't had any problems so far with people on my website, but just thought i should think about what i'd do if something like that came up...

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #4 by woonydanny

sozzled wrote: I would never use one. In the 2½ years that I have been associated with this forum, I think I could count on the finger of one hand the number of times I have seen profanity or improper language. The reason for this, I believe, is because we treat people as responsible adults and, for the most part, people respond in kind by respecting the way that we operate.

Yes well thats all well and good in an ideal world, but the reality is that alot of forums are not for open source computer software with happy, well-behaved, well educated and respectful users ;) .

My particular forum has a rather different class of people where swearing is rife and even with even good and constant moderation, swearing is still prolific. Whats worse is we have children (13years +) using the site so we need to keep it family friendly and frankly it is nearly a full time job!! Something i shouldnt have to spend time on, so thats why it would be amazing if a plugin could do it for me B)

I need a swearing filter and i believe it is something sorely missing from kunena. I know many others have requested this as well and i do believe it is already on the feedback wishlist.

:)

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by woonydanny.

More
12 years 9 months ago #5 by joopyjoops
That's true peetree21, in an ideal world we shouldn't have to monitor it. You wouldn't expect swearing on this particular forum, but as the realsurf example shows... some people just like dropping swear words just for the fun of it.

I support a swear filter plugin! If it saves time moderating, then it should be a standard...

More
12 years 9 months ago #6 by woonydanny
and i might add, i know you can already run a joomla plugin in kunena, and that over the years i have tried the joomla plugins for this, but have either found them inadequate, buggy or slows the whole site down.

So a plugin developed specifically for kunena ideally by the fantastic kunena devs would be great :)

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(

Time to create page: 0.478 seconds