Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Blog syncing?

More
14 years 7 months ago #1 by Eclipse
Blog syncing? was created by Eclipse
Hi all,
a while back there was a Wordpress thing called bbsync that automated a blog article being posted to the bbpress forum.
(This, like soooo many free open source plugins, has since died as a project).

The idea was instead of using blog comments, we could still have the 'official' look of a blog author writing a 'piece', but the article would also be copied across into the forum with an automated link to the forum popping up at the bottom of the blog.

Want to comment? Click HERE (BANG!) into the forum! Then the conversation about the article can continue. This seems to be the way "Online Opinion" works, a large political forum in Australia (not sure what software they're using though).

Any ideas? Does kunena have its own blog function, or does it rely on another Joomla blog? Who would be in charge of that? How would it work with 'categories' of blog topics and forums... would there need to be a 'categories' function that let them select which forum category the post was to be filed under?

Anyway, I'll leave it with you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #2 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic Re: Blog syncing?
Kunena does not care about blogging, so we would need to co-operate with blog component authors. K1.6 would allow this kind of integration easily, but in K1.5 it's not easy to do..

More
14 years 7 months ago #3 by Eclipse
Replied by Eclipse on topic Re:Blog syncing?
OK.

Thanks for the quick response.

More
14 years 7 months ago #4 by Eclipse
Oh yeah, the reason I raised it was because a LOT of Wordpress users were heartbroken when bbsync died, and if something like that was kicked off in Kunena over the next year or so, it might encourage Wordpress users to migrate to Joomla.

there are a lot of frustrated bbpress users wanting TRUE integration into Wordpress. If Joomla has a really tight blog & forum integration in this manner, then it might help Wordpress beat a competing CMS. (And I know most people think of WP as a blog platform, but it is becoming increasingly more of a CMS).

BTW — what blog do you guys use here? What am I looking at when I click on blog?

Regards

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #5 by Eclipse
Oh boy, now I've just realised the problem.

I thought this was "it", the answer. But Joomla is not a blog, it has blogs. Blogs that could be dropped by the support crew.

If only there were an official Joomla blog integrated into the official Joomla forum software that just got better, and better, and better...

Is it possible to set up an attractive Joomla home page with a huge "Latest Articles and Discussions" window that feeds in the latest from the forum? That way I could use Kunena as the articles "blogs" and people could then just respond straight away, but instead of the fairly limited Wordpress-style blog comments, would have the full power of a forum for the ensuing discussion!

My ideal would be a thing like bbsync, but alas it is dead.
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by Eclipse.

More
14 years 7 months ago #6 by Eclipse
Further to this, I just found out that Wordpress have blog sync for SMF. Check out the functions. It would be GREAT if the J1.6 CORE blog were enhanced to be near Wordpress's beauty and functionality, and then have Kunena provide BLOG SYNCHRONISING as a core option, just 'tick the box'.

So, "Wordpress post to SMF".

wordpress.org/extend/plugins/post-to-smf-forum/
Main features:
• SMF post is added when the Wordpress post is published
• SMF post is updated any time the WP post is updated
• template function for linking from WP post to SMF post
• link back from the SMF post to the WP post
• it is possible to show on the SMF post just an excerpt
Admin page options:
• SMF Board ID to post to
• SMF User ID to set the post author
• SMF Forum path and Url
• Link from Forum to Wordpress text
• Max characters for SMF topic

bbpress used to have this with wordpress through bbsync, but like so many 3rd party projects, it died.

Time to create page: 0.479 seconds