Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question 'mysqli' or MySQL

More
11 years 8 months ago #1 by xpatman
'mysqli' or MySQL was created by xpatman
Can you please answer in Plain English about 'mysqli' or MySQL

Now I have a lot of sites some 1.5, some 2.5.

Site one; now has Kunena 2.0 and I checked that "Kunena 2.0 supports only MySQL database, if you try to install Kunena 2.0 on any other kind of database the installation won't be executed."

It also has Listbingo 2.1 BOTH work

Site two ; Kunena 2.0 was installed but Listbingo 2.1 came back with "Gobingoo plugin requires MySQLi Database Driver. Please change your database configuration settings to 'mysqli'"

ListBingo - (Gobingoo) have said "We are using "MySqli" as recommended by joomla and MySqli is an improved version of MySql. It is object oriented and performs better than mysql."

LINK

So who is right and what should the non expert believe ??
:blink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic 'mysqli' or MySQL
There are two questions here.

One is the question about Kunena and mySQLi and, if the technical specifications for K 2.0 say "use mySQL" then I would be inclined to go along with that.

The other question is what is better to use with Joomla: mySQL or mySQLi? I don't know what the "experts" say, I only know what works for me. I do not use mySQLi in any of my webcraft (and I don't have problems using mySQL). That's just my personal opinion. What the experts may disagree on is for the "experts" and I haven't bothered to read the various discussions in the Joomla forum but if that is something you are interested in knowing then this is something you might like to pursue.

The K 2.0 Technical Specifications state:

Kunena 2.0 supports only MySQL database, if you try to install Kunena 2.0 on any other kind of database the installation won't be executed.

I don't know if that is a hard-and-fast rule but it's a guide in order to minimise the possibility of problems occurring. If something else works for you, that's good. If it doesn't work for you, then I suggest you use our recommendations.
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.393 seconds