Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Avatar upload fails

More
11 years 6 months ago #1 by crazysuzy
Since installing Kunena with J1.7 we have never been able to upload avatars. I chalked it up to needing an upgrade of Joomla and Kunena. However, today I upgraded Kunena, Joomla and my YooTheme template to the most current versions. There has been no change in the avatar uploading issue. Below is my configuration report. Please note that we are able to successfully upload file attachments in posts; it is only the avatar uploads that are not working. File and directory permissions are set appropriately and all other system media uploads work as expected.

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 60 seconds | Max execution memory: 500M | Max file upload: 30M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : yoo_corona | author: YOOtheme | version: 5.5.15 | creationdate: June 2012

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle 2.0 | author: Kunena Team | version: 2.0.2 | creationdate: 2012-09-02

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 2.0.2 | 2012-09-02 [ Botschafter ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: UddeIM 2.8

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: None

Modules: Kunena Latest 2.0.2 | Kunena Login 2.0.2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Avatar upload fails
Most of these cannot-upload-avatar-images problems are caused by folder/file permissions issues. Look at the article Securing Kunena and, if necessary, discuss with your webhosting provider to make sure you have the ability for people to upload and store files on your site. That's where I would start.

This isn't a defect of Kunena. It's all related to how you have setup Joomla on your hosted environment.

More
11 years 6 months ago #3 by crazysuzy
Replied by crazysuzy on topic Avatar upload fails
Thank you Sozzled. The site is on a virtual dedicated server and I have total control on how it is configured. I have tried changing many of the PHP and Apache settings to no avail. Nothing is showing in the error logs. When I turned on Kunena's debugging the only error that I got was this:

Notice: Undefined property: JSimpleXMLElement::$params in /home/XXXX/public_html/libraries/joomla/html/parameter.php on line 398

And at one point it briefly flashed that MIME type .jpg was not set, even though it is. I have tried off and on for over six months to fix this. I cannot understand how I can upload files everywhere (including Kunena attachments), but cannot upload avatars. Do I need to chown the appropriate media directories to something other than my normal user? I have the permissions set to 775, but don't want to go any higher. My site administrator skills are limited, so it would be helpful if you could tell me where to start looking. I can also make a custom php.ini and change htaccess if that is needed.

Thank you for your help.

More
11 years 6 months ago #4 by sozzled
Thanks for your response. We agree that people should never exceeds the Joomla recommendations regarding folder/file security. Starting at the site root (and propagating throughout the site), folder permissions of 755 and file permissions of 644 should be adequate. That's not a hard-and-fast rule but that's what we would recommend as a starting point.

Devising rules of .htaccess files is well beyond the scope of this forum but, for most applications, using the standard Joomla .htaccess file - the one shipped with your installation as htaccess.txt - also should work for Apache installations.

If the MIME type of .jpg is not set in your Joomla global settings then, no, you would have a problem uploaded files of that type. Can you upload images within Kunena or is the problem localised to uploading images with users' avatars?

The only other thing I noticed from your configuration report that has me a little concerned is your customised Joomla menu. Have your tried using the default menu - the one that was created when you first installed Kunena?

More
11 years 6 months ago #5 by crazysuzy
Thank you. I tried disabling the custom menu, clearing the cache and trying to update my avatar. Still no good. As I said earlier, image uploads work fine throughout the site, including Kunena file attachments within posts. I have tried changing the Apache configuration, adding a custom php.ini for open_basedir to specify the tmp directory, removing open_basedir, all kinds of adjustments to the main PHP configuration, etc. I have completely run out of ideas, other than a possible jquery or javascript conflict if that even comes into play. I have also tried disabling the RSFirewall checks on Kunena and that made no difference.

More
11 years 6 months ago #6 by sozzled
There are many reasons why users cannot upload their own avatar images. The reasons include, but not limited to: folder/file security settings, Kunena forum configuration settings (although I could not see anything obvious from yours), file type, file size, reliability of connection/quality of service, PHP configuration settings, webserver (i.e. Apache) configuration settings, as well as things that reside in the "paranormal" unexplained - although I do not believe in goblins, ghosts or maleficent genies.

Javascript (obviously) comes into play because Javascript is responsible for opening the file dialog that allows you to select a file that you want to use as an avatar image.

The one piece of information missing from this [possibly easily-explained] case is how, specifically, the inability to upload the image manifests itself to the user. For example, is there an error message? Have you considered enabling Kunena debug mode to see if this helps reveal something not yet brought into evidence?

More
11 years 6 months ago #7 by crazysuzy
Yes, I have turned on debug mode several times to see what errors might be occurring. I just did it again and the only error that I got was this:

Notice: Undefined property: JSimpleXMLElement::$params in /home/xxxxx/public_html/libraries/joomla/html/parameter.php on line 398

Kunena goes through the motions like it is uploading the file and even says that my profile has been saved, but the avatar never updates, nor does the the image file make it in to the appropriate media directory. The avatar that I am trying to use is the same one that I have in my profile on this forum, which uploaded as expected. I also have gotten reports from many of my forum users that they also cannot upload an avatar. Not one of my several hundred forum users has a custom avatar, so I am pretty sure that no one can upload one.

Thank you for your prompt responses and for your time.

More
11 years 6 months ago #8 by sozzled
This is the first time I have seen that message. It does "obviously" look like the message is generated from Kunena; it looks like a more deeply-rooted issue in Joomla, to me. Have you tried the When all else fails, try this approach?
The following user(s) said Thank You: crazysuzy

More
11 years 6 months ago #9 by crazysuzy
Thank you Sozzled. I will try the all else fails approach. I had a feeling that this was the direction I was going to have to go.

Time to create page: 0.522 seconds