Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Possible Injection Exploit

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #1 by rodvold
I was tired of my site getting hacked and I purchased the OSE Anti-hacker component. It is detecting the following:

This message contains confidential information

This indicates to me a possible vulnerability. I'm on version 1.5.11, I don't see security fixes in 1.5.12 so not sure if this is still an issue for the upgrade.

Note for mods: Please let me know if this is not the right place for vulnerability reporting.

Joomla Extension Templates: extensiontemplates.com
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by Matias. Reason: Hide query string

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #2 by Cerberus
Technical answer:

That is not be a vulnerability in kunena or even joomla that would be a linux server vulnerability. Most production web servers use mod_security ( php security module ) that runs a security rule to guard against this: " SecFilter /etc/passwd " there are many more secfilters but i have just highlighted the one you mentioned.

Simple answer:

This is NOT an issue or a vulnerability in kunena/joomla , this is an old PHP server vulnerability that your webserver will already as standard guard against.
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by Cerberus.

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #3 by Matias
Kunena casts Itemid into integer, so that query has no effect, even if we used that variable to load php file (which makes no sense!). So this attack is most likely generated by automatic script and attack failed.

(You can try it yourself -- you should end up into the main page, not have white page or error message)
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by Matias.

More
13 years 8 months ago #4 by fxstein
rodvold wrote:

I was tired of my site getting hacked and I purchased the OSE Anti-hacker component. It is detecting the following:

This indicates to me a possible vulnerability. I'm on version 1.5.11, I don't see security fixes in 1.5.12 so not sure if this is still an issue for the upgrade.

Note for mods: Please let me know if this is not the right place for vulnerability reporting.

Just to confirm: What you see might be a hack attempt, but Kunena does not allow anything but integer for itemid. There for all the extra text gets stripped away before we process anything.

This is NOT a Kunena vulnerability.

Thx!

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodvold

More
13 years 8 months ago #5 by rodvold
Yowza! :woohoo:

Quick response from 3 head devs. You guys definitely have a watchful eye when it comes to security. Thanks guys :)

Joomla Extension Templates: extensiontemplates.com

More
13 years 8 months ago #6 by Cerberus
For the record im not a dev im just a user like you :) but the other 2 are :)

Time to create page: 0.368 seconds