Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Duplicate content penalty

More
13 years 4 months ago #1 by Oscar2
I have a multilingual website with separate domainnames (enabled by joomfish); one domainname per language (4 languages). The kunena forum is split in 4 categories, with one category for each language version.

The problem I now face has to do with the fact that when a forum topic is created, this topic is accessible from all 4 domain names. Im affraid this will confuse Google and lead to a duplicate content penalty (or at least problems with dutch forum topics appearing in the spanish indexed pages etc).

Is there a way to make only the, say spanish, kunena category available in the spanish domain name? And the same thing for the english forum, only accessible on the english domainname?

The only way I could think of doing this is with the robots.txt files; in the spanish domain name I would disallow the other language categories. Is this a smart way to do this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #2 by Oscar2
Anyone?

More
13 years 4 months ago #3 by Oscar2
Hope someone can help me out?

More
13 years 4 months ago #4 by vatoloco
I also am using joomfish on my site with kunena. In Google's webmaster tools I only got some minor issues regarding duplicate content! But:

My forum is only english speaking. This way google is clever enough to get rid off the penalties. To sum this up:
All my site including articles / menus / jomsocial etc is available in gemran and english language. regarding kunena the people only speak in english. Although the forum is accessible via:

xxxmysite.com/de/forum and
xxxmysite.com/en/forum

I don't get penalties for kunena as everybody is speaking english in the forums.
What#s causing penalties for me in webmaster tools is jomsocial. But that's another story...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscar2

More
13 years 4 months ago #5 by Oscar2
Alright I see; but can I use the robots.txt to block other-language-forum-categories? I think with 4 forums in different languages this will be confusing to google to say the least..

Or any other way of doing this?

More
13 years 4 months ago #6 by Oscar2
Would adding this in my robots.txt help?

(DUTCH website, .nl)
Disallow: /forum/
Allow: www.bonsaiempire.nl/forum/nederlands/

(ENGLISH website, .com)
Allow: www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/english/

This way the folder /forum (which is used for all the languages) is disallowed, and subdirectories for specific domains allowed?

More
13 years 4 months ago #7 by Oscar2
Would it work; disallowing the entire /forum section, and than allowing parts using the full domain name directories?
So on the dutch site the www.site.com/ ... and www.site.de/ ... links are ignored (as they are on another domainname), while the www.site.nl/ .... is allowed?

More
13 years 4 months ago #8 by Oscar2
Anyone?

More
13 years 4 months ago #9 by vatoloco
This should work for Google's Search Engine. You can use robots.txt to exclude dirs

More
13 years 4 months ago #10 by Oscar2
So with a general disallow like this:

And allows including the domain names, like this:
Allow: www.bonsaiempire.nl/forum/nederlands/
Allow: www.bonsaiempire.de/forum/deutsch/

Will allow "nederlands" on the dutch site, but not on the german site
Will allow "deutsch" on the german site, but not on the dutch site

?

Time to create page: 0.387 seconds