Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Community Builder and it's worth?

More
13 years 2 months ago #1 by Bob Britt
Been running a joomla site with CB, Kunena and several other componates that, maybe at this time, not that important.

I have been wondering what Community Builder really does? Is it really needed? I really don't take advantage of their simple gallery system, we run coppermine. I find the Kunena profile more detailed and easier to work with than CB. To me it's just another system I have to check for updates on.

Is it needed? What would be the impact if I turned it off/uninstalled it?

Can Kunena logon module handed the user permissions of Joomla and it's CMS?

What about Registration?

I know these are sort of generic questions but figured I'd get better answers here than the CB forum, they may not like the questions...:blink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #2 by Bob Britt
OK, did some testing, if you removed CB and it was handling your avatars, they will be gone. don't want to make my users upload new avatars so that's not an option.

Would like to use the Kunena profile manager in lieu of the CB one. Any suggestions on that?

More
13 years 2 months ago #3 by fxstein
You don't NEED CB unless you want it for any specific reasons and their functionality. You can run Kunena just by itself if you like to.

As for any data and images/avatars entered into CB - they will all be gone once you uninstall CB.

If you like to import that data into Kunena itself you will have to find a resource that can do that for you. It is technically possible but nothing we will make part of Kunena itself.

The Joomla resource directory might be a place to start looking if you really want to find somebody to do this for you: resources.joomla.org/

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

More
13 years 2 months ago #4 by Bob Britt
Kind of wish I had not started with Community Builder but I did.

I assume you can export the CB info and map the fields back into Kunena in the SQL, is this correct?

Can you address my other question about profile management? IS there a way to make the Kunena Profile manager the default manager for all joomla access but still have CB doing the registration? I know this question may get pointed back to CB.

More
13 years 2 months ago #5 by fxstein
You can make Kunena the default profile for Kunena itself and all it's modules and plugins.

You cannot make the Kunena the default profile for CB or any of it's processes.

Hope this helps.

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob Britt

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #6 by sozzled
G'day, Bob.

It's possible to physically rename and move the user avatar image files from where they're stored by CB to where they're needed by Kunena. It depends on how many users (and whether they've uploaded their own CB avatar images) as to how long this process would take.

Originally this topic started as a general question about "is CB really necessary" and I think we've answered that. The topic is now delving into specifics about how to make CB work and we're in danger of misusing the purpose of the Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla category when we have another category for such purposes.

Bob Britt wrote:

Is there a way to make the Kunena Profile manager the default manager for all joomla access but still have CB doing the registration?

As you know, Kunena is not responsible for handling user registration. The Kunena user profile - even though it's well designed, looks good and contains most of what is captured by whatever registration process you've got - is only used in the Kunena forum component. The Kunena user profile is not a standalone Joomla extension.

You could probably design a feature that sat outside Kunena to allow your users to point to their profiles to the Kunena profile view. I honesty haven't tried to do this. Maybe someone else has done this and can tell us?
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob Britt

More
13 years 2 months ago #7 by Bob Britt
Thanks for the reply folks. Think I'll go rattle CB cages for a while and see if I can update the user profile interface to at least look like Kunena's profile management.

You could probably design a feature that sat outside Kunena to allow your users....

Hehe...not me Bubba...I'm doing good to make this stuff work as it is, creating is above my payscale!

Thanks for the input folks. Cheers.

Time to create page: 0.530 seconds