Kunena 6.2.4 Released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.4 [K 6.2.4] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Cannot register any users!

More
13 years 10 months ago #1 by sylther
Dear experts

Just installed Kunena and the forum shows up just fine. However, nothing happens when I try to register a new user using Joomla's built-in login for. Registration page just refreshes.

I've looked through the configuration options, but don't know where I'm taking a wrong turn.

Please note that the website is being built on a local server.

Thank you in advance. Any help greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #2 by sozzled
G'day, sylther, and welcome to the forum. I sometimes have to remind new users about the policy relating to the Support category where you posted your question: K 1.5.x Support: Please read this first.

So, having said this, can you please fill in the missing blanks: What version of Kunena are you using? What Kunena template are you using? What version of Joomla are you using?

Many new users are unaware that Kunena is not responsible for user registration or login or logout: these are Joomla functions. Kunena is not responsible for user registration, pure and simple. User registration is a Joomla function that may, or may not, be assisted by other components such as JomSocial or Community Builder or others. Kunena makes it possible to utilise these other components. In short, these are not Kunena matters.

Can you please demonstrate how you feel that your problems tie-in with Kunena? What is this "registration page" that keeps "refreshing". Who designed or developed it?

More
13 years 10 months ago #3 by sylther
Thank you for the fast reply.

First, I'm a Joomla newbie, so maybe I'm going about this thing in the wrong way. For that I apologize.

I'm running Joomla 1.5.15 on a local installation (Xampp). Kunena version 1.5.11. Template: default_ex.

I don't have any community components (such as Community Builder) installed. Do I need that? I guess I just figured that Joomla's login form would tie up with the login needed to use the Kunena forum. I have user registration set to yes in the global configurations of Joomla. The only reason for my website to have a login form is in order to use your forum component.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

More
13 years 10 months ago #4 by sozzled
User registration is a bit trickier on a local PC - like one running WAMP or XAMPP - because you don't have a mail server. So how do you do the user confirmation? This is a Joomla issue. Please look at help.joomla.org to address your user registration issues.

Kunena is not responsible for user registration, pure and simple. I don't know any other way of saying this. You don't need any other components to register your users but, in a local server configuration, users cannot self-register. In other words (because you don't have a mail server) you have to do the user confirmation yourself. This is a Joomla User Administration issue - it has nothing to do with Kunena.

More
13 years 10 months ago #5 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Re: Cannot register any users!
I had a similar issue with the register link, when the Joomla regform appeared it just stayed there no matter how many times u entered reg info.

I used a little hack (dunno if its okay to post this but it might help to resolve the problem) in the profilebox.php which is located in YourJoomlaroot/components/com_kunena/template/default/plugin/profilebox/profilebox.php

Find this portion of the file using Ctr+F and just enter LOGIN. You should get something like this:

<?php // AFTER LOGIN AREA
if ($fbConfig->fb_profile == 'cb')
{
$loginlink = CKunenaCBProfile::getLoginURL();
$logoutlink = CKunenaCBProfile::getLogoutURL();
$registerlink = CKunenaCBProfile::getRegisterURL();
$lostpasslink = CKunenaCBProfile::getLostPasswordURL();
}
else if ($fbConfig->fb_profile == 'jomsocial')
{
$loginlink = JRoute::_('index.php?option=com_community&amp;view=frontpage');
$logoutlink = JRoute::_('index.php?option=com_community&amp;view=frontpage');
$registerlink = JRoute::_('index.php?option=com_community&amp;view=register');
$lostpasslink = JRoute::_('index.php?option=com_community&amp;view=frontpage');
}
else
{
$loginlink = JRoute::_('index.php?option=com_user&amp;view=login');
$logoutlink = JRoute::_('index.php?option=com_user&amp;view=login');
$registerlink = JRoute::_('index.php?option=com_user&amp;view=register&amp;Itemid=' . $Itemid);
$lostpasslink = JRoute::_('index.php?option=com_user&amp;view=reset&amp;Itemid=' . $Itemid);
}

Now for the mod (if You are just using Joomla and not using Jomsocial or CB than this should be enough:

//In this last section at &registerlink explain to the router function to run the task
$loginlink = JRoute::_('index.php?option=com_user&amp;view=login');
$logoutlink = JRoute::_('index.php?option=com_user&amp;view=login');
$registerlink = JRoute::_('index.php?option=com_user&amp;task=register&amp;Itemid=' . $Itemid); //U can see I've changed the 'view' function to 'task' function
$lostpasslink = JRoute::_('index.php?option=com_user&amp;view=reset&amp;Itemid=' . $Itemid);
}

There. Works fine for me - hope it helps U2 ;)

Cheers!

It's a joke! It's a f***ing joke!! What's the matter with You!!??

More
13 years 9 months ago #6 by sylther
Vlad, thank you for your help. I tried your solution today, but without success. I still cannot register any new members.

More
13 years 9 months ago #7 by Cerberus
sylther wrote:

Thank you for the fast reply.

First, I'm a Joomla newbie, so maybe I'm going about this thing in the wrong way. For that I apologize.

I'm running Joomla 1.5.15 on a local installation (Xampp). Kunena version 1.5.11. Template: default_ex.

I don't have any community components (such as Community Builder) installed. Do I need that? I guess I just figured that Joomla's login form would tie up with the login needed to use the Kunena forum. I have user registration set to yes in the global configurations of Joomla. The only reason for my website to have a login form is in order to use your forum component.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

ok you have 3 issues i can see here let me try and explain:

Firstly joomla:

joomla 1.5.15 ----> please upgrade to joomla 1.5.18

Secondly:

Kunena is just a component of joomla and as such uses some on the native joomla functions like login, meaning that although you login to be able to use kunena, its not actual kunena that deals with said login its the native joomla function that does this. What you need to do is post about this on the joomla forum as sozzled told you to do about 2 posts ago, but im almost certain the first thing they will tell you to do is what i did above and that is to upgrade to J1.5.18

Thirdly Xampp: ( im assumming your just testing kunena and not actual trying to running a live site on xampp )

In short:

These types of enviroments are useless for testing/running web applications like kunena and joomla

The longer answer:

WAMP/MAMP/XAMPP/whatever is "all right" (I suppose) if you want to do things quick-and-dirty but, because you have to spend an impossible amount of time tweaking various settings, adding other bits and pieces (to get e-mail working, for instance), you can't test everything. Even if you use your own PC to conduct feasibility testing (i.e. to see if something is possible) you can never use your PC to test a work's viability (i.e. to establish that the product under test will work in an operational environment).

i have found your better of paying £5/$5 a month for a small testbed shell ( hosted site ) rather than use these type of enviroments.

More
13 years 8 months ago #8 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Re: Cannot register any users!
I'll agree on this 1 w Cerberus. Although u can simulate an environment with a virtual system, It's much more faster and cheaper (given the time taken to setup a fully working virtual environment) to simply buy a small amount of server space from a hosting company and run the entire thing 'live' then to kill urself trying to get things going on a home computer where u are never sure if it's the product or just something u still haven't managed/installed/set-up/whatever.

Unless u're a big time developer, which I'll be free to suspect You are not.

To be frank I never ever bothered to set-up a home testbed for anything aside some of my one private experiments - especially not when someone else pays for the entire operation and I still wouldn't if it where my own funding since (as Cerberus so delightfully put it) the hosting space cost only a few pennies.

It's a joke! It's a f***ing joke!! What's the matter with You!!??

Time to create page: 0.426 seconds