Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Running debug mode causes problems with SEO Generator

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #1 by Josh
When upgrading from kunena 1.6.3 to 1.6.4 I noticed I get an error on my forums page which can be seen here: www.hikrs.com/forums

It seems as though there is a conflict with the extension SEO Generator
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/site-ma.../seo-a-metadata/7171

When disabling it, kunena does not have this error. They worked just fine together in 1.6.3. I have seen a few other plugins not work well with kunena 1.6.4 as well including jomwiki and slides (I got rid of nonumber's slides plugin). Worse case scenario I could downgrade to 1.6.3, but the newer version seems a little faster which I like. Now I'm wondering if its a simple error that can be fixed by changing the plugins... :huh:
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by Josh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #2 by sozzled
In spite of the 3 months of the testing that went into K 1.6.4 it is impossible to test Kunena (or any Joomla extension) with every other Joomla extension listed on the JED. It's unfortunate that problems like yours will not be known beforehand, but that's just the way these things go sometimes.

In the 2½ years that I have used Kunena (and Fireboard before that) the Kunena developers have not claimed any Kunena is able to be 100% compatible with every version of Joomla or every Joomla extension that that people could possibly consider using. The fact that some Joomla extensions are incompatible with one anther (or with Joomla itself) is sometimes unavoidable. It is a fact that Joomla has inherent defects that prevent the co-operation of many extension with Joomla and well as with different extensions that people may have installed. I don't know what can be done to overcome this unavoidable fact of life.
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 11 months ago #3 by Josh
I'm not holding anyone accountable for this problem. ;) I suppose I was hoping that you might randomly know a solution, I dunno like "The New file we modified conflicts with certain extensions". I may have said this before, and I'll say it again. You guys are doing a awesome job, no other support forum for joomla extensions have had as much replies as this one for me from admins. I suppose I could just down grade, contact extension owners, or find a different extension that carries out the same stuff. But the thing that got me was it seemed like it was a simple error that perhaps with a small edit of the plugin code would fix it (editing the plugins themselves, not kunena).

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #4 by sozzled

Josh wrote: I suppose I was hoping that you might randomly know a solution, I dunno like "The New file we modified conflicts with certain extensions".

Let me answer that comment as follows: K 1.6.4 is known to conflict with Joomla 1.6.3 in certain ways. That's a true statement in every possible sense. We know this is true because we have found a number of defects in J! 1.6.3 which mean that K 1.6.4 cannot possibly work in every conceivable way that users require of it. It's unavoidable. The Kunena developers have reported the problems to the Joomla core development team and are waiting for the problems to be resolved. A decision was taken that it was better to release K 1.6.4 now, before the outstanding problems were resolved in three months' time.

We have a fairly active team of testers. About 24 people of whom maybe 6 are involved in day-to-day testing. No-one on the testing team considered the use of SEO Generator and that's probably why it was never tested and therefore why we are only finding out about this now. I'm sorry that you have encountered a problem with K 1.6.4 that seems to be involved with SEO Generator but I don't know what we can do about this situation now.

What, specifically, do you have in mind that will solve your problem? Have you involved the authors of SEO Generator in this case and what is their advice?

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #5 by Josh
I do not use joomla 1.6.3, currently I'm using joomla 1.5.23. I still feel as though j1.6 is not stable enough in my opinion, and even if it was, extensions are not. I'll have to contact the extension owners, I hate to admit it but they probably won't reply. :( (I'll still contact them of course)

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #6 by sozzled
I understand that you are not using J! 1.6. I was giving you one example of something we know about that has a few problematic issues for Kunena. You asked if we "might randomly know" of solutions for things such as if any one new file modified as part of K 1.6.3 much conflict with "certain extensions". The answer is that we are aware of a few issues that cause problems with 1.6.4 and some things but I don't think it's fair to expect that, less than 24 hours after K 1.6.4 we would know of solutions for the myriad problems that people might experience.

Sometimes the solution is to not use those things that cause problems. It all depends on which is more important to you: a reliable, durable, web-based discussion forum product for your website or the other thing(s).

We are aware that some users might experience some problems with J! 1.6.3 but we do not have a solution for those "random" issues that people may encounter because many of those things require the Joomla core developers to fix Joomla. Likewise there may be problems involving K 1.6.4 and Seo Generator that will require the Seo Generator developers to address those issues, too.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #7 by Josh
Good news, a admin of joomla seo generator sent me a email saying:

Hello,

this notices are shown because the error reporting is enabled
to protect for hackers and so on the error reporting should be disabled in joomla config "error reporting nowhere"

but this can also be done by php-code
seo-generator is disabeling this in the first lines with:

error_reporting (0);

it seems that in one of the kunena php files the error-reporting is enabled
maybe you can find this line with an search for "error_reporting" in the files

if you find the line then put // before the line and save the file
like this:

// error_reporting (E_ALL);

sorry my english is not the best and so i hope you can read all above

please let me know if it works or if you need more help

So now I'm left wondering where the line "error_Reporting" is. I did a bit of searching around and could not find it. So far I feel like progress is being made. I'll try doing some experimentation, disabling error reporting did not do anything. Perhaps either disabling error reporting on the plugin or a file of kunena would be a easy solution.

More
12 years 11 months ago #8 by sozzled
So have you disabled "error reporting" in the Joomla configuration as you were advised? Have you, similarly, disabled Kunena debug mode?

Can we see your K 1.6 configuration report, please.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #9 by Josh
Hey sozzled, how big of a deal would it be if I had debugging disabled? It fixed the problem. Not only that, it loads twice as fast with debugging disabled. What are your thoughts on this?

Edit: I just saw your post, we must have had the same idea. :cheer:

As for my report:
This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 64M | Max file upload: 10M

Joomla default template details : yoo_beyond | author: YOOtheme | version: 1.5.13 | creationdate: December 2007

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle (default) | author: Kunena Team | version: 1.6.4 | creationdate: 2011-05-07

Kunena version detailled: Installed version: 1.6.4 | Build: 4832 | Version name: Kerkrade | Kunena detailled configuration:

Warning: Spoiler!

Third-party components: AlphaUserPoints 1.5.13 | CommunityBuilder 1.4 | UddeIm 2.3

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: System - Mootools Upgrade: Enabled | System - Mootools12: Disabled | Kunena Search 1.6.2

Modules: None

By the way, it was multiple plugins that came into conflict, I was only giving you one example just so that way the situation did not overwhelm you guys. ;) The more I disabled plugins, the less errors there would be. In total there were 4 "conflicting plugins" which I disabled for testing reasons. But getting rid of debug helped fixed them all. B)

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds