Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Important URL tag can not use relative dynamic (original) link?

More
11 years 4 months ago #1 by baijianpeng
I am running Kunena 2.0.3 on Joomla 2.5.8 now. Though I had enabled SEF on whole site, I hope to use relative urls for internal links inside forum posts.

For example:
Code:
[url=index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=48&func=fileinfo&id=1034]Notepad++[/url]

I hope above code could be recoganized by Kunena and converted into a link, then this original (dynamic) link will be further converted to SEF URL by my JoomSEF plugins.

But, Kunena v2.0.3 did not convert that BBcode syntax at all! It just show me those code as they were entered.

What is wrong?

www.joomlagate.com/

Chinese Joomla Users' Portal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #2 by sozzled
I use relative links all the time when I post messages on this site. The reason that I use relative links is in case the domain name changes. Relative links are relative to the root folder on your site.

For example, if I want to specify the URL of the team page on this site, I would use the relative path "/team", like this:
Code:
[url=/team]team page[/url]

To fix your problem, read the reference I posted about relative links but, the simple solution is to put a "/" in front of what you're trying to do, like this:
Code:
[url=/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=48&func=fileinfo&id=1034]Notepad++[/url]

More
11 years 4 months ago #3 by baijianpeng
Thanks for your quick reply.

That is right that relative links will not be affected by domain change.

I know a leading slash will make my link work, but, did you ever think about folder/subfolder depth, as well as domain change, that will affect such a link?

Usually, when we discussing a Joomla dynamic URL, we start with index.php? string, without the domain and the leading slash. So I hope the Kunena team will support this idea and make the BBcode script can recoganize such a pattern:
Code:
[url=index.php?*****]link text[/url]

Thanks.

www.joomlagate.com/

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #4 by baijianpeng
I think we did not solve this problem. After discussion with JoomSEF team, I think Kunena team need to do some modification on codes to allow relative dynamic URLs without leading slash. Because (quoted from JoomSEF team comment ):

This doesn't depend on JoomSEF but on Joomla itself. It doesn't process URLs that start with / and doesn't send it to JoomSEF at all.
You would need to modify the core System - SEF plugin or Kunena to achieve this.

I also remember that on Kunena 1.7.2, I can use relative URLs for links inside posts without the leading slash. Why you removed this compatibility on Kunena 2 ?

Hope you will re-consider this feature. Thanks.

www.joomlagate.com/

Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by baijianpeng.

More
11 years 4 months ago #5 by sozzled
I'm not going to discuss the "correct" way to format relative URLs; details about how to do that are given in the link I posted earlier.

In the nearly four years that I have been writing messages on this forum I have always used the relative URL format that is relative to the domain name so that, if the domain name of the site should ever change, these URLs would continue to work. In other words, relative URLs are a mechanism that will ensure that your forum contents are portable if you move them to another domain. But relative URLs without the leading solidus are relative to the "base URL" not the domain name.

If that's what you want to use - something relative to the base URL - then that's a different question because the answer depends entirely on whatever is the base URL generated by your site template HTML. In other words, if you change your Joomla site template then your base URL may change. To ensure that this does not happen it is better, in my opinion, to express URLs relative to the domain name. Other people may have a different view. I just try to use what works.

If you were using something that worked in an earlier version of Kunena and it does not work now then I sympathise with you and I agree that it's unfortunate. The main conclusion that we can draw from this discussion (in order to resolve the issue) is what you wrote in msg #3:

baijianpeng wrote:

I know a leading slash will make my link work

Things may have worked in the past by expressing links in the way you were accustomed to doing. This may have been an "undocumented feature" or it could have been the source of other problems that you were unaware of. The point that I'm trying to make is that there have been over 300 changes made since K 1.7.2, many of them to address routing problems that other members of this community had experienced; there may have been good reasons to redress the defect that allowed you to write URLs in the way that you were accustomed to doing. Perhaps you should consider that. Perhaps others who are as deeply concerned about this issue as you seem to be might also like to contribute their thoughts on the discussion.

