Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question register now / restricted pages

More
13 years 8 months ago #1 by PCC
I'm looking for a way to place a link or the Jom Social registration form on Kunena restricted pages.

I have my forum integrated with Jom Social, and the whole site is restricted to members only.

It appears as though links to certain topics in Kunena are getting passed around, which is good, it lures traffic and members, but they have no way of clicking to get to a registration form on these pages that show the restricted access message.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #2 by sozzled
I don't think this is just a JomSocial issue. This is just the way the interenet works.

Let's restate the problem:

You don't want unregistered users having access to your Kunena forum. OK, I understand that and I respect that. If someone, who is not registered, tries to access you Kunena forum, you want to tell them that they should go away, register with your site, login and then try again.

How do you do this? One way (maybe not the best way) is display a message that says "This part of the website is restricted to logged-in users." I mean, there are millions of ways you can write this message, and the choice is yours.

So now the situation is this: someone is given a link to your forum. They go to your forum and they're faced with a message that informs them that they're not able to see anything until and unless they've registered with your website. OK, that, too, is what (I expect) you want to happen.

But what I think you're asking this forum is how can you redesign your website with a link, prominently displayed somewhere, that informs users where and how they can register and login at your site. Is that your question? :unsure:

More
13 years 8 months ago #3 by PCC
Hi Sozzled, and thanks.

You pretty much got it nailed. And I know that I can just put a link anywhere and label it click here to log in or register. The problem is even logged in users would have to step over that because they are already logged in.

When someone tries to access the forum via a link and they are not logged in, they are presented with the following message:
Registered Users Only
This forum is open only to registered and logged-in users.
If you are already registered, please log in first.

But that's it...unless they are smart enough to figure out how to manipulate the existing url to get back to a log in page, or even the front of the site (which is a log in page) they are pretty much left hanging.

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #4 by sozzled

PCC wrote: ... even logged in users would have to step over that because they are already logged in.

I've never seen that happen before.

PCC wrote: But that's it...unless they are smart enough to figure out how to manipulate the existing url to get back to a log in page, or even the front of the site (which is a log in page) they are pretty much left hanging.

What's the old saying? "You can lead a horse to water ... but you don't have to carry the horse to the water's edge, fill the bucket for him, open his mouth, and pour the water down his throat." :laugh:

Give your users some credit for having enough common sense to know what they have to do. If they don't know how to use the internet, or if they can't read the signposts, do you really want to be saddled with that kind of burden? Maybe it's time to get a new horse? Or find a new watering hole and hope that the old nag dies before it stumbles over there, too. ;)
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 0.828 seconds