Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Captcha or email activation for new users

More
13 years 3 months ago #1 by trogladyte
I have just trolled the forums and searched Kunena, but can't find the answer. How do I enable either or both of these for new user registration? I have email activation enabled for Joomla, but this, obviously, doesn't carry over into Kunena.

I saw some older postss (10 months+ ago) that talk about a setting under the Security tab for turning on spam protection - but that must have been for Kunena 1.5 - I do not see it in 1.6.3.

TIA for your help.

Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #2 by sozzled

trogladyte wrote: How do I enable [Captcha or email activation] for new user registration? I have email activation enabled for Joomla, but this, obviously, doesn't carry over into Kunena.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

Kunena is not responsible for user registration.

Let me say that again - because, if you had searched this forum for "user registation" you would have our response on nearly every occasion that the question has been asked - Kunena is not responsible for user registration. Joomla is responsible for user registration. I don't understand what you mean that the account activation "doesn't carry over into Kunena".

In what way(s) does the account activation not "carry across into Kunena" or prevent users from using your forum? Can you be a little more specific, please?

trogladyte wrote: I saw some older postss (10 months+ ago) that talk about a setting under the Security tab for turning on spam protection

There were some protections built into K 1.0 and K 1.5. There is some ability to apply CAPTCHA if (and only if) you allow guests to post on your forum. No version of Kunena imposed CAPTCHA for logged-in, registered users. It is assumed - rightly or wrongly - that, if you had passed the registration checks that you have on your website, that people have the right to post on your forum.

trogladyte wrote: I do not see it in 1.6.3.

At the time of writing, K 1.6.3 does not exist as a public release. K 1.6 has the capability to integrate a third-party CAPTCHA mechanism; see >>> here <<<
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 3 months ago #3 by trogladyte
Sorry if it was vague - it made sense to me... :blush:

From your reply, I infer that, when a visitor registers on a Kunena forum, that registration is handled by Joomla. Is that correct? If this is the case, why does that registration not send an email activation (as this is set in my Joomla user registration settings)?

If this is not the case, then how do I get either a captcha or email activation enabled when a visitor registers in Kunena?

Hopefully that made it clearer.

More
13 years 3 months ago #4 by sozzled

trogladyte wrote: When a visitor registers on a Kunena forum, that registration is handled by Joomla. Is that correct?

No, that is not correct. There is no "forum registration" as such.

The following is a correct statement: When a person registers at a Joomla website, that registration is handled by Joomla.

The following is also a correct statement: If a Joomla website has a Kunena forum, access to the Kunena forum is handled by Joomla.

This is also a correct statement: You do not need to be registered or logged-in to a Joomla website to be able to user the Kunena forum on that site. The ability to access the Kunena forum is controlled by the policy implemented by the site owner. The site owner may require that only logged-in, registered users are able to use the Kunena forum, just as the site owner may require that logged-in, registered users have access to other content on that website.

The definition of a visitor is someone who is not logged in as a registered user. Does that make sense?

More
13 years 3 months ago #5 by trogladyte
Now I'm really confused. Maybe a picture will make what I'm asking clear.

A person comes to the forum page on the site - brand new, never been to the site before. On the main page of the forum they see the "Create an account" option on the forum (create.gif).

When they click that link they get the registration screen (reg.gif).

How do I get a captcha on that registration?
Attachments:

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #6 by sozzled
Thank you for the pictures. The first picture is Kunena. The second picture is what happens when you click the "create an account link" - Kunena is not responsible for generating the second picture; that was created by Joomla. Are we all clear on that point? :) Kunena was not responsible for the registration form.

trogladyte wrote: How do I get a captcha on that registration?

You do that with a registration module that has a CAPTCHA feature. Sorry, if that sounds like I'm talking in circles but, really, I'm telling you the truth.

Although first image looks like Kunena is asking you to register/create an account, you have to understand that the login form that's painted by Kunena is merely giving your users the means to login or register using whatever registration process you have installed. You can, if you wish, completely remove this function if you think it's too confusing or complicated.

If you haven't installed anything "special" then your users use the Joomla registration process. The Joomla registration process does not have a CAPTCHA feature. There are other registration processes that you can use that do have a CAPTHCA process to filter out undesirable registrations - the Joomla Extensions Directory is the place to look for those - and these are some of the things that are discussed in the topic [Merged topic] How to protect my forum from spam .

However, returning to your question: Kunena is not responsible for user registration.
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by sozzled.

More
13 years 3 months ago #7 by trogladyte
Ahh OK - thanks for bearing with me Sozzled. :cheer: I guess much of the confusion has arisen because many other pieces of forum software seem to have a totally different registration procedure to that of the site they are on (many of the extensions on JED work like that - you register on the site to download the extn, but then have a separate registration for their forum).

I installed the captcha recommended elsewhere on this forum, but cannot get it to show one on the registration page. Will go to JED and browse through what's there.

Thanks again!

Time to create page: 0.546 seconds