Kunena 5.1.5 Released - Security Release (14 Oct 2018)

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 5.1.5 [K 5.1.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 3.8.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 5.1 and issues discovered during the development stages of K 5.1. This is a Security release.

× This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Joomla on main domain and Kunena on sub-domain possibility?

More
4 years 7 months ago #1 by madmaxmangos
Hey,

Is if possible to run Joomla on the root domain of a website, example: website.com and have Kunena running a forum on the sub-domain: forum.website.com

Could this be achieved with URL rewriting or something similar? If yes how would the setup for something like this go ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sozzled
  • Visitor
4 years 7 months ago #2 by sozzled
G'day, madmaxmangos, and welcome to the forum.

Yes, it's possible to do this but it's quite tricky.

I'm aware of the existence of some tools that effectively allow you to stitch together several Joomla websites under the control of a "master portal" so that, by logging into the portal site you can then access the others.

In effect, you're asking for some way how to bridge your main domain to a forum sub-domain. It doesn't really matter if we're talking about a forum subdomain; we could be talking about "pictures.domain.com" or "videos.domain.com" or "pizza-deliveries.domain.com" or "docs.domain.com", the issues are the same ... and this extends beyond what we help we may be able to offer in this forum here.

I have never attempted to do this before - I've never felt the personal need - but I'm guessing that it's possible. Writing special .htaccess rules is not my forte but you may be onto something there. Perhaps someone else in this community has successfully done what you're asking but, likewise, I think you'll probably discover that what you're attempting to do is something that's not often attempted these days.

Joomla makes it possible to have a forum, image gallery, pizza delivery ordering function, documentation library and hundreds of other functions all bundled into one website. Why would people want to create separate sites and link them together? Well, I'm sure there are good reasons that they do but I just don't have the answers your looking for.

Good luck and I wish you well in your search for the answers. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds