Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question error 404 for erased topics not good for SEO... 410 better but how ??

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #1 by loic
Hello,

I have many 404 pages for erased topics...
that is not good for SEO ! :unsure:

can someone help in finding a way to redirect those erased topics to index page and tell google that is 410 ??

it could be good for all of us to have this by default in core files no ??

what do you thing ?
Loïc
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by loic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #2 by sozzled
Good point and maybe something that should be raised with the developers.

I'm not sure if this is on topic, but this is something I found in GitHub that may be relevant: github.com/Kunena/Kunena-Forum/pull/1265 and github.com/Kunena/Kunena-Forum/issues/10

More
9 years 2 months ago #3 by loic
thanks for the links but they are closed and concern the 404...

I really believe that is more correct and relevant for SEO to change that for a 410

i hope developers can react.

loïc

More
9 years 2 months ago #4 by 810
When Google encounters a 404 error, it basically gives that page or resource 24 hour grace period, this is given to make sure that the error was not generated by human error i.e. a page was accidentally deleted by someone or resource was removed by mistake. After that grace period Google visits the resource again and if it is not found it can take appropriate action i.e. either to remove it from index completely or to keep checking for some more time.

When Google encounters a 410 error, it knows that the resource of a link is gone and gone for good i.e. it will not be put back online. In this case the resource is immediately removed from the index and search results.

So whenever you are going to delete something from your website, make sure to send appropriate error message so your valuable content does not disappear from google by mistake.

If you send a 410 instead of a 404 for a resource that link will find it really difficult to get indexed again. Make sure you understand the above differences and work accordingly before removing a resource or a link from your website.

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds