Kunena 5.1.5 Released - Security Release (14 Oct 2018)

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 5.1.5 [K 5.1.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 3.8.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 5.1 and issues discovered during the development stages of K 5.1. This is a Security release.

× This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Bug Sitemeter reports strange activity on my website

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #1 by Uzi
Sitemeter shows that an out click by a forum visitor was a forum topic that was deleted. If I click on the link even as Admin, I cannot view it

You do not have permissions to access this page.

www.liveandretirephilippines.com/live-an...-information/93-test

Other than registered member level, I am the only one with access. No Moderators. I have checked the Trash Manager & it is not there. Any ideas as to how I can track down this issue?
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Uzi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #2 by Uzi
Really....??? 2 days and not one person can offer any advice or guidance. Surely this isn't so complex for the more experienced members. My past questions got no help either.

Great product but where is the support? Yes I know you are all volunteers which usually means you do it to help others, unlike paid staff who do it for the money.

• sozzled
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #3 by sozzled
Uzi wrote

Sitemeter shows ...

... and there's the heart of the issue!

There's no "sitemeter" in Kunena and we don't know anything about this tool or how accurate it is.

As far as the rest of what you wrote is concerned, we get the same information as you do when you click the link that you posted (i.e. You do not have permissions to access this page) so it looks to me as though everything is working the way that it should be from the Kunena perspective. I'm sorry but I don't really understand how your problem is something that the Kunena team can help you with but, possibly, someone else in the community may know something about this "sitemeter" product and can give you some information on it.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

More
5 years 10 months ago #4 by Uzi
Hi Sozzled,

I knew you would answer ;)

Sitemeter is like Google Analytics. It tracks all the visitors to your site & what they viewed. What it has to do with Kunena is, a post that was supposedly deleted and not viewable by the Admin can & was found by a guest or member. If it didn't exist wouldn't we see a 404 not found? Why do we see 'not authorised to view' ??

• sozzled
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #5 by sozzled

Uzi wrote: Sitemeter is like Google Analytics. It tracks all the visitors to your site & what they viewed.

So what? I still don't know what this has to do with Kunena nor why you think there's some kind of "support" issue here?

As I understand your question, "someone" or something was "seen" by something else (Sitemeter) to have done "something" on your website and you do not know how that "someone" could possibly have done it. Is that, basically, a reasonably accurate interpretation of your question? :unsure:

More
5 years 10 months ago #6 by Uzi
Not going to be much help if you dont understand. Perhaps you should just not answer instead of copping an attitude. You seem to take everything personally but so far you haven't helped with a single question I have asked which is worse than no answer.

Perhaps it is time to switch to another forum where members DO help each other like when I used SMF before using Joomla.

I wont waste my time posting here again.

• sozzled
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #7 by sozzled

Uzi wrote: Really....??? 2 days and not one person can offer any advice or guidance. Surely this isn't so complex for the more experienced members. My past questions got no help either.

The issue here is the reliability of your source information. Until and unless the source of your information is properly understood and viewed in the proper context, is clearly established as reliable and specifically pertaining to Kunena, then this is a "complex" matter, wouldn't you agree? I agree that there's an association - a connection - between your forum and Sitemeter but there's no conclusive evidence - supported by other means - that Kunena lies at the heart of what is responsible for some unexplained phenomenon.

Uzi wrote: Great product but where is the support?

Perhaps if you can demonstrate how the source information that you are relying upon directly relates to Kunena then we may be able to address the kind of support that you are hoping to obtain from the Kunena team and this community. As I do not know how "Sitemeter" - whatever that is - relates to Kunena I do not know how we can provide you with advice or support.

Uzi wrote:

Perhaps you should just not answer instead of copping an attitude.

I could have taken the same approach as others who have not replied to your question and I could have abstained from replying. Instead I have tried to focus on the issues and reflect back my interpretation of what you wrote. I was not displaying any "attitude" as you imply. I was only trying to explain why it may be difficult for anyone to respond to your question because I do not understand how this matter relates directly to Kunena. On the other hand you were insistent for some response and I gave you the time to give you my response. You don't have to like what I wrote, either, but it was the best answer I could give under the circumstances. If you felt that I was wasting your time then I'm sorry you felt that way.

The truth of the matter is that I do not know what is going on (or what might have happened some time in the past) on in your site. I don't know how someone "viewed" something that neither you, nor I, can access.

Uzi wrote: ... you haven't helped with a single question I have asked which is worse than no answer.

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean.
  1. I thanked you for the help that you gave us.
  2. Discuss quick reply not on some articles in which you had a similar complaint that no-one had replied within two days of posting your question. In that case I spent more than an hour and a half of my time trying my best to help you. I'm not an expert on Kunena Discuss and I don't pretend to be an expert. I merely tried to offer you a few suggestions but, I'm sorry, you did not appreciate my input or lack of expertise on the subject. Again, your question was a very complex question and I don't think there's an easy solution to it given the limitations of Kunena Discuss 2.0.x.
  3. Forum date changes half way through the day - I explained that we have not seen any reports why this seems to be happening and the only conclusion that I could draw from that topic was that it is happening in one isolated case. Since you posted your question, no-one else, either, has offered their thoughts or given evidence that gives further insight on the problem.

Did you upgrade to K 2.0.3 as we recommended?

More
5 years 10 months ago #8 by Uzi
Wasn't going to post anymore but:-

point 2 Discuss- suggest you read the last post where I found what the bug was.

UPDATE - found what the issue was. The setting 'TOPIC MUST START WITHIN' was set for 2 months. I changed it to 12 months & all now show. This should not have happened as the Articles affected were all less than 2 months old.

Did you report the bug? Discuss works great with zero problems now. As with Kunena - great product.

Sitemeter isn't important to my question (Google search is a great tool BTW) which I stated twice. Seems the issue is the 'you dont have permission to view' is a standard return to a non existent post as I found by trial & error - not a '404 not found'. No one there could tell me THAT????

To quote from JED comments:

Having been a user on the first versions of this component since 2008, I still find it hard to get a straight answer to errors and bugs that appear.

Should you get a bug or error then support is VERY slow and only comes from Kunena users, and the Kunena forum has so many "only post in the right category' you request for help will get moved and moved and maybe your never get an answer.

A good component is one that works 90% of the time and the other 10% comes from Support, Kunena has 2% Support.

Good Support is just as important as a good component, maybe more.

However, what made me turn away from it, and what is NOT tolerable, is the absolutely horrid support. They have a few helpful mods, but for the most part, the majority are worthless.And if I had to point to one single reason for me migrating my company from Kunena to Agora, it would be because of the support moderator named 'Sozzled'. His arrogant, brash, condescending attitude turned me away. I realize it's a non-commercial component, but that doesn't give them the right to treat people horribly... and they do.

Not my words but my experience too. And on that note - Goodbye Kunena - 'support'

• sozzled
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #9 by sozzled

Uzi wrote: Seems the issue is the 'you dont have permission to view' is a standard return to a non existent post as I found by trial & error - not a '404 not found'. No one there could tell me THAT?

I completely agree with you. "You do not have permissions to access this page" (as an "error message") is not very descriptive, is it? It's one of those catch-all conditions (like HTTP 500 Internal Server Error is a catch-all condition) and it's one of those conditions that may look simple but it's not easy to explain.

What I'm trying to say, in the best way I know how, is that when people charge headlong into a discussion topic on the basis of "this should be simple for anyone to answer", people don't necessarily give us the chance to catch up to the same level of understanding that they have.

In the case of "You do not have permissions to access this page", this can be caused by a variety of factors. It should mean the person attempting to view the target of a URL needs to have additional permissions to access the resource. It can also mean that there's a corruption in the database. These things happen. It happens (occasionally) here on this forum where I have access to "everything" but sometimes things go pear-shaped in the database and I'm left scratching my head why these things occur.

So now I'm trying to understand what is the point of this topic.

Are we trying to unravel the mystery as to why Sitemeter reports some unexplained activity on your website? Or are we trying to understand why you (as the site owner/administrator) get "You do not have permissions to access this page" instead of HTTP 404? Or is this "simple" question a lot more complex than you first thought?

*** off-topic ***

Thanks for letting me know that the Kunena Discuss topic had been satisfactorily resolved. I usually look at the topic icon to see which topics have been "closed" by the user; I've now marked it closed for you and archived the message. Those ticks against topics can really save a lot of time.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds