Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Shared Hosting

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #1 by Oscarfishlover
How many people on here use shared hosting?

About three months ago I moved across to a dedicated server because my website kept going down. My hosting company said it was something to do with the amount of queries that were being made on my forum. However, I don't normally get any more than 15 active members online at one time, it's normally only around 12 average. My dedicated server cost about £1200 a year, that is very expensive I'm starting to think that this is just too much money for what I have got regarding websites. The busiest website of got is Oscarfishlover.com, that receives approximately 60,000 hits each month, but doesn't have that many active members on at each time. I'm thinking that I should be able to get away with using a shared server, if not a VPS

Host Gator do have some information regarding MySQL connection limits which I believe was my problem. This is the information they have on their website:

MySQL connection limits, processor limits

HostGator allows a maximum of 25 simultaneous MySQL connections per cPanel on shared servers. This limit can be raised for VPS and dedicated servers.

The 25 simultaneous database connections should be sufficient. Most database connections open and close within a fraction of a second. A forum with 500 active members will rarely hit this 25 simultaneous connections.

The SQL server will timeout after 60 seconds of inactivity for Linux hosting (shared, reseller and SEO Hosting). On Windows shared hosting, the MySQL Server will timeout after 30 seconds of inactivity. VPS and dedicated servers can have different limits.

Does kunena generate a lot of queries with just one person when they are moving between threads? As you can see, it says the forum with 500 active members will rarely hit 25 simultaneously connections. That said, I should be able to use shared hosting an www.Oscarfishlover.com

The #1 Oscar Fish website on the net
Joomla! 2.5.14
Kunena 3.0.2
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by Oscarfishlover.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #2 by Slacker
Replied by Slacker on topic Shared Hosting
Have you cacheing like JotCache it caches also Kunena pages. I guess you have more visitors than members so most will not be logged in and then cacheing is great. JotCache caches also for tablets and smartphone. Cacheing will decrease the use of database server as cache is files and uses the apache server. The database server usually is the bottle neck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds