Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Set Guest to post in an individual category

More
12 years 9 months ago #1 by otips
Hello,

Is it possible to allow guests post/write at the category level?

Our boards are open to everyone to read. I want to create one specific category wherein members can also post to encourage their registration.

It would seem there is only a global configuration setting that allows guests post/write at the highest level, not at the category level.

A potential workaround is to allow guests post/write and then set access level = registered on all other categories (thereby preventing guests from posting). This would mean that guests cannot view other categories before registering.

Thanks,
O

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #2 by sozzled
Yes, it should be possible to allow guests to post in an individual category.

What you need to do is to set

Forum Configuration » Security » Security Settings » Allow Guests to post/write = Yes

Then you need, for each category that you want to allow your guests to be able to view and post their messages, to set:

Category Manager » <category> » Settings » Public Access Level = Everybody
Category Manager » <category> » Settings » Include Child Groups = Yes

For each category that you do not want to allow your guest to post their messages, you need to set:

Category Manager » <category> » Settings » Public Access Level = All Registered
Category Manager » <category> » Settings » Include Child Groups = Yes

This also means that guests will not be able to view those categories, either. Unfortunately, that's a restriction of Kunena that you will have to accept for the current version K 1.6.4.
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 8 months ago #3 by KimH
I would like this feature as well.

The workaround by sozzled is not sufficient in our forums because we want guests to also 'read' other categories.

Anybody know if anything has changed in 1.6.5 regarding this?

More
12 years 8 months ago #4 by sozzled
KimH wrote:

we want guests to also 'read' other categories

Can you explain more what you mean, please? :unsure:

More
12 years 8 months ago #5 by mstephan
Kim wants guests to only have writing privileges for one category. For other categories, he wants guests to be able to read but not write. Not possible with Kunena because you either turn guest writing on or off for the forum as a whole.

1.6.5 doesn't have any new features, KimH. It's just compatible with all versions of Joomla. It's a good idea though and I'd absolutely add it to my forum if this feature were added. Could possibly be in K2.0, if you can get a developer's attention.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #6 by KimH
Hi

I would like to have all categories visible to everyone and writable for registered users. Beside that I would like 1 specific category being writeable to guests as well. Like kind of a guestbook.

Please let me know how to configure that if possible.

PS. I actually also have a category which is only visible to registered users, this can not be messed up.

edit: mstephan expained my need a few seconds before I submitted this :-) Thankss man!
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by KimH.

Time to create page: 0.462 seconds