Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question K 1.6 with Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 1.6

More
12 years 9 months ago #1 by Jenthex
I have now a running site with Kunena 1.6.4 and Joomla 1.5.23 installed. I want to upgrade my site to Joomla 1.6.3, can I just use jUpgrade? Will all the categories, post,...etc be transferred and will the forum work well? I'm a bit nervous because my site is quite active and I don't want to come in problems again (but that's another story :P). Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #2 by sozzled

Jenthex wrote: Can I just use jUpgrade? Will all the categories, post, ... etc. be transferred and will the forum work well?

This is not really a question for this forum and it is certainly not a support issue for this forum (where you originally posted your question) because jUpgrade is not a product that was distributed, developed, maintained or endorsed by the Kunena project.

Having said that, from what I've heard (I haven't tried this for myself) I understand that jUpgrade is one such solution for migrating websites from J! 1.5 to J! 1.6 but I do not know how totally effective it is in achieving a fully, successful migration. From what I have heard, I understand that jUpgrade is effective in migrating Kunena on J! 1.5 to J! 1.6 but the scale of effectiveness may also depend on what version of Kunena was implemented on J! 1.5 in the first place. It is my understanding that J! 1.6 is still not considered to be a totally reliable platform for the deployment of a diverse range of Joomla extensions but there's also a lot of hearsay. The only truly effective measurement of the success of a migration is for people to test these things for themselves.

Therefore, the answer to your questions is, test, test, test until you are satisfied that you have resolved all the migration issues that you are concerned about. Never test a migration without having a reliable backup. Never test a migration on your live site first. Always test in a quarantined "sandbox" environment so that you don't affect your users.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jenthex

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #3 by Jenthex
Thanks for the fast answer! I've set up a testing environment but it doesn't work very well. The Kunena component is't transferred at all :(

Now that this doesn't seem to work: i've heard a couple of things about databse tables. Can you just move the databse cells from one kunena installation (J! 1.5) and copy it into the database of another installation (J! 1.6?) Other solutions are also welcome btw :)
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Jenthex.

More
12 years 9 months ago #4 by sozzled
I can only advise on the basis of second-hand information. I have not tried this migration. To be totally honest with you, I have no compelling reason to attempt anything like this at this time (when J! 1.6 is still not considered to be a 100% totally-dependable solution for my needs). I am not saying that J! 1.6 is unsafe or not dependable - I have built a couple of J! 1.6 sites and they work ... well enough - I am only suggesting that people seriously consider the reason for attempting this work, whether it is really necessary, and the potential problems they may encounter.

As I indicated, migrating from J! 1.5 to J! 1.6 is not really a support issue for the Kunena project at this time. I also remind you of the cautionary notes in the accompanying documentation in relation to J! 1.6:

There are still a few outstanding matters that have prevented K 1.6 meeting all our expectations to take full advantage of all the features of J! 1.6. As with other Joomla extensions, the Kunena project is not alone in this situation. During our extensive testing of K 1.6.4 the project team has discovered several issues with the Joomla 1.6 core and these have been reported to the Joomla development team. Rather than wait for Joomla 1.7 to be released (expected some time in July this year) we decided that it is better now to release a version of Kunena that handles most of what Joomla 1.6 is capable of providing. There is still further work needed to complete this task and we're continuing to work with Joomla developers to resolve those outstanding matters. If you are in any doubt about whether J! 1.6 is right for you, you should test K 1.6.4 on J! 1.6.3. to form your own opinion of whether J! 1.6 is best for your needs or whether you should use something else.

More
12 years 9 months ago #5 by Matias
As I've been working with the author of jUpgrade to migrate Kunena, I can answer you:

1) Kunena should be migrated by using jUpgrade 1.1
2) Migration of Kunena should be almost perfect IF you didn't have ACL compoenent in Joomla
3) Migration by hand is involving and without knowing all the steps, you probably miss a few
4) There are still some bugs in Joomla migration ending up slightly broken database
5) Migration support for 3rd party components, modules and plugins is still very weak

Time to create page: 0.352 seconds