As far as the comment from JoomSEF is concerned, people who depend upon 3rd-party SEF products for their websites rely upon the skill of those people to please their customers. We do not use any 3rd-party SEF products at this website. This forum has received hundreds of complaints from dissatisfied customers of some of these SEF Joomla extension developers and the conclusion that one can draw from this is that there are good ones and there are bad ones.

According to the Kunena Features table, Artio JoomSEF does not support K 2.0. If Artio JoomSEF claims that it does support K 2.0 then please let me know so that I can amend the Kunena Features table.

Therefore, to address your final comment that you hope the Kunena team will reconsider restoring something in Kunena that allows all kinds of relative URLs to work in the however-many places where you have used them on your site, if you know what works then my suggestion is to use what works.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #6 by GoremanX

baijianpeng wrote: I also remember that on Kunena 1.7.2, I can use relative URLs for links inside posts without the leading slash. Why you removed this compatibility on Kunena 2 ?

The BBCode engine in K2.0 was completely revamped from scratch to make it easier for administrators to create their own custom BBCodes. While the process isn't terribly straightforward yet (it involves working with the actual code), it's a lot more modular and portable, and doesn't require core hacking. Hopefully an upcoming Kunena version or add-on will include a GUI BBCode editor.

Unfortunately, this meant that the way some BBCodes functioned were changed for K2.0. That's one of the downsides of going up by an entire major version number.

I've added an issue in Github regarding this, and hopefully a developer will consider adjusting the functionality to match the old method. In the meantime, you might want to look into either adding your own BBCode that works the way you want it to, or adjust the existing one yourself.

THE place to discuss photography!
www.friendlyphotozone.com
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by GoremanX.

More
11 years 4 months ago #7 by baijianpeng
Thanks for your help. Hope one of the developers will agree with me and modify the BBcode rules to offer wider compatibility.

www.joomlagate.com/

More
11 years 4 months ago #8 by baijianpeng

sozzled wrote: If Artio JoomSEF claims that it does support K 2.0 then please let me know ...

Well, though their SEF Extension for Kunena 2.0 still has some flaws, they do have an SEF extension for Kunena 2.0.x, that means, Artio JoomSEF v4.x supports Kunena 2.x .

If you want to confirm about this, please open your browser and go to Artio home page to know details.

sozzled wrote: Therefore, to address your final comment that you hope the Kunena team will reconsider restoring something in Kunena that allows all kinds of relative URLs to work in the however-many places where you have used them on your site, if you know what works then my suggestion is to use what works.

I think, offer the widest compatibility is not a bad thing. Or, at least, offer an option such as "Allow relative URLs WITHOUT leading slash" is more friendly than the current policy.

Thanks.

www.joomlagate.com/

More
11 years 4 months ago #9 by Matias
Do you mean the same kind of functionality that exists in Joomla articles?

So if you are giving non-SEF version of local URI like: index.php?Itemid=10, it would become something like /articles/blog..

If you mean that, no, it's not supported by Kunena 2.0, but it's a great idea.

More
11 years 4 months ago #10 by baijianpeng
Yes , Matias, you said half correct: I want to use relative URLs without leading slash. I want to insert links like:
Code:
[url=index.php?option=com_remository&*****]link text here[/url]

Then, I hope Kunena will turn it into a Hyperlink, without the need to do the SEF rewrite work, just a hyperlink in dynamic URL format.

You know, Kunena is not a SEF component, so I was not asking for SEF rewriting, I just want Kunena will turn it into a link. Then my SEF component, like JoomSEF, will rewrite it into a SEF link.

The fact is, current Kunena v2.0.3 can not allow my above mentioned format of link inserting, if I do this, Kunena 2.0.3 just show it as plain text, not a link.

Another fact is, I can do it on Kunena 1.7.2, my memory is OK, believe me, because I had been doing this on Kunena 1.7.2 for almost 2 years before I upgraded my forum to Kunena 2.0.3 recently.

I think this is merely a BBcode issue. Hope you will fix this soon. Thanks.

www.joomlagate.com/

Time to create page: 0.555 seconds